March 2016 Moms
Options

Nighttime Zzzz's

So what do your night times look like?  What's your MOTN routine?  Just curious what everyone is doing, and if it's what you saw yourself doing before you brought your LO home.

Re: Nighttime Zzzz's

• Options
    We go to bed between 10-11. DS gets a bottle, swaddled, and put in the RNP by our bed.  He wakes up every 3 hours (4 if we're lucky) to eat.  We leave the lights off and only change him if we hear or smell poop.  He's not in a heavy sleep when we lay him down, he usually pops his eyes back open a few minutes...and sometimes I have to pop the paci back in a few times, but overall he does well.  

Its pretty much much what we did with DS, except the paci concept is new.  And DS slept longer stretches at this point.  But I know it's completely normal. You usually don't get lucky twice  ;)

Anniversary

• Options
    My LO gets 4 ounces & then I lay her down afterwards in the rock and play & she'll sleep about 4.5-5.5 hours then wake up for another bottle, I only change her if she's poopy, & I don't turn on any lights. I lay her down after that & she'll sleep another 3-4 hours then we're up for the day. She's been doing this since 5 weeks. She's 8 weeks now :) sometimes she doesn't go right back to sleep after the motn feeding, it's usually bc she needs to be burped then I just lay her back down, most of the time she's out but sometimes she'll have her eyes open & eventually falls asleep on her own. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    SarahJean1014SarahJean1014 member
    edited April 2016
    My boys have their last feeding around 9 up in their room. We read stories during that time then swaddle them up and lay them in their cribs. They typically sleep to 2 or 3. I will wake the sleeping twin and change diapers beforing feeding. After they finish I reswaddle and lay them back down. They will wake up for the day around 7/8.

I'm pretty lucky that they are good sleepers at night and don't require a lot of soothing to get back to sleep.
  • Options
    My LO has her last feed at 7 pm  and usually sleeps till about 1am then i feed her (no lights o nappy change except poop) amd back down until about 4-5am. After that its a bit hit and miss. Sometimes she goes back down and sleeps till about 8, sometimes only till about 6.30. Last night we had a new record. 8pm till 3am, then feed and back down till 7.30!
  • Options
    My LO takes 4 ounces around 8:30-9 and then we do bath time. After that we go into her room and turn on the sound machine and swaddle her. I rock her and she usually eats another ounce or two and then I put her in her crib. She usually wakes between 4-5 and eat another 4oz and then passes back out until 8. She hates being wet so she gets changed no matter what or she won't go back to sleep.

Last night she slept from 9:30 to 7am which was our longest stretch.  I woke up in a panic at 6am because she hadn't woken up yet. 
  • Options
    Wow, so jealous of these long sleeping bebes! We start our bedtime routine around 8:30-DH puts on clean diaper and jammies while I get the white noise machine started in our room. We swaddle DS and then I feed him-he usually eats for about 35-40 minutes at night-then into the pack and play. He usually is asleep around 9:30-9:45. 

His is first wake up is generally around 12:30 then again around 4. Sometimes he eats, sometimes will just sit on the boob for a few minutes. We are trying to only change him if he pooped but that seems to be the case 95% of the time. 

Then around 6:45 he's staring at me, so DH will pick him up and get his cuddles in in bed before getting ready for work. 

DS is seven weeks and it's about what I expected, however I keep hearing stories of other LOs going 4, 5, or even 6 hours and I can't help but feel jealous when the longest we've gotten is 3.5 hours! 
  • Options
    He snacks all evening (1 oz here, 1oz there) until about 9-ish, then falls asleep on my chest in bed. I put him in his bassinet and he's asleep until around 4 am, yesterday he slept until 5:45 (!!). Then I bring him to his room so I can go make him a bottle without his crying waking my husband, he gets a diaper change, eats for about 30 minutes (usually no more than 2oz total, he's a snacker) and goes back to sleep in his bassinet for another couple of hours.

I had an easy first baby and even with that experience this is just crazy. He's a dream! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We start our last feeding around 9:30 and put him down swaddled between 10 and 10:30 in the rock n play in our room. We don't really have a bedtime routine yet, but will probably start one around two months (he's six weeks now). 

He wakes up sometime in the 3:00 hour, I nurse him and change him. We are in the living room because he doesn't have his own bedroom. I swaddle him again and he goes back down until about 7. Sometimes he wakes up around 6 and I can pull him into bed with me for an hour or so to get a little more sleep. 

