September 2015 Moms
Options

Calcium/Magnesium Supplement

Anyone taking a calcium/magnesium supplement or have recommendations for any certain brands?

I've read that taking a supplement (1,000 mg calcium/500 mg magnesium) can help when your milk supply suffers each month from ovulation through menstruation (I've had this issue since my period returned 5 months pp). Anyone else with this issue who has noticed a difference when taking this supplement?

Thanks!

Re: Calcium/Magnesium Supplement

• Options
    I have continued taking my prenatal vitamins (centrum maternal) and they have both calcium and magnesium in them. I've been taking them since I found out I was expecting and I haven't had my cycle return yet so I can't say it they help my supply or not. 
  • Options
    I have been having a lot of trouble with insomnia.  I feel SUPER tired, get into bed at night and no joke lay there for hours upon hours before falling asleep.  It has been driving me bonkers.  I want to do my best to avoid a prescription, so I am trying over the counter options, and vitamins first to see what may work.  I tried Nyquil ZZZ (didn't help much), melatonin (helped for about 2 weeks).  I was recently reading some articles that low magnesium (which a lot of us have) can cause problems with sleeping.  

I have been taking Trader Joe's Magnesium/Calcium/Zinc supplement after dinner and I have been sleeping better.  Who knows if it's the supplement that's actually doing it, or I'm just sleeping better again?  I will continue to take it though!  It can also help with anxiety, stress, and muscle tension.

I'm not sure how it will help in milk production (we are formula feeding).  Just be careful, because I have read that too much magnesium can cause diarrhea problems. :neutral: 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    xJKxOR said:
    I have continued taking my prenatal vitamins (centrum maternal) and they have both calcium and magnesium in them. I've been taking them since I found out I was expecting and I haven't had my cycle return yet so I can't say it they help my supply or not. 
    I'm still taking my prenatal as well (I've been taking one for years due to low iron), but my prenatals only have 200 mg of calcium and 100 mg of magnesium, so much lower than I think I actually need. I wish I could say my cycle hasn't returned yet ... I would have been just fine without it for another 4 months!
  • Options
    lmbrandt said:
    I have been having a lot of trouble with insomnia.  I feel SUPER tired, get into bed at night and no joke lay there for hours upon hours before falling asleep.  It has been driving me bonkers.  I want to do my best to avoid a prescription, so I am trying over the counter options, and vitamins first to see what may work.  I tried Nyquil ZZZ (didn't help much), melatonin (helped for about 2 weeks).  I was recently reading some articles that low magnesium (which a lot of us have) can cause problems with sleeping.  

I have been taking Trader Joe's Magnesium/Calcium/Zinc supplement after dinner and I have been sleeping better.  Who knows if it's the supplement that's actually doing it, or I'm just sleeping better again?  I will continue to take it though!  It can also help with anxiety, stress, and muscle tension.

I'm not sure how it will help in milk production (we are formula feeding).  Just be careful, because I have read that too much magnesium can cause diarrhea problems. :neutral: 
    Thanks! I never thought about looking at Trader Joe's. I'll have to check that out!

I have the opposite problem as you; I get into bed and pass out hard, making it super hard to wake up in the morning for work!