July 2015 Moms

Did the sleep training window close?

My son has been sick with a bad cold and bronchiolitis for a couple weeks and while he's been sick I've been rocking him to sleep which means any sleep training progress we had made is back to square one :( The bigger problem now is that in those two weeks he also started crawling and has gotten very good at pulling up to stand. Now whenever I put him in the crib if he is not very deeply asleep, he will immediately turn over, crawl to the bars of the crib and stand up. It feels like letting him CIO while he's standing up is somehow worse or like it won't work and he won't figure out how to lay back down again and just scream—am I wrong? Should I just let him cry no matter what position he's in? How do I get back to being able to put him in his crib drowsy and have him be able to put himself to sleep?

Re: Did the sleep training window close?

• AKOL0AKOL0 member
    I'm going to be in the same boat. Because of teething and sharing the same room at night, we haven't done any real sleep training. I think any position should still work. They'll get tired enough to lay down. We are going to start night training next week. Then, because we'll be busy this month, we are going to start nap training next week. I've really been stressing over it and feel bad for waiting so long.
  • My LO did that when sleep training. He eventually laid down and went to sleep. Now when I put him in there when he's awake he sits up and makes a few squeaks but lays down pretty quick and goes to sleep. 
  • Loading the player...
  • You should be fine. We put LO down sleepy but awake most of the time, and he will usually just roll over and go to sleep on his own. If he's feeling particularly rambunctious, he'll stand up and squeal about it for a few minutes, but when he realizes it's not play time he lays back down and goes to sleep. Heck, he'll wake up in the middle of the night, stand up, scoot around his crib, and lay back down to sleep (our video monitor saves still shots with time stamps, so I'm always interested in seeing his late night shenanigans).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker