January 2016 Moms

Not wanting to transition to crib

I know how important it is for my son to be comfortable sleeping in his room and crib. I've read that you should make the transition to crib no later than 3 months or it's even more difficult. I know this...yet I can't do it (he's 3 months)!!! My LO has reflux so my initial reason to keep him in the rock n play was so that he was elevated. Then, he got sick to where I had to monitor his respirations so that was my next justification. Now, I have plans to go out of town for the next 2 weekends so it'll be a waste of time trying to transition before. Let's me real...I just want him near me...FOREVER!! I like waking up and seeing his little breaths or hearing his little noises letting me know he's ok. I feel like I'll be super anxious with him in another room. I know I need to cut the cord but I'm not ready!  Anyone have any tips or in the same boat?!

Re: Not wanting to transition to crib

• kaym6kaym6 member
    I have no advice but you are not alone I love being able to wake up and look over at my snuggly little man! 
  • I'm in the same boat. Baby girl sleeps next to me in the rock n play and she has reflux. I don't have any big advice because I'm not ready either!! I'm keeping her near me for now because she still has trouble eating etc and it's best if I get to her quickly before she cries. We did the same with my son who is 2 now and still has reflux. We didn't transition him to the crib until about 5 months and luckily it was easy. We started by putting the rock n play in the nursery and keeping the same bed time routine. And he did just fine! Hoping the same for this baby girl but soooo not ready to transition yet! Baby girl is not too picky about routine so I think she's gonna be okay with waiting. But if your baby is picky about routine I would take that into consideration. Good luck!!! :)
  • Loading the player...
  • All I can say is to follow your instincts. If you're not ready then that's probably your momma intuition kicking in. I've never heard to transition baby by 3 months, so I don't even plan on moving my baby anytime soon. I think we'll start when he's no longer eating at night. Do what works for you!
  • My LO has bad reflux and a result of it we had him napping in his bouncer for majority of his naps to keep him elevated. He decided that he likes the comfort of something touching his head/face because of it. He started to push his face against his bassinet so we transitioned him to pack n play. He then decided he liked to do 360's till he found a spot with his face against the side. Meaning against the non mesh side sometimes. I was planning on him being in our room for at least 5 months. But with me not sleeping afraid he was going to suffocate o felt I had no choice but to transition him to his crib last week (11 weeks old). My heart was so sad...BUT I got a wedge for under his mattress and a product called babyboom RESTE that basically holds him in position so he doesn't slide down or bang his head trying to get a comfy corner. Long story short, I slept on his room with him the first night. And he was so peaceful. It made me more confident with it and now it makes me enjoy our morning wake ups so much more. Love going into his room and see his face light up when he sees me. And on the bright side he went from 8hr stretches at night to 10-11. 
  • I never heard that you had to transition by 3 months.  I'm planning on waiting until 5 months (and I'd wait longer since room sharing is another SIDS mitigator, but I think that is the bassinet's own limit).  I'm a FTM so I have to idea if this will actually help, but she takes all of her naps in her room in her crib and at night goes to sleep in my room in her bassinet without me in there for the first few hours. I'm hoping those are all steps in the right direction. 
  • If you're not ready I wouldn't worry about it, I've also never heard of 3 months being the necessary time to transition - in fact room sharing is recommended for the first 6 months to reduce SIDS risk. I plan on trying to have DD nap in her crib more often during the day so she is used to it but won't be making the transition until at least 6 months - potentially even longer if I don't feel comfortable having her that far away from me. You have to do what feels right for you! 
  • kwentelakwentela member
    edited April 2016
    I would have loved to keep DS in his bassinet for longer. He just turned 17 weeks yesterday. I loved having him right next to me for ease of MOTN feedings but he is rolling over and smashing his little face against the edge of the bassinet as well as his arms are too long he's playing with the edges of the bassinet keeping himself awake at night. So it was time to transition to a crib and we don't have room for the crib In our bedroom, so off to the nursery he goes :'( Based off a recommendation from a friend I first had him sleep a night in the bassinet in the nursery and we've been attempting naps in the crib as well. Then the next night he was in the crib. I really with he was sleeping through the night so it was a little easier but he's having 4 month sleep regression so he got up 3 times last night before waking up for the day but that's better than the 4-5 times he was doing in the bassinet.
  • I know how you feel! I'm going to try letting him take naps in his crib. But at night I love having him beside me. It puts my mind at ease and I love seeing his sweet little face! 
    Me: 31 DH: 40
    Married 2012
    TTC #2 since July 2016
    PCOS diagnosed 2008
  • Do it when you're ready! We did it about 3 weeks ago and she sleeps so much better in her room Alone, Rather than in ours in her bassinet + 2 dogs on their beds too. Just too much waking her up. The first night was so hard on me and full of anxiety, but I love it now :) 
  • l4rkl4rk member
    Yeah. My LO is approaching 3 months but still wakes 4-5 times a night to feed so I'm keeping her nice and close until that stops...
  • I thought I had read 3 months as well, but now I can't seem to find a source. We had to move my babe at around 10 weeks to crib in his own room because he was quickly approaching the weight limit on his bassinet. I didn't want to have an unsafe sleeping environment because we didn't transition early enough so as much as I didn't want to, I moved him. He did great and I did miss him for the first few days but got over that quickly. 
    Just keep an eye out to see if there are any weight or developmental restrictions (rolling over) for what your baby is sleeping in now. If not, then keep him close as long as you want! 
  • kaym6kaym6 member
    I think we're going to start the transition tonight. We're going to have to transfer him out of the swaddle soon and I don't want to have to do them at the same time! I would keep him in his bassinet forever but I don't think it's safe too much longer :( 
  • I thought it was recommended for baby to stay in Parents' room for the first 6 months, but I don't know where I heard that now. We currently live in a one bedroom apartment so the little guy will be sharing with us until we move (hopefully by the end of Summer), but he does sleep in his crib at night. And sometimes even naps in it in the day but we're still working on that. He's 3 months today.
  • kaym6kaym6 member
    @Ebiejay I have also heard some pediatricians recommend 6 months to reduce the risk of sids! If my baby wasn't too heavy for the bassinet and rolling I wouldn't transition yet but his pediatrician and myself felt the crib would be safer, he's 4 months! 
  • My 3 month old is doing better at sleeping through the night, but we aren't quite there. I'd like to avoid running back and forth as much as possible. While I was on leave we were bed sharing but now that I'm back to work she sleeps in the bassinet, and eventually move to the crib so I won't wake her. Even though she's inches away I miss her next to me! I know I'm going to keep her as long as I can. I personally don't disagree with children sleeping in the bed with their parents. There's a lot of negativity about it, but if it makes your family happy and doesn't upset anyone else in the bed, than that's your choice.
  • We have the same situation in our house, two big dogs on their beds, the bassinet with baby and us in the room.  It get's pretty crowded and the baby was waking up frequently.  I couldn't stand the thought of her not being next to me but my SO talked me into it last friday night.  The 1st two nights she woke up a couple times and ended up back in her bassinet.  But since Sunday night, she has slept in there great and last night she only woke up once.  Not going to lie...it's nice to have our room back :blush: