Trying to Get Pregnant

Fertile Focus

Hello! 
DH and I have been TTC for 6 months now. With our daughter, we conceived very quickly, so this time around has obviously been much different. I've been using an OPK and recently started using Fertile Focus too. I was getting frustrated after not EVER getting results from the OPK, despite other ovulatory symptoms. 
On Friday, I finally observed a ferning pattern on the microscope and was so excited! Since then, I've still seen the pattern, but it's definitely changing. 
Im curious: how long can I expect to see the ferning pattern? I'm worried about missing the fertile window! I felt like it had already occurred, but now I'm second guessing myself. 
See pic. This is from the sample I took today. Thoughts? 

Re: Fertile Focus

• khbearkhbear member
    edited April 2016
    I don't use a microscope, so all I can tell you is I have read that around 72 hours after the first noted ferning pattern is when you should expect ovulation - if it's matching up with other signs, too? If you're checking other signs, too, what do they say? Are you temping or checking CM?

I'll be interested to see what other people say.

edited for typo, whoopsie daisy.
  • Loading the player...
  • *lurker from loss board*

• There used to be a bumpie who used ferning microscopes as a ovulation predictor --- @GhanimaAtreides I think it was?  I know the ferning pattern is good but not much else besides that. 
    Me: 33 DH: 31
    DS: 5 years old
    TTC #2 since August 2015
    July 2016: Testing cycle with 100 mg Clomid = BFN
    August 2016: 50 mg Clomid + IUI = BFN
    October 2016: IVF#1 - 13 retrieved / 12 mature /  9 fertilized / 2 blasts
    November 2016: FET#1 = chemical
    January 2017: FET#2 = chemical
    March 2017: IVF#2 - 18 retrieved / 18 mature / 16 fertilized / 5 blasts
    April 24, 2017: FET#3 - BFN
    May 24, 2017: FET#4 - BFP! - Beta #1 151 - Beta #2 503 - Due date 2/9/18
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think one poster I've seen does this.  I can't remember who or I'd tag them.  I'd recommend temping, OPKs, and CM/CP.  
    DD born PPROM preemie at 36 weeks on 10/1/17 after over a year TI, 
    then 3 failed IUIs, and finally a successful IVF FET.

Due with #2 5/2/19 after HIO once in my FW,
    because apparently that's how life works now. Team Blue!
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • I have no experience but have read about it. I do believe I have seen a forum or community group in fertility friend app that uses this method and can offer insight. Not many here do. 
    TTC1: May 2015
    Primary IF May 2016; Failed HSG; Scheduled Lap Sept. 2016
    BFP: August 22, 2016/EDD: April 29, 2017
    DD: May 1, 2017
    TTC2: June 2019
    CP September 2019
    Lap and repeat HSG scheduled December 2019
    BFP: November 24, 2019/EDD: August 2, 2020
  • Lurking
    *bfp mentioned 

I used the salavia fernering microscope for about 4 months before my bfp in december. I would have partial ferning for a couple of days leading up to when I would turn an opk positive. The key is to start to look where it turns to full ferns. The photo you show looks pretty close and it could be full ferning.

I would use the ferning as a sign to start testing with opk's and to start HIO. I would still get partial ferning for a few days after ovulation as well. I get pain with ovulation and pretty clear CM so I was able to catch ovulation with ferning and opk's.

It should be pretty clear when the ferning turns back to dots and you will see it ramp up to a full fern and ramp down to dots in about a 5-7day period. Once I got full ferns and a positive opk I would stop testing the saliva for the most part. 

I found it very helpful and I was sucessful using the method. I was motivated to use it because I really didn't want to chart BBT because of sleep issues. 

