November 2015 Moms
Options

Cloth diaper check in! #2

Hey mamas! For those of you cloth diapering, how's it going? How's your laundry routine? Favorite brands? Cutest prints?! Stash pics?! :) 

Re: Cloth diaper check in! #2

• Options
    We are loving our diapers. Just found a night time solution so we are officially out of disposables. I love our pocket diapers the best even though they're a pain to stuff every other day. I wash the diapers every other day and dry them in the sun! Except the hemp inserts cause I can't stand when they feel stiff. Just got a cute new bum genius aio (Albert!) and I'm loving it. 
  • Options
    The Albert Bumgenius are our favorite too!!! We have 3 of them. The rest of our diapers don't have prints on them because bumgenius only had the Albert available at the time and we didn't really want to pay more for the prints. 

We're working on a bedtime diapering solution, so if you could share yours that'd be great! We bought some pocket diapers and have stuffed those with the charcoal bamboo inserts, but my little guy is eating so much during the night he even soaked through that by 4 this morning! He pees soooooo much!

Our wash routine is light wash on warm w/ little detergent, heavy wash on hot with more detergent, extra rinse on cold, then line dry. I'm looking forward to when I can dry in the sun so the light poop stains I have go away!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sure! Our bedtime solution is a fuzzibuns pocket diaper with two micro fiber inserts. It's super bulky but who cares it's just bedtime lol. My baby is a super heavy wetter and it's worked well for us! :) 
  • Options
    My current fav is my Olaf Ella Bella Bum!  I'll post stash pic when the wash is done!  I also have Albert but it's the older print and a little different then yours (bought mine 2 years ago for DD1).  My stash is mostly bumgenius 4.0 and Flips (made by the makers of bumgenius).  I also have Spence, Marie, and Osa in my stash!  Wash is cold water rinse no soap, hot water heavy duty wash with 2 wet towels and regular liquid tide (helps with our hard water) and an extra rinse at the end without the towels.  
  • Options
    Stash shots.  The bottom two of the main stash pictures are training potty pants that DD1 used.  I have others put away upstairs that are more worn out as I grabbed extras thinking we'd have two in diapers but by the time Cora fit in the cloth our oldest was done!  Our nighttime is a Flip cover with a Flip stay dry microfiber insert with an Applecheeks bamboo booster.  I change her if we have a feeding through the night and no leaks with that.  If I try the bumgenius 4.0 she leaks through the night.
  • Options
     My favorite! 
  • Options
    Sure! Our bedtime solution is a fuzzibuns pocket diaper with two micro fiber inserts. It's super bulky but who cares it's just bedtime lol. My baby is a super heavy wetter and it's worked well for us! :) 
    That's what we do as well- fuzzibunz, Alva, knock off Alva, any of the pocket diapers double stuffed with micro fiber or bamboo liners. 
  • Options
    We use the knockoff Alva and had only been using one bamboo insert. Maybe we need two. This kid pees so much
  • Options
    Just wanted to say how jealous I am that you can use all-in-ones, or even pocket diapers. Everything I tried got soaked through with pee right away. The only thing that works for us is fitted liners and covers. It's fine...except that now LO is such a wiggle-worm, and doing a 2-step diaper is a pain. He won't lay still!! My favorites are Green Mountain's fitted cotton diaper and Osocozy's fitted cotton diaper. We have some hand-me-downs in other brands, but I'm not sure what they are. And while the snap covers work--and grow with LO--the Thirsties velcro ones are so much easier. 

Currently, I'm using Ecover Zero's HE liquid detergent. I do a warm rinse, 2 short hot wash cycles, and another warm rinse with vinegar. I'm super lazy and don't care about the integrity of my diapers, apparently, because I put them in the dryer.
  • Options
    @cupcakesforbreakfast I would totally put my diapers in the dryer of the tag didn't say "do not put in dryer." Apparently on the bumgenius diapers it wears out the elastic. My off brand ones could go in the dryer but I haven't bothered since I have to hang my bumgenius ones anyway 
  • Options
    We have 20 bum genius 4.0s. Wash routine is speed wash with a little detergent and then normal wash with highest soil setting on hot. We use liquid tide free and clear due to DD getting a rash with other detergents. We tumble dry the inserts and line dry the covers. We have the Albert but my favorite is either patch or love. 
  • Options
    @cupcakesforbreakfast I nannied for someone who used pocket diapers exclusively and she put everything in the dryer as well. And she was still using the same diapers for the second kid so I guess they survived :tongue: 
  • Options
    LimieLimie member
    We love our bum genius freetimes.  We have about 20. I also have prefolds and covers.  My favorite is bg serpenski. My wash routine is a light wash cold water with line 1 or 2 of gain liquid.  Then heavy wash hot water line 5 gain liquid.  Covers get hung to dry everything else goes in the dryer on low heat.  
  • Options
    I would like to try cloth diapers but what would it need?
  • Options
    rachswirachswi member
    edited April 2016
    I would like to try cloth diapers but what would it need?
    I've found that it's good to have at least 12 diapers (we actually have 31 but only go through 8-10 a day at this point). The things in addition to the diapers that I've found incredibly useful (especially now that he's into solids) is a diaper sprayer and the spray pal (it's basically a shield you put around the diaper so you aren't spraying poop water everywhere). Also wet-dry bags for when you're out and about. 

