April 2016 Moms

Is it hospital time?

I have been having consistent contractions for about 3 hours now. They are between 3-5 minutes apart however they are only about 30-45 seconds long. The intensity of them is definitely worsening. My doctor said to try and hold on until they are a minute long and excruciatingly painful. They are getting worse with each one I have. I am getting nervous as this is my first baby! Any advise on when to wait it out or when to go??

Re: Is it hospital time?

• I haven't yet been in labor, but my midwife says that if you have to ask yourself if you should go, it's not yet time to go. 
  • You could probably labor longer at home but every labor, pregnancy and woman is different. With my first I was sure they'd send me home. Same as you, not a minute long but I'd had them for about 5 hours and they weren't going anywhere. I was a 4 and the kept me and DS1 came 6 hours later. Entirely different with DS2! Consistent and longer, for 4 hours and we're increasing in intensity, yet I wasn't even at 3 when I went in. I also did not progress well once there and they had broken my waters. So I would say you have time, but if it's not going away and you're pretty much at your due date, I'd personally go get checked during the day vs at night. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Mine never got to be a minute long, but they definitely increased in intensity, and there came a point when I decided it was time because counter-pressure wasn't helping anymore and I wanted my epidural. I could still talk through my contractions when I went in, but I can't imagine posting on here while it was happening. When I got to the hospital, I was at a seven and progressing quickly. Whether or not it's time for you probably depends on how far from the hospital you are. If you're close I would wait it out a bit more. 
    kids with flags
  • This time around they did not last a minute but I knew it was time.  Labor was 4hrs start to finish.  I would go in and just see.  I was floored that after just two hours I was at an 8 cm.
  • I plan on going in when I have a hard time walking and talking through contrax, as well as having the shakes, which tells me that I'm in transition. This strategy worked well with baby #3. I was only in the hospital for 3 hrs before she was born.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I got sent home from the hospital twice with contractions like you are describing. 
    They llke them to be a minute long because those are the ones that dialate your cervix. 
    Food for thought. 
  • I went in to the hospital about two weeks ago with contractions like you're describing. I was sent home, but before leaving the doctor did another cervical check and she was pretty rough. That sent me into terrible contractions that were a minute long and two minutes apart. They only lasted about 15-20 mins, but I know that's what I'm looking for now. You definitely can't miss it.
  • Thank you all for the input! Baby boy is here and healthy! Everything progressed really quickly but we made it on time!