Its pretty much what I expected, because it's similar to how my first two were. He's actually sleeping a bit better than they were. My older two became terrible sleepers around 3-4 months though and didn't get back on track until they were one or so. I'm hoping that doesn't happen again, but I am totally expecting it!

• Options
    ugh @kh1824I despise the 4 month sleep regression! DD was the same, she slept amazingly as a newborn and then didn't really resume sleeping until a year. I'm hesitant to even speculate about this one. The early weeks mean so little in the long run :-/ 
  • Options
    DS gets a bath about 7, I switch the main light off in the bed room and switch on our salt lamp and sound machine at 8. Last feeding is normally at 8:30. He is normally asleep from 9-1 am, wakes for feeding and changing (I do not turn salt lamp back on for this, the street light outside our window gives us just enough light to get this done), then he sleeps to about 6 am.
  • Options
    DD usually eats her last bottle about 9:30 then up to bed where we change into pjs and do some nighttime lotion on any of her dry spots, it's been wicked dry here in CO. She is usually asleep by about 10:30. Then up at 1:30-2 for a diaper change and a bottle. then she usually goes down till about 4 when she wants another bottle. She and I usually then cat nap till about 7:30 then we are up for the day. Currently transitioning from her bassinet in our room to the crib in hers. I wake up to every noise she makes to keep her from waking my DH from waking up, so I feel like she would probably self soothe and sleep in longer stretches if I didn't here every gurgle and coo. 

• Options
    Evelyn is a great sleeper, 8 straight hours last night.  She went down at 9 and was slightly stirring at 5 but my boobs were about to explode so I woke her to eat.  Out of all 4 kids none have slept like this.  In fact ds3 never slept more than 2 hours at a time until 10 weeks, and I wasn't doing anything differently.  Some kids are just crap sleepers, most are pretty average and some end up great, it's mostly luck of the draw at this point.
  • Options
    Well I am feeling like the slacker mom... DS is just over 6 weeks & we don't have a nighttime routine :( He is still in our room in a bassinet, we'll be transitioning to the crib tonight, still in our room though. DS was going to have a crib outside our room but he's outgrowing the bassinet faster than I thought. The master & spare bedrooms are on different floors and this FTM doesn't want to deal with that yet.

DH has been awesome and takes over every night between 9:30 & 10:30 so mom gets a decent stretch of sleep. They head to bed between 11:30 & 1:00 depending on LO. I then get the motn feedings. This has varied greatly sometimes DS will only sleep 3 hours before feeding other times he'll sleep 5.5 hours. I will go make a bottle, then he gets changed, then we go out to the living area to have the bottle in the rocking chair where mom watches TV. He does take 5-20 minutes of extra cuddling in our room before he goes back down for the next stretch. So maybe no TV watching for mom? I just don't want to feed him in our room so DH gets some sleep. So we'll have to see what changes need to be made as DS gets bigger. 
  • Options
    Between 7:30 and 8, start bedtime routine - Change, PJs, nurse one side, swaddle arms out, nurse other side.  He usually falls asleep nursing.  Put in his crib in his room between 8:30-9.  He usually wakes up between 2-3.  Change, nurse one side for 1minute, then the other side for 10 minutes because he falls asleep after 10 minutes (if I don't do the 1 minute side, my boob will explode since he's a great sleeper).  Wake between 5-6, depending on what time he got up before (this stretch is a 3-hour stretch of sleep).  If he wakes up at 5, I'll nurse and put him back down.  If he wakes up at 6, I usually get him up and ready for the day since we leave the house at 7 for work.
    DS1 - 9/21/11
    DS2 - 7/4/14
    DS3 - 2/21/16
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Our family of 5 is complete!!  Love our boys!

• Options
    We usually head to bed around 9-10pm so I take Porter to his room, change his diaper, swaddle him up then dim the salt lamp down very low and feed him in the rocking chair. He usually falls asleep on the boob once done eating and I'm able to get him in his crib without him waking. He usually sleeps 3-4 hours then wakes up for a diaper change and another feeding, once he's back down in the crib, he's down for another 2-3 hours and is up typically around 5-6AM for yet another diaper change and feeding. At this point, DH is up and getting ready for work so I bring LO into our room and let him sleep with me then we are usually up between 8-9AM and are up for the day. 