You'll want to mess with your wash routine to find something that works for you (obviously we each have a slightly different routine since we have different washers).

The diapers we mostly use are the all-in-ones (ours are bumgenius but they are pricey). For night time we've started double stuffing LBB pocket diapers (Amazon brand). I really do like the all-in-ones so much better because they are so much easier to use and I don't have to take time to stuff them. 

We currently still use disposable wipes because we were given sooooo many wipes before LO was born. I think we'll make our own cloth wipes once we are out of disposable (lots of instructions on Pinterest) because then we can just wash those with the diapers instead of having an extra garbage can that stinks to high heaven

eta that we have used 2 disposable diapers since making the switch when he was 5 weeks old... We love cloth diapers and don't plan to ever go back 
  • Options
    gipfishgipfish member
    edited April 2016
    Squirtgun said:
     My favorite! 
    I NEED THIS. Where can I find one?

I use mostly flips, and love them. Someone gifted me a pocket diaper, and I can't stand it. It is difficult to stuff and gross to unstuff. She leaks through in one pee even with two inserts. And you have to wash it after just one use. Yuck, not for me. I love my flips. They're super easy.

Anybody have any stain removal tips for inserts? Since Jane has been eating solids, her poop has been leaving faint stains on her inserts (both the microfiber and the cotton, but mostly the cotton), and they have been getting more prominent over time.

ETA, the main thing I love about cloth diapering is using cloth wipes. No yucky chemicals on my baby's bottom! I soak my cloth wipes in a solution with coconut oil, lavender, and melaleuca (tea tree oil). The lavender and melaleuca are Doterra, which is a super safe brand. Then I squeeze the excess water, fold them and put them in the wipe warmer. She likes them, and after wiping her, I use an extra wipe for my hands. It's a great moisturizer!
  • Options
    @gipfish the best thing I've found for stains is sunning the diapers!!! :) my little one stains the diapers when his poop is green (occasionally) 
  • Options
    Thanks, I'll try that! :-)
  • Options
    SquirtgunSquirtgun member
    edited April 2016
    @gipfish

It's a babygoal diaper, it came as a part of a set 
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01CSD3G6Q/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    But it looks like Alva has the same pattern:
    https://www.amazon.com/Printed-Design-Reuseable-Washable-Inserts/dp/B0186QIEHA

Edit to add-  it's a pocket diaper, though. Noticed you don't like those. You can use an unstuffed pocket diaper for a swimmy diaper, though, if you just want to have the diaper. 
  • Options
    I didn't know you could use pocket diapers as swim diapers! That's great info, as I might be taking Jane swimming next week, and I was going to buy disposable swim diapers. Thanks for the links as well. :-)
  • Options
    @gipfish sunning for sure!

For the pockets, half the time I just lay a prefold on top instead of stuffing them with inserts! 

I took a cloth diaper class and we were told to never use regular cloth diaper covers as swim diapers as it is damaging to the pul liner.  We bought a Applecheeks swim diaper and it works great
  • Options
    Squirtgun said:
    @gipfish

It's a babygoal diaper, it came as a part of a set 
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01CSD3G6Q/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    But it looks like Alva has the same pattern:
    https://www.amazon.com/Printed-Design-Reuseable-Washable-Inserts/dp/B0186QIEHA

Edit to add-  it's a pocket diaper, though. Noticed you don't like those. You can use an unstuffed pocket diaper for a swimmy diaper, though, if you just want to have the diaper. 
    I was wondering whether I could use pocket diapers for swimming.  I thought so, but wasn't sure.  Thank you for confirming it.
    If there's something strange underneath the hood.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  If there's something weird and it don't look good.  Who you gonna call?  Your Doctor.  Immediately.  If it's new, painful, and possibly pregnancy related get your ass off the internet and call your doctor.  It's for your health and your child's. 

• Options
    nmwheel1 said:

For the pockets, half the time I just lay a prefold on top instead of stuffing them with inserts! 

I took a cloth diaper class and we were told to never use regular cloth diaper covers as swim diapers as it is damaging to the pul liner.  We bought a Applecheeks swim diaper and it works great
    Well, I don't know then! I've always used an unstuffed pocket diaper, BUT, we just have a little inflatable baby pool or we go to the beach. 
  • Options
    Squirtgun said:
    nmwheel1 said:

Well, I don't know then! I've always used an unstuffed pocket diaper, BUT, we just have a little inflatable baby pool or we go to the beach. 
    It's probably the pools that are bad!  I took the class 2 years ago and can't recall their specific reason as to not use them, but we don't live by the ocean or swimable lakes (just very cold glacier fed lakes), so it was more on the subject of public swimming pools!
  • Options
    Google says the chlorine affects the absorbency, so once you use a pocket diaper in a chlorine pool, you can only ever use it for swimming. Obviously you don't get absorbency while swimming anyway.  I avoid chlorine pools because I'm allergic. Saltwater pools still have some chemicals in them, though.