Breastfeeding

When did you drop nursing sessions?

DD is 8 months old and is solely on food and BM (no formula).  When did you ladies decrease the number of times you nurse your LOs?  She's eating more and more food but so far I haven't adjusted her milk at all.  She currently nurses/bottle feeds 5 times a day.  6am nursing, 9, 12, & 3 nursing on weekends, bottles on week days, and 6pm nurse to sleep.  

When I was pregnant I planned on weaning at 1 year, but now I think I may wait longer.  When did you wean and which sessions did you drop first and at what age?  Thanks ladies!

Re: When did you drop nursing sessions?

• My son is almost 9 months and is on solids. I still nurse on demand. He often spreads his feedings out 4 hours now.  he usually nurses 5-6 times a day. I planned to wean at one year, but we had a lot of trouble in the beginning and worked really hard to make breastfeeding work. (I EPed for 8 weeks) After that I decided that I wasn't going to put a deadline on it and would continue to breast feed as long as it is working for both of us. 
  • My bubs is nearly 8 months and on 3 meals a day. I've let him decide and do it on demand but I've found some days he will have 6am and then nothing until 3-4pm and then his bed time feed at 6:30-7pm. Some days he has 5/6 feeds depending on teeth etc. The first one I thought about dropping was lunchtime one so I was milk then food, then food followed by milk. Now it's just food. That has sort of happened naturally these last few weeks. When I feel he is ready I'll do breakfast before his morning milk which I think we're getting close to as he doesn't have much milk when he wakes up as he wants his porridge! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Breast milk (or formula) should be the main source of nutrition for babies until age 1. There's a saying, "Food before 1 is just for fun." So I wouldn't worry about dropping nursing sessions at this point. And you'll always want to nurse/give a bottle before offering solids instead of the other way around. 
    someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog