Baby Names

CAITRÌONA

First seeing Caitriona DH pronounced the name K8-tree-awna but now that I have looked it up I am seeing it pronounced kah-tree-nah. I don't like Katrina as a name (or I would just name baby Katrina) and would prefer the first pronunciation. Would you look at the name and think "they are obviously pronouncing that name wrong" or does it work? (Ideally we both love Katherine, but I have a son from a previous relationship who has a grandmother with the same name who plagues us and DS bio-father, so straight up Katherine is out)
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker} Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}

Re: CAITRÌONA

• My first guess was "Kat-ree-aw-nah", but it is a bit much of a name. What about Katerina? Or just Cate?
  • Eko14Eko14 member
    DS is Nathaniel aka Nate so no Cate as a NN :(
    Thinking Kat or Kitty or something for a nn I def won't be using Caitriona daily but want to give her a full name. 
  • Loading the player...
  • kmvisiolikmvisioli member
    edited April 2016
    Yeah, no Nate and Cate, lol. Suggesting Katerina, Catalina, Karina, Kalina, Katia, Kathleen, or Korinne.
  • I like PP suggestion of Katerina. It's very similar to the pronunciation you prefer and everyone knows the name. 
    I would have said the name kat-tri-ona knowing it was probably wrong and that I would have to be corrected.
  • CorkySinclairCorkySinclair member
    edited April 2016
    I knew a girl in high school with this name and she pronounced it kat-ree-oh-na. 
  • Eko14Eko14 member
    I think it's odd to purposefully pronounce a name wrong. 
    It isn't purposefully pronouncing a name wrong if there are alternate pronunciations which the comments indicate there are.
  • Eko14 said:
    I think it's odd to purposefully pronounce a name wrong. 
    It isn't purposefully pronouncing a name wrong if there are alternate pronunciations which the comments indicate there are.
    Which upon looking it up is true, but you didn't indicate that in your OP. 

Gaelic names are very tricky for people unfamiliar with them. Unless you live in the UK, it's going to have pronunciation issues,  regardless of how popular Outlander gets. So, if people pronouncing it like Katrina bothers you, I would look for a different name.
  • It's a very heavy, unattractive name.  Katerina  or Katherine  are much nicer. 
  • As a teacher, I would look at this name and think to myself, "yep...gonna screw this one up." 
    It will be a difficult name for people to say and you will probably be correcting people a lot as she will when she gets older. It's very pretty, but I like other PPs suggestions. 
  • I would pronounce this Katrina since it's close to Catriona (pronounced Katrina). If there is an anglicized spelling of the pronunciation you want I would go with that. 
  • When I first saw this I thought it was a made up name or mishmash name. I can see how it is Gaelic, but not until someone mentioned it. So in addition to pronunciation,  you may also have that to contend with. But to answer the question at hand, I saw it and my mind thought kay-tree-ohna
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would pronounce it Kay-tree-ohna, so if that's your primary concern I'd assume that some people would get it right. That said, I think it's a strange name. I'm having trouble imagining an adult woman introducing herself with it. It sounds a little like a medication or product name to me for some reason. I having trouble putting my finger on why it rubs me the wrong way. I like Katerina and Katia, which were suggested earlier. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • This name is a traditional Gaelic name, and is pronounced like 'Katrina'.

Just my opinion but taking a Gaelic name and deliberately mispronouncing it sounds pretty ignorant. 
  • I would pronounce it Katrina. Because of Caitriona Balfe. I think it's silly to pick a name that you know will be pronounced correctly probably 50% of the time but expect people to pronounce it differently. K8treeowna sounds made up. 
    Feb '16 October Siggy Challenge: Favorite Candy

• This is like if you loved the name Siobhan but wanted it pronounced "sio-ban" or liked Sean but only pronounced "seen". Just don't. It's a name properly pronounced "Katrina" and if you hate that pick something else.

If you introduced me to your child Caitriona and told me it was pronounced "cate-tree-own-a" I would think you hadn't bothered to Google it before bestowing it on your child for the rest of her life. This would be worse than doing a Paisleigh, IMO.