I get more sleep throughout the night than I was anticipating and he usually feeds for 10-20 minutes at night before we are back to sleep!
  • Options
    DS is almost 4 weeks old and we are still working on an evening routine. Right now we go to bed at 10. I nurse one side, change diaper, nurse other side, and then we go to sleep. Right now we bed share, since I can't get him to sleep in the rnp at night. We usually get one 3 hour stretch and then we nurse again. Usually he wakes up again 2 hrs later and we nurse. Following that he usually wants to nurse for a couple minutes here and there which I do side lying. This fussy time usually is around 4 or 5 and lasts until around 7:30 when we get up for the day. He was diagnosed with reflux today, so hopefully the medicine will help and our nights will go smoother. I would also like to transition him to his cosleeper soon. I'm jealous of everyone else's sleep stretches, I can't lie! 
    BFP #1 - 12/30/12 - EDD 9/13/13 - CP

BFP #2 - 2/13/13 - EDD 10/24/13 - born 10/29/13 - Kian Edward

BFP #3 - 7/16/15 - EDD 3/27/16 - born 3/23/16 - Liam James

Pregnancy Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    We start our bedtime routine EARLY. She will get a 3oz bottle between 6:30 and 7:30pm depending on what happens with our dinner. It works best with a 6:30 bottle. But after that she gets swaddled in her Halo swaddle sack. If she is really tired then DH will rock her to sleep then put her in the crib and turn on her sound machine. If she is awake and not nodding off we'll put her in the Mamaroo and put muslin blanket over the top like a little tent and it will lull her to sleep (the Mamaroo is in the living room but she still falls asleep in it no matter what kind of noise is happening). We'll get her up again at 10 pm for another 3oz bottle for a dream feed and change her (she will not go to sleep if she has a dirty diaper). We put her back in her swaddle sack with arms in, she still startles and scratches at her face, and then she always goes in her crib. Then she sleeps until 4:30-5:30am and I nurse her. She gets up again between 7:30-8:30am and will either be awake or want to nap after her next nursing. Then we just kind of go with the flow on her naps during the day. She is almost 3 months and up until about 2 weeks ago I realized that her 1:30am rustlings were more of me waking her up to feed than her needing to feed. I think she just had her BMs from her previous feeding at that time which made her grunt and wiggle around. Once I stopped going in and getting her up all the way out of sleep she started going until 4:30-5:30am, that's my 2 cents.
  • Options
    @jcarder13 i think we are having the same with our LO. I was getting her up to feed her when i heard her stir between 12-1am but theres been a few times ive fallen back asleep instead of getting up and then she doesnt wake until 3ish. Its hard to pick it though, becuase the one time i decided to lie in bed and wait she woke up properly and then it took an hour to settle her back to sleep! It will be really nice when her sleeping becomes a little more predictable, but
    at 8 weeks i guess i have a while to go! Last night she slept from 7Pm till 3.45am! 
  • Options
    We as a family all head to the bedroom at 9 pm. We brush our teeth and LO coos from his changing table next to my sink. He gets his diaper changed. Next we all get in the bed and might play a little bit before eating. LO eats from one breast then he gets swaddled and burped and has the other breast where he falls asleep. Then he gets placed in his rock n play next to my bed. This is usually around 10. If we're lucky, he will make it to 4am before wanting to feed. When he does wake to feed, he gets unswaddled and diaper changed by DH. Then he eats one breast, gets reswaddled, and has the other breast where he falls asleep again. 
  • Options
    amyidamyid member
    Wow reading all these posts makes me realize that I need to chill out ! My baby eats usually around midnight and I will pump to make sure she's had 3+ ounces and will sleep for a long stretch, sometimes she will take 4+ ounces. She sleeps for around 3 hours and then we nurse for anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour.. She's pretty slow to nurse thus why I have started liking pumping and bottle feedings in the middle of the night.. I set my alarm for every 3 hrs though and I think after reading all these comments I need to get some sleep and see if I can go 4 hrs at night 
  • Options
    No routine here yet. DD is 4 weeks today and we haven't thought about starting any bedtime routine with her yet. I BF on demand and do not check the clock during night. DS who is almost 4 years however have a bedtime routine so I guess we'll eventually put DD on the same routine. So far DD has been very easy and sleeps quite well at night. I'll do 3-5 feedings.