January 2016 Moms

Baby food.

Re: Baby food.

• @kimber308  it is a faster flow. I was finding she was getting really bad gas and I thought maybe with level one she was sucking too hard and getting too much air so I change her to level two and she hasn't had any gas since. Could be coincidence. But I do find that she is telling me when she's full now as opposed to with level one she wasn't. It's worth a try even for a day but I would just let you try it or not the daycare
  •  @cali1710 thank you so much! I'll pick some up today and have daycare give it a try tomorrow. I'm willing to try anything, but cereal or foods. She's just not ready... but I also know that she doesn't need more milk. I appreciate it!
  • Loading the player...
  • Here is info from the American Academy of Pediatrics (both sites are AAP). While introducing foods is at a parents discretion, you still need to know if you baby is physically up to the task of eating solid foods. It's also not recommended to give them more than breastmilk or formula unless they are 6 months or older.

https://www.healthychildren.org/English/ages-stages/baby/feeding-nutrition/Pages/Switching-To-Solid-Foods.aspx

https://www.aap.org/en-us/advocacy-and-policy/aap-health-initiatives/HALF-Implementation-Guide/Age-Specific-Content/Pages/Infant-Food-and-Feeding.aspx
  • Our pediatrician gave us the go ahead after four months with our last baby and she took to solids immediately. This baby just turned four months and we tried a little and he is just not ready. Babies are different, just try after your pediatrician says ok and then see if your baby is ready, they might not necessarily be ready. 

Also, we used baby brezza last time and loved it! I would not recommend it if you like to make big batches all at once, but for your everyday meal making it was great. I like the cook/blend option as you just throw the food in there and hit one button and it cooks and blends while you are doing other stuff, super easy. It also comes with cookbook and containers that you can thaw food in the machine as well. 

• Eek, thanks for all the input. Today's the first day I've been able to come back since I posted. 
    Ds is on cereal because the child wants to eat every 1.5-2hrs. So my pediatrician recommended cereal. I don't give exactly what they recommended I give a lot less and every other bottle. 
    Hes 4monthd today, and doesnt go back to the doctor for another two weeks, I absolutely refuse to do anything without consulting a doctor. I'm just wanting him to stay fuller longer. 
    I wasn't intending to start a debate, just wanted input on making baby food. 
    Thanks 
  • Eek, thanks for all the input. Today's the first day I've been able to come back since I posted. 
    Ds is on cereal because the child wants to eat every 1.5-2hrs. So my pediatrician recommended cereal. I don't give exactly what they recommended I give a lot less and every other bottle. 
    Hes 4monthd today, and doesnt go back to the doctor for another two weeks, I absolutely refuse to do anything without consulting a doctor. I'm just wanting him to stay fuller longer. 
    I wasn't intending to start a debate, just wanted input on making baby food. 
    Thanks 

As long as his doctor is recommending it, then go for it! I say that because that doctor physically examines him and knows his history. You are doing exactly what you should be doing!
  • @PedsIsHardcore I will discuss it with her the next visit. 
    Or maybe adding something to his diet to keep him full... 
    My poor little chunker
  • jessjuhnkejessjuhnke member
    edited April 2016
    kimber308 said:
    I have a legitimate question.

My daycare just told my husband this morning that my daughter is sucking down her 5oz breastmilk bottles and needs more. They said she either needs more oz at once or preferably cereal in her milk. We told them absolutely no way. 

How do we keep her satisfied at daycare? 

She gets 3 5oz bottles in a 6.5 hour time frame. At home she gets the breast and has no issues whatsoever, but I'm having a hard time believing she's sucking more then 5 oz from me at one sitting. That seems like a lot...

