Baby Names
Options

Due this week, need girl name help!

I am due this week with our second girl and I need some advice. For a couple months now, we had been settled on Molly Katherine. I like the idea of calling her Molly Kate but thought the more formal Katherine was better for her actual name. The thing is, my childhood dog was Molly. Is this too weird? I honestly can't decide. My husband knew the dog as well but doesn't have an issue with using Molly. My dad and brother have both said its a little odd. My mom doesn't seem phased by it. Am I overthinking it?

Other names we've tossed around are Lila, Hannah and Stella. Do we go with one of those instead?? I'm worried about the popularity of those though and like that Molly is a bit more unheard of. 

Big sister is Caroline Audrey. Thanks for the help!
Anniversary

Re: Due this week, need girl name help!

• Options
    I don't think it's that weird. It might depend how long ago the dog has passed too. If it was like, last year it would be weirder than like 5+ years ago. I do like Hannah Katherine - Hannah Kate too though!
  • Options
    Thank you for your input. She passed away 5 years ago so I'm thinking the only people who really still remember her at this point are my immediate family...?
    Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think you are overthinking it and it's normal to do so close to the due date. I did with all three. Of the other three Hannah is the only one I consider as good as Molly and Caroline. It's also not as stamped to right now as Lila and Stella 

• Options
    It would be a little strange to me. But no one will even be thinking about the dog anymore when they see your beautiful baby! Molly is my favorite of your names, with Hannah coming in second. 
    My furchildren, Dorothy and Johnny :)
  • Options
    I think it's a little weird. Dogs, to me, are members of the family so naming someone the same name would be odd. 
    BabyGaga
  • Options
    I think it's fine.  Once the baby arrives and you start using the name people will get over it.
  • Options
    I don’t think it's too big of a deal, though I fall on the side of its only weird if you named the dog.
  • Options
    It's a little unusual but I wouldn't worry about it. Molly Katherine is a lovely name so I would use it. 
  • Options
    I wouldn't think twice about it. Your other name choices are great too though. 
  • Options
    I named my daughter the same as my childhood dog because I loved the name even then. Hasn't been brought up once since she was born, no one remembers except my immediate family and they all love the name too. 
  • Options
    Molly is also a major designer drug that people are overdosing on left and right these days. Essentially the newest formulation of ecstasy. Just something else to consider. 

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/mdma-ecstasymolly 

• Options
    My mom's name is Molly Catherine. It's a great name. :)

I don't think the dog thing is weird. It's just a name. If you really love it, then go for it.
    houston, tx. eharmony 7.3.11. married 3.7.15. oilfield wife.

• Options
    It's a little unusual but not that big of a deal if you really love it.

Personally I don't think Molly ages that well as a formal name, so I would go with Hannah Kate/Katherine if I were you
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    I love the name Molly and I'm considering it as a name too- and I used to have a dog named Molly as well! My family thought it was a bit strange but it doesn't bother me or my husband. 
  • Options
    MandyMost said:
    Molly is also a major designer drug that people are overdosing on left and right these days. Essentially the newest formulation of ecstasy. Just something else to consider. 

This was unfortunately my first thought as well.
  • Options
    I don't think that is weird. I grew up with a dog that I loved (Sam), and that name has been on our list for both kids (but we had a girl first and we are pretty sure this one is a girl). 

And people still name their kids Mary Jane and Adam and Lucy and Laurie so...

By the time she can walk everyone will be on to some new drug so this is not a great reason to not use a name you love (which I think is super cute and who cares if it was your dog's name as well).
  • Options
    klirwin82 said:
    MandyMost said:

And people still name their kids Mary Jane and Adam and Lucy and Laurie so...

By the time she can walk everyone will be on to some new drug so this is not a great reason to not use a name you love (which I think is super cute and who cares if it was your dog's name as well).
    FWIW I would also never name a child Mary Jane lol
  • Options
    I don't find that to be weird, but I don't think Molly is unheard of by any stretch. 
  • Options
    I think it's a little weird. Dogs, to me, are members of the family so naming someone the same name would be odd. 
    This is what I was going to say.
  • Options
    I think it's a little strange. My childhood pets were members of the family for 10+ years, so I'd feel weird using any of their names.
  • Options
    I think it's a little odd but, if you love it, don't let that stop you.

I have an aunt and cousin who both named sons of theirs with the same name of a childhood dog they each had. I thought it was kind of funny at first but it's not something I think of often.

I do prefer the other names you listed over Molly though.
    Happily married to my Snorkelbutt - 07/31/10

BFP #1 09/02/11  M/C 09/12/11 8w6days
    BFP #2 07/18/12 Baby S born on his EDD 03/23/13

SS - age 12...SD - age 8...DS - 13 mos.
  • Options
    Hi everyone, thanks for the comments and advice! We do know about the Molly drug reference but it's just not a huge deal to us I guess. We're still considering the other names too and will most likely have to wait and meet her before deciding (if she ever decides to show up....).
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I love the name Molly and that was our front runner until we found out we are having a boy. I don't think it is weird at all. 
  • Options
    I don't think it's weird if you like the name, and it might be a nice way to remember your dog. You can always wait until you see her and decide then. That's what my husband and I did with DS. Personally, I really like Hannah Katherine.