February 2016 Moms

IUD placement

I was planning to get an IUD placed at my PP visit tomorrow (7w). I had stopped bleeding for about 2 weeks, but I just started spotting again yesterday. Does anyone know if that makes a difference in whether or not they'll place it? If they won't place it while bleeding/spotting, I'd rather call and change it to a shorter appt and cancel my childcare. 

Also, any words of wisdom? I've never had one (was on the pill for 9yrs before DD1, nothing between).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: IUD placement

• It shouldn't be a problem for it to be placed when you're still bleeding/spotting. I believe one of mine was placed when I was still bleeding.

• Spotting/bleeding isn't a problem. I just had mine placed today. I was nervous about it being painful bc a friend told me that her insertion brought tears and had mega cramping for several days. For me, It wasn't any more uncomfortable than a pap and no cramping so far! I did bring ibuprofen along with me so I could take it ASAP if I started cramping. 
  • Loading the player...
  • My dr requested mine be put in while I'm on my period. 
    Ive also heard about pain.    Im so nervous.
  • When I got it last time I was on my period. I took pain medication prior and it was horrible having it placed for me. I hadn't had children yet so that's probably why it was so painful for me, but I definitely recommend taking something just in case. I'm getting another mirena placed on May 19th and I'm super nervous. (I also don't really want it, H wants me to get it...)
  • @ALight996 I was really nervous, too. There's a definite "ow" factor, but the actual painful part was brief. Otherwise it's just like a Pap smear. I had a lot of cramping the rest of the afternoon, but it was completely gone the next day. 

After I mentioned that I use a menstrual cup (Diva cup), my MW said she'd cut the strings a little shorter than normal to help prevent any accidents. Something to mention if you use one.

• They actually want you to either be bleeding or it be relatively soon after child birth so that the IUD can be inserted into an open cervix. (I can't even imagine them putting one into a closed one.) The pain lasts for maybe 5-10 seconds while it's being inserted and properly placed. After that it was like regular period cramps for a day or two.

• I was bleeding when I got it,I have the paragard IUD copper! !! And when my OB.placed the IUD in just a little cramping!  I love it, I don't even feel it now, I highly recommend it, and it's hormone free! !! I am breastfeeding so it's wonderful ! Good luck to all.