High-Risk Pregnancy

Biocornuate Uterus

Ok so i found out i had an abnormal uterus at 5 weeks. My Ob/gyn just told me that i was at a higher risk or a miscarriage or preterm labor. This is my first pregnancy and i was not expecting this. I went to my second appointment today at 9 weeks and she said everything looked fine so far. Has anyone gone through this???!!! Im trying not to over think it but its a little hard.

Re: Biocornuate Uterus

• I have a unicornuate uterus and my first was 11wks early due to PTL/PPROM. If you have a uterine anomaly miscarriage and preterm birth can def happen but are far from a guarantee. My friend also has a unicornuate uterus and had her son at 36+2 due to low fluid and IUGR. I also know many uterine anomaly ladies who went full term or also carried twins. Multiples is not recommended but it happens. How you will carry depends on so many factors. How your uterus stretches and handles the pregnancy, if there are any other underlying medical conditions, if your uterine anomaly effects your cervical length, etc... the list goes on. just ask a lot of questions and listen to your body.

I am 21+3 with #2. I was on progesterone gel from 4-12w (due to low progesterone) and from 16w-36w I will be on progesterone injections to help stretch/calm the uterus and help me get further along in my pregnancy than 29wks. I also put myself on the no sex/orgasm list because I personally feel orgasms affected my cervix last time. Other than that, everything is status quo. I see my MFM every other week and my OB every 3 wks. And a nurse visits my home weekly to administer my progesterone injection. Since this is baby #1 it is not likely you will be a candidate for injections but they might send you to an MFM to monitor you more closely if they foresee any issues.

Best of luck, feel free to ask questions. I am an open book.
  • My cousin has a bicornate (I believe). Both of her children were born prematurely, one was a micropreemie. They are the most gigantic toddlers and babies (as they aged) I've seen and have no known problems.
    *****Losses Mentioned*****BFP MENTIONED*****ALL WELCOME******ALL ABOARD!!

Me: 42, DH: 46, Married: 11/12
    Losses: MMC#1 11/12 BO, MC#2 11/13 at 8w BO?, MMC#3 8/14 chromo healthy M @12 weeks, stopped growing at 10.
    Negligible AMH, FSH finally went high. Pursued DE.

DD born at 38w2d on 5-27-16. Finally!!

Pregnant again with OE. EDD 11/9/17 Girl!

BabyGaga
  • Loading the player...
  • thats my fear of having a premature baby :( but its comforting to know they are fine now :)
  • Prematurity is scary, don't get me wrong, but if your hospital has a reputable level 3 or 4 NICU, then the chances of survival are that much better. My son was born 3lbs 11oz (big for a 29wker due to GD) and spent 76 days in the NICU. There are always ups and downs with preemies but keep in mind, any baby can end up in the NICU or need assistance after birth for various reasons- full term or pre-term. The doc will be happy to see you get past 28wks which is the miro-preemie cut off. Usually a baby born after 32w is good because a majority of development has already occurred but in your mind, shoot for 36-37 (37 is considered term). Just be an advocate for yourself and your baby and make sure if you feel anything, cramps (located anywhere), tightness, change in discharge, leaking, spotting, you call the OB asap. Better safe than sorry. I ignored my back labor for too long because I thought it was just a back ache and eventually had my water break. Listen to your body :) oh and drink lots of fluids and get those feet up at night! 
  • thank you for the advice! :smile: 
    what does putting your feet up at night help with???
  • KutiePebblesKutiePebbles member
    edited March 2016
    @KGE1 it is sort of the mini bed rest rule. if you get off your feet, then the weight of the pregnancy is not putting pressure down on your cervix. it never hurts to get some nice R&R :) 
  • Hello! I'm a newbie to the high risk board. I'm 11 weeks with pregnancy 7 (only 1 live birth) and recently discovered I have a bicornuate uterus. The ultrasound scared me a bit because it already looks like baby won't have anywhere to grow :( I'm terrified of a c section due to breech presentation but I'm more worried about premature birth. So far, my doctor hasn't said much about it but at my next appt I'll definitely be asking more questions. 
    Trying to Conceive Ticker

• KGE1KGE1 member
    oh my goodness im surprised you are barely finding out now !! but im 13 weeks now and so far so good. theres still plenty to go but im staying positive about everything. :) i hope everything goes well for you. 
  • I have a bicornate uterus that wasn't discovered until I had my some by emergency c/s. He was born prematurely at 35 weeks. I had an incredibly painful pregnancy and traumatic birth, but I'm happy to say that I have a healthy six month old today. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @SamiiWaters how was the pregnancy that led to your live birth? Did you go full term? I know all pregnancies are different but I am surprised they did not notice your BU prior to this point. 
  • I have a unicornuate uterus. I didn't really find out until after I had to have a c-section with my second child and then i was told more about it when I got pregnant with my third. My first was born 16 weeks premature and did not make it. I am pregnant with number 4 now. I get weekly progestrone shots and try to keep myself as stress free as possible. 
  • I have a bicornuate uterus, as well as septate (I've had surgeries)... I'm 33 weeks now. And really mainly high risk due to velatomous cord insertion(possibly due to surgeries). It really depends on how your body expands. So far I haven't been thought to be at risk for pre-term labor as of yet. 

Best to all of you who are dealing wother this.
  • KGE1KGE1 member
    19 weeks tomorrow and everything is going fine :) been going to the doctor almost every 3 weeks to check my cervix and so far its measuring what its supposed to. they did say my placenta was a bit low but the doctor told me he wasnt too worried about it right now. Just thought i would give an update!
  • I have a bicorn uterus (technically mine is dydelphic), and am currentlyalso 25 weeks with my third child. I've had zero issues at all (though I was closely monitored wit my first for cervix issues and baby's growth, both which were fine). 
    Best of luck to you, momma! I hope you have an easy and uneventful pregnancy!
  • KGE1KGE1 member
    did you go full term???
  • I am 20 weeks, and it wasn't until I was 19+4 that the doctor pointed out that I have a bicornate uterus. He seemed surprised to see it, and even more surprised when I'd told him that no one else had ever told me. I had some bleeding from my cervix when I was 11 weeks and was put on light bed rest for two weeks, but that was it. Should I be concerned if my doctor hasn't put me on progesterone like other people? This was the U/S they took to check on baby at 11 weeks, who has been perfectly healthy since.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Married DH: 4/7/2012 
    TTC: 2/3/2016 (Me: 31yrs  DH: 35yrs)
    BFP: 4/10/2016
    EDD: 12/18/16
    Kaynen Alexander born 12/6/16 via c-section (bicornate uterus/breech)
  • I wouldn't be concerned about the progesterone!  My dr. only prescribed it to me to get me through the first trimester, since I kept miscarrying at from 6-8 weeks - inplus my hormone levels were low.
  • I have a bicornute uterus.  Dr. thinks it caused a subchorionic hematoma (pool of blood in my uterus) in my first pregnancy.  Was a little difficult because I was bleeding and spotting until I was about 20 weeks.  Baby was born due to emergency c-section at 35 weeks 4 days because her heart rate kept dropping.  (I dont think that it's related to the uterus shape though.)   Other then that everything else was fine! Baby is healthy, she was only 4lbs 3oz and didn't have to go to nicu.  Don't stress out!  And Good luck!
  • Thanks! My little man ran out of room by 38 weeks. He was breech and stuck on the right side of my uterus with the placenta, so my water broke 2 weeks early. Was delivered via c-section and born 8lb 12oz. Perfectly healthy boy. :)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Married DH: 4/7/2012 
    TTC: 2/3/2016 (Me: 31yrs  DH: 35yrs)
    BFP: 4/10/2016
    EDD: 12/18/16
    Kaynen Alexander born 12/6/16 via c-section (bicornate uterus/breech)
  • This is my 2nd pregnancy and I have a hematoma that has been bleeding for a month, off and on. Anyone else? Mostly I just want to know if it's ever going to resolve naturally considering my bicornuate uterus. And the pain is getting ridiculous, I'm way over it!  I'm not sure if it's a natural part of the stretching and growing that your uterus does because it's restricted space, but the cramps are awful!!
  • My grandma has this condition and went on to have two healthy babies back before our medical technology was anywhere what it is today! They grew up to be my dad and uncle! The only complications she experienced was when she was pregnant with twins and they were born too premature to be saved back then; if they were born today it would probably be a different story.