Confused...
    What type of bottles do you use? I use Dr. Brown and if you don't take out all the pieces and cap them before warming them like they do at daycare a lot of milk can evaporate out. This happened at our daycare but the lady was noticed it and brought it up so I brought in a cap. Maybe a similar thing could be happening at yours and LO is actually not getting the full 5 per serving. And by cap I mean a screw on top not the one that just cover the nipple.
  • @kimber308In my experience, people automatically assume a baby is hungry whenever he/she cries. Every time we take LO out and he fusses we are immediately asked if he's hungry even if he just ate. It gets old having to consistently tell everyone LO isn't hungry all the time. I know they mean well but babies fuss for a multitude of reasons, not just hunger. Maybe ask your LOs daycare to offer a pacifier first before giving more milk.  15oz in 6.5hrs sounds like A LOT to me. 

How many oz does your LO take during the weekend? A good rule of thumb is 2.2oz per pound of body weight throughout a 24hr period. 
  • 012016 said:
    @kimber308In my experience, people automatically assume a baby is hungry whenever he/she cries. Every time we take LO out and he fusses we are immediately asked if he's hungry even if he just ate. It gets old having to consistently tell everyone LO isn't hungry all the time. I know they mean well but babies fuss for a multitude of reasons, not just hunger. Maybe ask your LOs daycare to offer a pacifier first before giving more milk.  15oz in 6.5hrs sounds like A LOT to me. 

How many oz does your LO take during the weekend? A good rule of thumb is 2.2oz per pound of body weight throughout a 24hr period. 
    It gets annoying when everyone assumes a crying baby needs food. No people I'm not starving my child. Shes tired and fighting naps. 

My LO eats 6oz every 3-3.5 hours. Sometimes 4. So I wouldnt say 15 oz is 6.5 hours is a crazy amount but if its not what he usually eats then yes its a lot for him. 
  • edited May 2016
    *Removed due to TOU violation*
  • @PedsIsHardcore could you tell us what exactly causes shitforbrains? 
    Feline cognitive dysfunction?
     :D Dying.
    Me:28 DH:35
    Married: 7.23.11
    DD:10.17.12
    EDD #2!:1.17.16 

• @PedsIsHardcore could you tell us what exactly causes shitforbrains? 
    Feline cognitive dysfunction?
    Haha, yessssss!!!!!!!
  • Cricket99Cricket99 member
    edited April 2016

Eta: gif fail.... 
  • AlabamaWorleyAlabamaWorley member
    edited April 2016

Fuck this, gif fail. 
  • nickicb7 said:
    I'm with them ^^^ ignorance is not an excuse people! It doesn't get you out of a ticket and it isn't an excuse for poor parenting choices. You want to have a baby and raise them, read, research, know what's best. Science evolves for a reason. You may not need a license to have kids, but you should at least be responsible enough to educate yourself on the most up-to-date practices. 
    All of this!!! Well said @nickicb7
  • nickicb7 said:
    I'm with them ^^^ ignorance is not an excuse people! It doesn't get you out of a ticket and it isn't an excuse for poor parenting choices. You want to have a baby and raise them, read, research, know what's best. Science evolves for a reason. You may not need a license to have kids, but you should at least be responsible enough to educate yourself on the most up-to-date practices. 
    Agreed. Doctors don't always stay current with their reading and such. Just like every profession, there are good ones and bad ones. A doctor who isn't staying up to date with SCIENTIFIC research is doing a disservice to their patients. As a parent it is your responsibility to be your child's advocate and if someone you are paying to take care of your child's health is giving you bad advice (advice that an entire group of non-medical professionals can tell you is wrong/dangerous), then you need to find someone else. Not all doctors are created equal. If my ped told me to give Chloe solids right now, I would at the VERY least get a second opinion.
  • changing the topic...

STM or moms who have already began, what foods (other then rice cereal) did you start with? 
  • cali1710 said:
    changing the topic...

STM or moms who have already began, what foods (other then rice cereal) did you start with? 
    The D15' FB group that I am part of, many women have begun giving avocado and sweet potatoes.  Those are the two most common ones I've seen. Majority have skipped on the rice cereal, per the lack of benefits that have been mentioned by some of the posters here about cereal.