December 2016 Moms
Options

Breastfeeding while Pregnant

Hi mamas! I was curious if there is anyone else breastfeeding while pregnant? My DS is 16 months and my goal was to BF him until 2 years and would really love to try and tandem nurse!  I've heard that the experience can really vary between women and their pregnancies. I haven't experienced any nipple pain or nursing aversion, but have been getting uncomfortably hot while nursing and a little bit of a drop in my supply.

I'd love to hear if you plan to or have been through it!

DS1: 12/17/2014
DS2: born sleeping at 26 weeks on 8/8/2016 due to chromosomal deletion
Pregnant with baby 3 -  EDD 9/14/2017

Re: Breastfeeding while Pregnant

• Options
    I nursed my oldest through my pregnancy with #2, she was 7 months when I got pregnant. I did notice a dip in my supply at first and since she was younger I did have to supplements with pumped breast milk but luckily I had plenty. By 9 months she was only nursing morning and evenings and then getting pumped milk during the day that was made up of frozen milk and what I could pump at work. 
    She was 16 months when my son was born, and ended up only nursing for about 3 months before stopping, but I think that has more to do with her personality than anything related to supply and tandem nursing. 
    It is totally possible to do, although you may get some push back from your provider - I know many women who have, but it is really only a concern if you have a history of multiple miscarriages, or you have any pre-term labor issues down the road 

Married to DH 10.29.11

DD born 1.26.13
    DS born 6.12.14
    #3 due 12.6.16

• Options
    I'm am for the time being but trying to get my 1st totally weaned asap. You mommas looking to continue are selfless saints!!!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Mother of an April '15 baby
    Due December 16
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm glad someone posted about this. I keep forgetting! I'm currently nursing DD2 who is 8 months. She's exclusively nursed and refuses a bottle of any size/shape. I've been nervous that if my supply drops she'll be a mess. I do have thousands of ounces of frozen breastmilk, and no that's not an understatement, but she won't take any of it! Lately I've been experiencing severe nipple discomfort when she nurses. I know it's possible to nurse through a pregnancy so I'm hoping I don't experience much of a drop in supply.

DH & I are both 28    Together: 12 years    Married: 09/24/2011

BFP#1: January '12 - DD1 09/16/2012

Preterm labor 31 weeks. Monitored for Hellp and diagnosed with oligohydramnios July '12

BFP #2: 06/25 - EDD 03/05/15 MMC confirmed 8/1 - D&E 8/4 retained tissue discovered 8/20

BFP #3 11/24 - 12/15 Heartbeat detected - DD2 07/29/15

• Options
    I BF my oldest during my last pregnancy. He self weaned though when I was about 14 weeks along. Good luck!
    Pregnancy Ticker

M/C #2 - October 2016
    MMC #1 - April 2016

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Also, uromys, how the heck do you get thousands of ounces in a freezer supply??? I'm in awe!
    Pregnancy Ticker

M/C #2 - October 2016
    MMC #1 - April 2016

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Also, uromys, how the heck do you get thousands of ounces in a freezer supply??? I'm in awe!
    Yeah! It was self inflicted and didn't help that I over produced without pumping. I had intentions of weening DD2 by six months and wanted to make sure I had enough to get her to a year. So here I am with 7,000+ ounces, a baby that refuses a bottle, and no more deep freezer space to store food! Hahaha

@a2003tiger I'm staying optimistic about breastfeeding while pregnant and hoping that DD will self ween herself shortly after a year. She's really attached as of now! Ha!

DH & I are both 28    Together: 12 years    Married: 09/24/2011

BFP#1: January '12 - DD1 09/16/2012

Preterm labor 31 weeks. Monitored for Hellp and diagnosed with oligohydramnios July '12

BFP #2: 06/25 - EDD 03/05/15 MMC confirmed 8/1 - D&E 8/4 retained tissue discovered 8/20

