October 2016 Moms
Options

Do women always get sick before labor?

With my first child I was really nauseous a few days before delivery. Would that be the same or worse or maybe nothing since my body has gone through it already?

Answers

• Options
    I wasn't nauseous before being in labor, but I couldn't keep anything down the whole day I was actually in labor. None of my friends had that experience, though.
  • Options
    I was nauseous *during* labor but not beforehand. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was the same as TurtleMomma.  I puked a couple times while I was getting into the delivery room, but had no nausea anytime before I started labor.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I wasn't nauseous in the days leading up or during. But I was induced at 41 weeks, so didn't go into labor naturally. Not sure if that would make a difference. 
  • Options
    F47F47 member
    I want nauseous before or during labor. I wasn't induced, just went into labor on my own at 41 weeks. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Mintz1982Mintz1982 member
    edited April 2016
    I was not physically sick for either of my kids, I was sick of being pregnant though. My son was so long I was running stairs and around the block. My daughter my water was broken from me laughing so hard at a stupid joke I myself made. My water breaking just made me laugh harder. Watch this time I'll be a puking mess. Natural with my son cervical with my daughter she had IUGR she had to be out by her due date.
  • Options
    NoraAuroraNoraAurora member
    edited April 2016
    I ate recalled ice cream (listeria), vomited uncontrollably for hours, and went into labor/delivered on my due date. So I think this is not usual...so I'm no help. GL
  • Options
    Never had a problem with nausea before labor.. I puked a couple times while pushing with my oldest and people get sick during transition a lot, but not leading up to it! :) I feel like with my second son my appetite was a little diminished when I was in labor with him though.. (labored the majority of the day Sunday and into sunday night and delivered early Monday morning :))
  • Options
    I wasn't sick before or during labor. I went into labor on my own and actually ate throughout my entire labor :)
          Fell in love: Dec 2005 // Married: Feb 9, 2013

Little Miss Rosalie Harper--Born Jan 9th, 2014
  • Options
    I was throwing up during labor (pushing stage) with my DD and then threw up during labor (about 8 cm during contractions) with my DS. I really think it's different for everyone. I get motion sickness from just about everything, have my whole life, and just tend to be queasy pretty easily while not pregnant. 
  • Options
    I threw up while laboring in the tub, but I think it was because I overheated. Otherwise I didn't have anything other than the usual morning sickness leading up to labor. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I had no signs or symptoms that labor was approaching until I had my first contraction. I wasn't sick during labor either. My best friend vomited uncontrollably for over an hour during labor though!
    BabyGaga
  • Options
    I didn't experience any kind if nausea while laboring, TTM here, but who knows about next time!
  • Options
    TTM here too, I've never been sick before or during labor. Although, I know it's common to get sick during transition, I never have. I've also never thrown up from morning sickness. Queasy, yes, actually sick, no. Maybe this comes from a lifetime of migraines and learning the magic to warding off the sickness lol. 

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    With my 1st I was literally sick the whole 9 months, I was always throwing up so I would not have known the difference. With my 2nd I was not sick before labor but while getting my epidural my bp dipped really low (that's normal for me when I get anesthesia) and I started throwing up all over myself. 
  • Options
    I wasn't nauseous before or during labor. I didnt have an appetite during most of labor but that's normal. Drugs can increase the chance that you throw up during labor just because it's something new for your body (epidural, pitocin and other IV drugs), but even with drugs it's different woman to woman.
    DS 5/10/13
    New Bundle of Joy- EDD 10/27/16
  • Options
    I didn't throw up with either kids. Fingers crossed I don't this time either.  Puking is the worst :( I had no appetite. DH kept trying to force feed me pieces of cooked chicken during contractions. I think I actually spat chicken at him and yelled at him,  "I will choke if you keep putting chicken in my mouth during contractions!!!". Lol. 

O16 April Siggy
  • Options
    I didn't throw up with either kids. Fingers crossed I don't this time either.  Puking is the worst :( I had no appetite. DH kept trying to force feed me pieces of cooked chicken during contractions. I think I actually spat chicken at him and yelled at him,  "I will choke if you keep putting chicken in my mouth during contractions!!!". Lol. 
    Oh my god that sounds AWFUL! My stomach is turning even thinking of eating chicken (of all things!) during labor! Points to him for trying to be helpful, but...no  :s
  • Options
    I was not sick at all during labor...began on it's own at 37 weeks 6 days and she was born early the morning of 38 weeks. Midwife broke my water. Entered the hospital at 9-10 with some serious back labor. 
  • Options
    I threw up during delivery with both DD and DS but I think it was because of the oxygen mask. I didn't feel sick before hand.
  • Options
    I felt fine the whole time before labor and even when my water broke I was feeling fine and having no contractions. During labor I wasn't feeling sick either. 

Me: 33 DH: 39
    DD 1: 5-24-13
    TTC#2: BFP: 8-23-15 MMC: 10-29-15
    DD 2: 9-15-16
    DD 3: 9-16-17

• Options
    I'm with others who said they weren't sick prior to labor, but I did get sick during labor.  I don't know if it was because of the epidural, antibiotics (I was GBS+), or because I was in transition or something, but I threw up several times a couple hours before I gave birth.  They asked if I wanted zofran or other anti-nausea meds and I said no...I didn't want to risk getting constipated for the dreaded first poo post delivery!

Baby BOY due 10-8-16
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @sidecarsareforbishes That is a VERY valid reason to turn down meds! Oh that first poo... I'd almost forgetting you, old enemy...
  • Options
    Oh I was taking stool softeners almost immediately after delivery, I was scared to death @AllyTheKid ...even the first pee was a little terrifying.  But after taking zofran during my first pregnancy and vividly remembering the craaaazy constipation, I wasn't going near that shit!  So #2 wasn't actually that bad.

Baby BOY due 10-8-16
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Short answer is, no. 

No ones labor is the same. 

But I think my first clue was feeling pisses that I thought I was getting sick. I felt alittle feverish and achy. I remember thinking, I better not get sick so close to my due date!! Contractions started later that night. 
  • Options
    ***lurking from November***

With DD I was really sick weeks 6-17 and I got sick maybe 6-7 times during labor.  I didn't have meds, so I think it's just how my body reacted to labor.   My nurse said each time I threw up it was like having 5 contractions. I doubt it's true, but it made me feel better at the time. It's really not a big deal they have bags and if you don't make it in the bag they clean it up fast. Looks like I'm in the minority though.