March 2016 Moms
Options

Pumping/Going back to work

Just wanted to get some advice from you ladies, as this is something I'm concerned about. I go back to work in 2 weeks and am wondering if I should be pumping on a consistent schedule right now to try to get ahead? For some reason I'm worried that even if I pump every day while working, I won't produce enough for LO's next day. Her feedings are so unpredictable so I have no idea how much I'll need everyday when I leave her with the sitter. I would hate for them to run out. So right now I've been sporadically freezing 3oz here, 4oz there whenever I can to try to stock up. What worked for everyone else? Should I be concerned about this? Should I be pumping on a schedule? How often do you guys pump at work? (Also, I'm worried about having a place to pump when I go back. I know they legally have to provide one but I'm thinking it will be done half-heartedly at best. Sigh.)

Re: Pumping/Going back to work

• Options
    I've been pumping 20 mins right after LO's first feeding each morning, about 3-4 oz each time. I had quite a stock pile, but then the in-laws came and they have given her many bottles so my freezer stock is running low. I'm going to start adding another pumping session each day (probably in the evening). I'm also going to make some lactation cookies to see if that helps! FTM here, but I'm assuming I'll need to pump about 3 times at work (every 3-4 hours). Because of frequent pumping at work, I shouldn't need a massive freezer stash to stay ahead. 
  • Options
    When your lo starts sleeping a good stretch at night is a great time to pump an extra session and get some freezer stash built up. For ex. Say LO goes down at 8 and sleeps until 2ish, but you don't go to bed until 10 pump right before you go to bed. That way you will still be plenty full for LO next feeding and probably more comfortable while you sleep. I'm always afraid of pumping during the day and dd not having enough to eat if she gets hungry sooner than I expected. Although it's not like she'd starve!
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Try not to worry too much - even if LO is nursing super inconsistently somehow when they get the bottle when you're at work they seem to work themselves onto more of a schedule that makes it easier to plan for. Yes there are random days they might take more or less but generally they eat 4oz every 2-3 hours and no more or less. 
  • Options
    I too worried about these same things. My advice: don't worry about pumping on a schedule right now. Just enjoy BFing with LO. I had a "goal" of 80 ounces in the freezer stash before I went back to work. I had a piece of paper that I colored in how many ounces I froze each day. I only got 42 ounces, but I was never hard on myself. I also worried about a pumping place at work because my company is less than 50 employees so they are not required to give me a place to pump. I just took it into my own hands. I set up an area to pump: it's got a desk with a computer and snacks and hand sanitizer, etc. I didn't ask if I could pump. I just did it. My first day back to work, when it was time to pump, I told my manager that I would be in the next office pumping if she needed me. No questions asked. No fuss, no muss! I pump 3-4 times a day every 2-3 hours for 15 minutes. I use the rubberband hack to pump hands free and I use that time to check my email and make phone calls if I need to. I actually think I'm MORE productive now than before because I have a set time to check email and phone calls instead of just doing it all day long. Just go to work with an assertive attitude. You don't have to be rude, just act like it is something you have to do and set up a nice station for you to pump.