BFP #3 11/24 - 12/15 Heartbeat detected - DD2 07/29/15

• Options
    I am nursing my DD who just turned one on 4/4. I've noticed a dip in my supply but no nipple pain yet. I plan on nursing her as long as she would like and would love to tandam. I've heard that usually around 20-23 weeks though you lose your supply and start producing colostrum. I don't have any experience with it though so I'm not sure how true this is.
  • Options
    I am nursing my DD who just turned one on 4/4. I've noticed a dip in my supply but no nipple pain yet. I plan on nursing her as long as she would like and would love to tandam. I've heard that usually around 20-23 weeks though you lose your supply and start producing colostrum. I don't have any experience with it though so I'm not sure how true this is.
    That's what I hear too! I'm thankful that my DS is old enough to be able to transition to another milk if needed plus he eats a ton of table food, but right now he is content with breastfeeding with lower supply. I never though I would be an extended breastfeeder, but he needs it for comfort and I'm not going to take that away. I would love to tandem feed too. I've read that it makes naptime/bedtime much easier and I am ALL for that!

• Options
    I am still nursing ds who is almost 22 months. My supply dipped so I stopped pumping at work. He still loves nursing so I will continue to do so for as long as he wants, even if I have to tandem nurse. He hates cow milk, and my freezer supply  has dwindled a bit, so I will have to try other kinds of milk- almond, cashew, whatever- to see if something will stick.
    November D16  Siggy Challenge-Thanksgiving Fails

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @jenlynne0624 that sounds a lot like us. DS hasn't tired cow's milk, but I'd prefer he drink something else. He eats lots of other dairy sources...the kid loves cheese! I make him smoothies with almond/coconut milk and he likes it. I would LOVE to stop pumping at work. It's funny because I was in the process of cutting out pumping sessions and my supply tanked, so I started taking fenugreek and pumping more to up my supply. Didn't even cross my mind that I was pregnant!

• Options
    @jenlynne0624 that sounds a lot like us. DS hasn't tired cow's milk, but I'd prefer he drink something else. He eats lots of other dairy sources...the kid loves cheese! I make him smoothies with almond/coconut milk and he likes it. I would LOVE to stop pumping at work. It's funny because I was in the process of cutting out pumping sessions and my supply tanked, so I started taking fenugreek and pumping more to up my supply. Didn't even cross my mind that I was pregnant!
    That was one of my signs! I normally tanked around my period, but this went down A LOT.

DS also loves cheese, yogurt, etc, and will drink smoothies with cows milk, but won't drink it straight or mixed with bm. Not pumping at work hasn't changed our nursing relationship at all; we still nurse constantly. I want to buy almond milk, but DH has a nut allergy and won't be able to use it too.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm not currently, but I did nurse my oldest during my pregnancy with my second child.  She was 2 when I got pregnant.  I had a lot of nursing aversion towards the end, which was difficult.  She actually weaned in about my 7th month.  Once my son was born and she saw us nursing, she asked if she could nurse again.  So, I wound up tandem nursing for about 9 months until she weaned for good at about 3 1/2 years.  
    Me 41  DH 33  Married 09/03/2011
    DD1  EDD 08/18/01, born 08/03/2001 ~ 9lbs 10oz, 21.5 in
    DS1  EDD 4/30/2004, born 05/04/2004 ~ 10lbs, 22 in
    mc 02/14/12 @ 5 weeks
    DD2  EDD 12/25/12, born 12/30/12 ~ 10lbs 11oz, 21.25 in
    mc 12/05/15 @ 12 weeks
    Cautiously expecting 12/02/16

• Options
    My DD is 11 months & we are still BFing. I was hoping to let her ween herself whenever she wanted, but I'm already starting to get nervous about tandem nursing. Also, I had horrible morning sickness with DD & if I have it just as bad this time, I'm worried it will affect our nursing sessions. I know I'll feel guilty if this pregnancy is what stops our BF journey. But my original goal was to make it 1 year & it looks like we'll make that. So I'm still proud of us :)
  • Options
    I breastfeed DS once or 2x a day and he is almost 22 months- so I'm in a similar situation!!  It is such a nice morning routine we've always had, particularly since I'm not a morning person so snuggling and nursing in bed has been an extremely calm way to start my day three last two years.  My first goal was to bf at least bf 18 months and then 24 if we could as recommended.  I'm honestly not sure what i'll do now. I'm taking it one day or one week at a time.  My son would miss it so much, though.  He signs milk and says please!
    TTC since 2010.
    IF since 2011.
    MTHFR gene, Endo
    Clomid, Letrozole, Gonal-F, Ovidrel, Progesterone.
    14 IUI. 8 Single insemination cycles, 6 doubles.
    2 early losses.
    Oct. 6, 2013- BFP!

