Baby Names

Alliteration- would this bother you?

If we have a boy, I'd really like to name him Robert, after my dad.  We've thought about using the nickname Rory since my dad used Bob, and brother uses Rob.  The only issue is that our last name also starts with Ro.  Too much of a tongue twister?  It's really important to me, but I also don't want the name to sound funny.  DH doesn't mind the alliteration.

Other boy names that we're considering are Henry, Owen, and Finn.  For a girl we like Jane, Margaret, Elizabeth, or Anna.  Big brother is Jack (John, but we only use Jack).

Any input or other ideas?

Re: Alliteration- would this bother you?

• aquasocks said:
    I think it's fine as long as your last name isn't Roberts or Robertson. 
    This was my thought exactly!  
  • Loading the player...
  • kmvisiolikmvisioli member
    edited April 2016
    Agreed with above. Rory is cute! I love Henry, but would probably toss it because of the John Henry folklore story when paired with big bro's name.
  • Thanks guys!  The last name is Rogers, so not Roberts or Robertson, but still close-ish.  What do you all think? Or maybe we middle name it?
  • Thanks guys!  The last name is Rogers, so not Roberts or Robertson, but still close-ish.  What do you all think? Or maybe we middle name it?
    Personally, I would middle name it, for one because the "Ro" beginning of both sounds the same, and secondly because both your dad and brother already share this name. It's not a deal breaker if it really really important for you to have it in the FN slot and I don't think it's at all side eye worthy, just my own personal preference.
  • I'd middle name it. I think they sound way too similar. Especially with both being two syllable names. Or what's your dad's middle name? Maybe you could use that as a first name. 
    Feb '16 October Siggy Challenge: Favorite Candy

• I think it makes your LO a potential super hero a la Peter Parker, Matt Murdoch and Clark Kent.
  • I think it's a little redundant and would probably MN it.  I think your other choices sound better.  But if it's super important to you, I think it's ok.
  • I would use it as a MN.

Personally, I would middle name it, for one because the "Ro" beginning of both sounds the same, and secondly because both your dad and brother already share this name. It's not a deal breaker if it really really important for you to have it in the FN slot and I don't think it's at all side eye worthy, just my own personal preference.
    My thoughts as well. 
  • I think Robert or Rory Rogers sounds lovely! 
  • I think it sounds nice. Alliteration doesn't bother me. 
  • Too much jaw work to me with the rah-rah sound it would make

Me: 29 / Hubster: 31
    Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't think it's an issue.