Baby Names

Eliana?

DH just ranked Eliana as #1 on his list for DD. I like it as elli-on-uh, but not if it will frequently be pronounced elli-an-uh. How would you pronounce it? WDYT of the name in general? Joining brothers Wesley and Owen if that matters.

Re: Eliana?

• I would say it Elie-ah-nuh. I have a bit of a Boston accent though.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I like it but it's a little frilly for my taste and it's a somewhat different style than Wesley and Owen. I would pronounce it Ell-ee-ah-nah. I think an Ell-ee-ann-ah pronunciation would be more common in the midwest/south.
  • Loading the player...
  • Ellie-On-uh.  My friend just named her baby that with that spelling and pronunciation.  That's the only way I've heard it pronounced. 
    Me: 31 | H: 32
    Married September 2014
    TTC #1 December 2014
    RE appt 12/2015
    CD3 labs normal | HSG 1/8/16 clear | H's SA excellent
    Dx: Unexplained Infertility
    February 2016, cycle 16 - cycle #1 with Letrozole 5mg + TI | Progesterone=20.6
    BFP 2/24/16 - EDD 11/7/16
    It's a girl!
    Isla Quinn born 10/29/16 at 38w5d via C/S
    --------
    TFAS March 2018
    RE consultation 8/2/18
    Suprise! BFP 8/8/18 natural cycle | EDD 4/19/19
    It's a girl!
    Afton Noelle born 4/10/19 at 38w5d via natural VBAC
  • Thanks guys. Ell-ee-ah-nuh is the obvious pronunciation to me, but wasn't sure if it's regional. Mila is also on our list, but I'm told this is mis-pronounced often, even though Mee-lah seems like the obvious way in my mind.
  • Ellie -ah-nah

Eliana is a nice name but all of the Ellie names are soooooo popular right now and have been for years.  That would probably deter me from using it.

• Eliana <----- Ellie-ah-nuh
    Elianna <---- Ellie-anne-uh
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • very 90's.......i would move on from the ana (ending) trend. 
  • Midwest here and I've never heard Ellie-an-uh. I would assume Ellie-on-uh for sure.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Ellie-on-uh is how I would pronounce it too and live in the Midwest. I Love this name. It is my #1 girl pick but am having my second boy. 
  • Ellie-ah-nah here. FWIW I really don't like names that end in ah-na/on-na sound. They've always seemed so pretentious to me. I do like Mila better.
    My furchildren, Dorothy and Johnny :)
  • alyssa0714alyssa0714 member
    edited April 2016
    I would say it as Elli-on-ah. I'd only assume Elli-ann-ah if it was spelled Elianna. 
    It used to be one of my favorite names, its not so much anymore but I still like it!
  • It's my daughter's name (Ana is the name of her grandmother and great-grandmother so it's part of the reason we chose the name)...we have never had anyone pronounce it with "anna" at the end, but have had many people say "Elaina" after reading her name too quickly.....for what it's worth, I adore the name and it fits our little girl perfectly, despite all the hate it receives on here
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic