December 2015 Moms

Help Needed - Long Story

Hi fellow December 15 mamas! Any mama in the Houston and surrounding areas, I need your help!

Our baby has a condition that requires a bone marrow transplant, and has to be kept away from anything that could affect her weakened immune system. We just got information that we will be in the hospital an estimated 6 weeks this summer, and she will not be able to fight off infection for 6-9 months after the hospital stay.

We rescued our Beagle, Shiloh, a few years ago and we desperately need to re-home him. I only want to put him in a home where he will either be outside all day, or have access through a doggy door 24/7. He is a hound, and LOVES being outside.

My sister stays home with the baby while my husband and I are at work. She is with him all day and takes him outside for walks, but he still has his accidents inside. If we go out for more than 15 minutes, he has accidents and it makes hospital trips especially hard.

The inside accidents are the main reason why we need to re-home him. She will not be able to fight off any infection, and keeping everything clean for her is getting more and more difficult.

I want Shiloh to have the best home possible because he truly is a sweet boy. It breaks my heart to have to re-home sweet Shiloh, but it is something we need to do.

Shiloh is estimated between 8-10 years old, very active, male (neutered), and about 35 lbs.

I recently got him up to date on all of his shots and he still has heart-worm medication and flea drops ready to go with him.

I have contacted several rescues, and we may potentially get his picture on some of their websites, but no foster homes are currently available.

Please help! Prayers needed! Thank you!

Re: Help Needed - Long Story

• Why don't you put him in a crate when your not home? That way accidents will be confined, or if he loves being outside so much get him a dog house. I feel for you and your precious baby but my dog is part of my family and i couldn't rehome him.
  • Every crate we have purchased he has broken out of and we are in an apartment. He is family, but when we are staying in the hospital, we will be staying with her. The transplant requires chemotherapy, which will get rid of her immune system. I am sorry, but I am not willing to put my baby at that kind of risk, and my dog in a situation where he is left home longer than he already can't handle.
  • Loading the player...
  • Are there doggy daycares in your area you could try in the interim?
  • Are there doggy daycares in your area you could try in the interim?
    I actually had not thought about that! I just looked into it, and they are too much money (500-1500 per month). Thank you so much for the good idea though!
  • Could any of your family or friends take care of Shiloh until your baby's immune system is strong enough? 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • No one has the space. My in-laws do (14 acres actually), yet they refuse to take him. Running out of options.
  • I'm so sorry you are going through all this . I hope your babies transplant turns for
    the best . Im sorry you have to re-home your puppy , who could have known your baby was going to be in the condition he is when you adopted the dog . I feel for you . Maybe contact some no kill shelters for advice or try this service https://findmypetahome.com/dallas-pet-rehoming-service/   If you haven't already . Good luck ! 
  • Could any of your family or friends take care of Shiloh until your baby's immune system is strong enough? 
    This is a great idea as well! 
  • I'm so sorry for your situation. Unfortunately I already have my limit on animals or I would totally help you! 
  • I'm so sorry you are going through all this . I hope your babies transplant turns for
    the best . Im sorry you have to re-home your puppy , who could have known your baby was going to be in the condition he is when you adopted the dog . I feel for you . Maybe contact some no kill shelters for advice or try this service https://findmypetahome.com/dallas-pet-rehoming-service/   If you haven't already . Good luck ! 
    Thank you so much for that link! I just submitted his information. 
  • Im facebook there is a group called inner loop babies 2016 from Houston moms. Try posting this there. Or you could try animal humane society. They rehome animals in exchange of donations. 
  • I don't know if you have already checked out this place, but here's the link.
    https://www.houstonbeaglerescue.org/index.php
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Thank you! Trying it all now!
  • Yes I have reached out to them. They do not have any fosters at this point, but will be putting his info on their Facebook page and website. Thank you!
  • This is a tough situation for everyone. I hope your daughters transplant goes well and that she thrives. I know you will find a great home for your fur baby in this unfortunate situation. 
  • @kdoak2015 It is so easy to say you would never rehome, but you would be surprised at what you would do if you are actually faced with this decision. We have two dogs. They are my babies and have been with me since before my kids were born. However, my daughter is severely allergic to them; she scratches at her hands and feet until they bleed. She's currently on Keflex because she developed impetigo. This is the second time in a month. She's also on two different topical steroids, two antihistamines, and Singulair to try to control her symptoms. We live in Phoenix, so keeping them outside is not an option. We are currently trying some things like Allerpet, but our next step is rehoming them. It breaks my heart, but when you listen to your daughter crying because she itches so much...you'd be surprised. Please don't judge the OP too harshly. It is not an easy decision to make.

OP, I hope you are able to find a wonderful home for your dog. 
    thank you for the support and I hope your baby gets better. Good luck with everything and I completely understand how hard everything can be.
  • Thank you all for the support and ideas! I got a rescue to put up his info, and with the closed group page posts on Facebook, I'm generating some interest in my sweet boy. I will keep everyone posted and keep the great ideas coming! Thanks ladies!