Baby Names

What's Ellie short for?

H liked the name Ellie when I threw it out there, but I'd like to find a name for which this is a NN to for her birth certificate. I know Elizabeth is an obvious choice but that is our DD's MN.

Suggestions? 

Re: What's Ellie short for?

• It's so trendy of a nickname nameberry actually had a list on how to get this nickname. 

• Loading the player...
  • In our house, it's a nickname for Eliana
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Ellianna or Elida
  • Lord, what isn't this a nickname for.

Eleanor 
    Eliana 
    Elena
    Ella
    Elaine 
    Eloise
    Elise 
    Eliza
    Estelle 
    Elodie 
    Penelope 
    Felicity 
    Gabrielle 
    Isabella
    Cordelia 
    Daniella 

And more.
    Agree. I really like Estelle! 
  • Ellison, Eleanora?, Eliza
  • Ellen hasn't been mentioned...
  • I like Eleanor. I know someone with a little girl Elliot that goes by Ellie ... (I'm not a fan due to it being a boy name in my opinion).
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Ellie is super overused at this point... A friend uses it as a NN for Elia.na

Me: 29 / Hubster: 31
    Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

• I was hoping this was a "What's Ellie short for?.......so I can avoid those names..." post.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • It's a great name, but seriously overused at the moment, in my opinion. 

My favorite formal name for Ellie is Elliott. And it's less common than the other variations. 
  • Extremely overused. There is one in dance class, one on the soccer team, one in our family, I have 5 friends with Ellie's, I have several acquaintances with Ellie's, etc....

• It definitely bums me out to see all the Ellie hate. As a school teacher, I try so hard to stay away from popular names, and have never had an Ellie in my class or school in 11 years. When we chose the name for our daughter, we had never met an Ellie or Eliana. Now people are saying how awful it is to name your kid that and it makes me very sad....my little Ellie is still the only Ellie in her preschool, gymnastics class, and in our circle of friends, so maybe it's regional....
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• noelani42 said:
    It definitely bums me out to see all the Ellie hate. As a school teacher, I try so hard to stay away from popular names, and have never had an Ellie in my class or school in 11 years. When we chose the name for our daughter, we had never met an Ellie or Eliana. Now people are saying how awful it is to name your kid that and it makes me very sad....my little Ellie is still the only Ellie in her preschool, gymnastics class, and in our circle of friends, so maybe it's regional....
    Don't worry, everyone has an opinion. I still love Ellie, we just decided on something different that works a little better with our older daughter's name.

• Short answer, it's short for everything. I gear it everywhere! I personally know Ellies who are short for:

Elizabeth 
    Eleanor
    Noelle
    Ellen
    Ella
    Eliza
    Elana