Good luck! 
  • Thanks! I find this tool to be useful too, since OPK kits aren't very reliable for me and I can't temp either because I'm often up with my daughter in the middle of the night or have sleep issues myself. 
    This pattern is what I saw yesterday. I would consider my full fern to have taken place on Friday. I think this was my "ramping down" pattern. My CM has become much drier, and I experienced what I believe to be O pain last week. I guess it just threw me off a bit. 
    TWW, here I come! 
  • I would encorage you to look it up! :) 
    I can't temp accurately, as I rarely get a good nights sleep and my preschooler is my alarm clock. Just doesn't work for me. I do pay attention to and log CM, though. 
    I have found this tool to be helpful, so it's definitely worth checking out! 
  • @Marasmommy0611 I don't have any good feedback, but I've heard of ferning before and I am really interested in checking it out!  OPKs don't seem to be very reliable for me, either, although temping seems to work just fine.
  • My sister used ferning when TTC #2. I know it worked for her. She said she found it better suited to her lifestyle as opposed to temping. This is the first time I've seen a pic though, and it's pretty cool I gotta say! Good luck. interested in reading opinions from those who also use it

Me: 37
    DH: 36
    Married: 08-25-07
    DS: 11-20-09

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Name change alert: Formerly Lisswastaken

• I believe @NamelessAria also used/uses a microscope? Could be wrong. 

• **lurking**

i tried the microscope, but didn't like it for a variety of reasons.  And I never really saw it discussed here.  I would definitely seek out a community specifically for that as PPs suggested.

**siggy warning**
    Me: 30 DH: 32 ~~ TTC #1: Sep 2015 ~~ BFP: Mar 2016 ~~ Daughter: Nov 2016
    TTC #2: April 2018 ~~ BFP: May 2018 ~~ EDD: January 2019

• I've been looking into this with my sleep pattern. Just wanted to attempt temping first with the $7 bbt thermometer vs $30 microscope.
    Might go microscope next cycle.
    -*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Personal, Frequently Changing Gif Party>>>

• @NamelessAria am I losing it or were you one of the ones using a microscope?
    Angel Babies 1&2 2/14/09
    DS born 3/11
    Angel Baby 3 6/28/11                                                         9/5/17 BFP!!
    divorced October 2014                                                       9/6/17 hCG 88 progesterone 9.1 (prometrium started)
    Married DH 10/15     DH's DS born 6/09                            9/8/17 hCG 242!!!
    Not preventing since 11/15                                                 EDD 5/8/18        Adjusted 5/15/18
    TTC since 1/1/16                                                                9/27/17 we have a heart beat!

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy TrackerBabysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • I don't really see much ferning? Here's some obvious ferning:

I attempted this but with a regular microscope and saw a whole lot of nothing even though I confirmed O in other ways. It's an interesting experiment, but I think far more difficult and less definitive than other methods. As far as how long you expect to see it, I would guess it's kind of like OPKs in that some people have longer surges than others. 

*ticker warning*
  • **Lurker**Trigger Warning**

I used the ferning microscope to get pregnant. The first month I used it I never got full ferning- I only got partial ferning which looks like the picture you posted. At the time I thought it was full ferning because I hadn't seen full ferning yet. I wasn't using any other tracking method for that cycle, so it is possible that I never ovulated that cycle.

The next month I used it as well as OPK's. I had a few days of partial ferning and then got full ferning. I did have a picture but DH deleted it but it looks like the second picture that FinacB posted. Once I saw that I stopped checking. I got a positive OPK the same day. That is the cycle I got pregnant on.

I never tried temping because I felt I didn't have the discipline for it (waking up at the same time every day is a mission for me- I start work early during the week and didn't want to sacrifice my sleep in on my days off). I think if I hadn't got pregnant that cycle I would have probably attempted it in addition to the microscope.

Little boy due July 31st 2016

• @LilLambie, thanks for your feedback. I would consider this partial ferning too, but I was just confused when I saw it after what I considered to be full ferning. I guess I just expected it to go back to dots and random lines after ferning showed for 3 days. 
    Today, I see very sight ferning. I had read this may happen if you conceive, but I'm obviously not getting my hopes up. 
    I really like the microscope and will definitely continue to use it if this month doesn't prove successful.