• Options
    Jennys9 said:
    I breastfeed DS once or 2x a day and he is almost 22 months- so I'm in a similar situation!!  It is such a nice morning routine we've always had, particularly since I'm not a morning person so snuggling and nursing in bed has been an extremely calm way to start my day three last two years.  My first goal was to bf at least bf 18 months and then 24 if we could as recommended.  I'm honestly not sure what i'll do now. I'm taking it one day or one week at a time.  My son would miss it so much, though.  He signs milk and says please!
    We sign and ask for milk please here too! It's adorable and he loves his boobies. Like a lot. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I am still nursing my 14 month old and hope to tandem nurse. My supply has definitely dropped, but it doesn't seem to phase her.

Together - 11/9/08
         Married - 7/10/10
         Nt/Np - 1/14/11
        BFP! - 5/20/11 EDD - 1/25/12
        It's a girl! - 9/7/11
        A family of 3 - 2/2/12
        Nt/Np - 4/15/12
         BFP! - 5/16/13  EDD - 1/22/14
         Discovered baby's not growing w/ no heartbeat - 6/7/13      
        Natural M/C @ 6.5w - 6/15/13
        Nt/Np - 6/25/13
        BFP! - 10/25/13  EDD - 7/1/14
        Missed M/C (natural) - 11/5/13 @ 6w
        Nt/Np - 11/17/13
         BFP! - 5/29/14  EDD - 2/7/15
         It's a girl! - 9/19/14
        A family of 4 - 2/13/15
        Nt/Np - 4/9/15
        BFP! - 4/1/16  EDD - 12/05/16
    It's a boy! - 7/19/16
    A family of 5 - 12/10/16
    DH vasectomy - 3/30/17

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers  

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    Glad this topic was brought up.  I am currently nursing my 9 month old.  Just found out I was pregnant yesterday (4 weeks 3 days) and haven't noticed any supply issues so far.  My DD really enjoys bf, so I hope this pregnancy doesn't disturb her much.  While I have no end date planned for nursing her, my goal was to make it to one year.  But I would not be surprised if she continues to the birth of her sibling and beyond.
  • Options
    shoeflypieshoeflypie member
    edited April 2016
    This is a great topic and one that many practitioners can't help with, or give false information. I was pregnant with my second when my first was 7mo. I continued to nurse her until she was 10 months but had enough frozen to get her to a year with sippy cups of my frozen stash. I wished I could have nursed longer but she is a foodie and stopped on her own. Probably because I had hardly any milk. I'm currently 6 weeks and DD2 is still nursing. Tomorrow will be 1 year!! She has a completely different personality and wants to nurse constantly, never took a bottle, and refused food until she figured out how to feed herself a couple months ago. I plan to nurse her until the end of my school year but I lost 12lbs the last time I was pregnant and nursing since my food aversions were crazy. 

It makes me really happy to see all of you nursing and reaching such amazing milestones! 
  • Options
    My 2nd and 3rd child are exactly 12 months apart. I nursed my 2nd through my whole pregnancy and tandem nursed once my 3rd arrived. I know that everyone is different but in my situation, it came easy. I nursed them together. They would hold hands and pat backs. So sweet!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'm still nursing my DD who is almost 8 months old and just found out I was pregnant.  I had absolutely no idea I was pregnant, but looking back I had a very sore nipple (just one) and my supply had dropped.  I always had an over supply - I would pump 2x a day and have plenty to make her 3 bottles for the next day.  Not so much anymore, but luckily I still have a bit of a freezer supply.  I doubt I will tandem nurse, but I do hope to make it to 1 year with DD. 

• Options
    I have been taking fenugreek as well.  It really has helped my supply.  I have stopped though, since I found out I was pregnant.  The bottle says to consult a physician if pregnant.  My first prenatal appt isn't for another week and a half, but I plan on asking about that then.
  • Options
    This will be my 3rd pregnancy that I'm nursing through. Hang in there mamas  <3
  • Options
    This will be my 3rd pregnancy that I'm nursing through. Hang in there mamas!