Baby Names

Thoughts on Sylvia, or even Sylvie

I'm just looking for general thoughts on Sylvia, or even Sylvie. 

I know that Sylvia probably seems a little dusty to some, but I think it's usable. Heck, in 1985, the year Golden Girls began, Sophia was ranked 236, and was given to eldest character, and now it's in the top 5. I'm not saying that Sylvia is the new Sophia, but I am saying that the qualities I like in Sophia are the same I like in Sylvia, except I like Sylvia more. 

And what about Sylvie? Is Sylvie fresher? Or is it better as a nickname for Sylvia?

Also, do you prefer the spelling Sylvia or Silvia? 

According to BehindTheName, Sylvia is a variant of Silvia, which is the feminine form of Silvius, but that Sylvia has been the most common spelling in English since the 19th century. 

That definitely seems to be true in America  since, according to the SSA, Silvia hasn't even been in the top 1000 since 2995, and even then it was 990. 
Sylvia was 493 in 2014. 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Thoughts on Sylvia, or even Sylvie

• I prefer the spelling Sylvia. Sylvia as the given name and Sylvie as a nickname. I love the name, it's classic and beautiful. Definitely similar to Sophia in some ways but not as common. 
    DD: Ophelia 5/18/15
  • I like Sylvia,  and I prefer it to Sylvie. 

• Loading the player...
  • It's nms but prefer Sylvia to Sylvie and it can be used as a nn. It's oddly popular in my area I know three little girls with the name 

• I like Sylvia, not common.  I think spelling it Silvia looks like saliva (just my first thought when I read it). 
  • NerdyLucyNerdyLucy member
    edited April 2016
    Now that you mention it, I can see that. 

Eta: I meant to quote Keri. 

• There's a big Polish community where I live so I actually know a lot of girls my age named Sylvia. I have always like it.
  • Eko14Eko14 member
    Sylvia is on our short list. Love it. Sylvie is a great nickname. Very common in the French community.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker} Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • keri0426 said:
    I like Sylvia, not common.  I think spelling it Silvia looks like saliva (just my first thought when I read it). 
    Exactly what I thought, too. Sylvia is good, Sylvie is fine but sounds a little pretentious to me unless you are French.
  • kmvisioli said:
    keri0426 said:
    I like Sylvia, not common.  I think spelling it Silvia looks like saliva (just my first thought when I read it). 
    Exactly what I thought, too. Sylvia is good, Sylvie is fine but sounds a little pretentious to me unless you are French.

Do you feel like Sylvie is pretentious just as a formal name?

Or as a nickname to Sylvia as well? 

• I really like Sylvia. It was in the top three for us but we had an Eliot instead. :)
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I like the spelling Sylvia with Sylvie as a NN.  I knew a Sylvie once and she was anything but pretentious so I don't have that association.
  • NerdyLucy said:
    kmvisioli said:
    keri0426 said:

Just as a formal name, I think because it seems like trying to put a "fancier" European name on an American kid. But I realize this is kind of a silly bias.
  • I love Sylvia! And Sylvie as a nickname is adorable.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Sylvia Plath is maybe one of my favorite writers of all time. I love the name, but could never bring myself
    to use it for a daughter because of Plath's tragic life. 
  • Sylvie has been one of my very favorite names for as long as I can remember! Might be best as a nickname though, and I definitely prefer the spelling Sylvia.
  • kmvisioli said:
    NerdyLucy said:
    kmvisioli said:
    keri0426 said:

Just as a formal name, I think because it seems like trying to put a "fancier" European name on an American kid. But I realize this is kind of a silly bias.
    Gotcha. I think I prefer Sylvie as a nickname anyway. 

• NerdyLucyNerdyLucy member
    edited April 2016
    WildWhat said:
    Sylvia Plath is maybe one of my favorite writers of all time. I love the name, but could never bring myself
    I've considered that. 

Plath isn't the only association I have with Sylvia personally though, which is probably why I'm not as bothered. 

That's a very fair point to make though.  Thank you. 

• Eko14Eko14 member
    NerdyLucy said:
    WildWhat said:
    Sylvia Plath is maybe one of my favorite writers of all time. I love the name, but could never bring myself
    I've considered that. 

Plath isn't the only association I have with Sylvia personally though, which is probably why I'm not as bothered. 

That's a very fair point to make though.  Thank you. 

At least she made her kids a snack before sticking her head in the oven.  That speaks volumes about the kind of woman she was even if she lost a battle with mental illness.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker} Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • Sylvie would be a really cute nickname for Sylvia, which it has a very nice, classic feel to it without being overused. 
    I have never even heard of Sylvia Plath, so no association there. The only Sylvia I know is a very graceful older lady. 
    Personallu, I like Sylvia much better than Silvia...spelled the second way seems to be setting your daughter up for a lifetime of misspellings!  :|
  • I love Sylvia. My daughter's name is Vera, so I obviously love old fashioned names. I tried to get my husband to agree to Sylvia, but he was not on board. I think Sylvia is prettier than Sylvie.
    BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I love Sylvia with the nn Sylvie!
    Married 10/4/2014 (10-4, good buddy!)
    Baby Boy #1 born 1/9/17
    Baby Boy #2 EDD 11/4/18
    "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.  You rarely win, but sometimes you do."  -Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

• Sylvie would be a really cute nickname for Sylvia, which it has a very nice, classic feel to it without being overused. 
    I have never even heard of Sylvia Plath, so no association there. The only Sylvia I know is a very graceful older lady. 
    Personallu, I like Sylvia much better than Silvia...spelled the second way seems to be setting your daughter up for a lifetime of misspellings!  :|

Yes, classic without being overused.

When we named our son Peter, that was part of the appeal. It's classic, recognizable, easy to spell, but not overused on children right now.

For what it's worth, I'm not even pregnant right now. We're considering having another child in the next couple of years, and we never really discussed girl names, so I'm mostly just having fun.

• I love Sylvia. It's at the top of our list for pretty much the exact same reasons that you listed. I dislike the spelling Silvia because of saliva. I think Sylvie is better as a nn. 

TTC #1: February 1, 2014
    BFP #1: 2/21/14 EDD: 10/31/14 MMC: discovered 3/31/14 (blighted ovum) D&C: 4/3/14 at 9w6d

BFP #2:12/18/14 EDD: 8/27/14 Beta #1 (16 DPO): 50 Beta #2 (18 DPO): 54 CP: 12/25/14 at 5w0d

Names | Blog | Chart

Formally LisaG09

"Everybody wants to be happy. Nobody wants to feel pain but you can't have a rainbow without the rain."

• I love Sylvie. I used to live in France and always found it to be a cute but smart, classy name. I also love Sylvia but I feel you. Everytime I've mentioned that name people look at me like I've just said Gladys, Betty or Dorothty.
  • Looks like I'm in the minority, but I love Sylvie - it was one of two names on my shortlist for a girl. Sylvia felt too old fashioned to me personally, but I only have positive associations with the name (and Plath... But it's a common enough name otherwise that she isn't my only association)
  • Overall, on name boards, I've gotten good feedback. 
    But I also know that people here tend to be name nerds. 

• I really like Sylvie 
    DH: 34 | Me: 35
    DS1 9/24/13
    DX Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Factor V Leiden Mutation, Secondary Infertility
    MFI (SA #1
    Count 11mill, Motility: 18%, Morphology: 1%)
    MFI (SA #2Count 7 mill, Motility: 18%, Morphology: 1%)
    AMH .328 
    | FSH 13.2 
    Oct. 2016: Clomid + TI
    IVF: ER 3/1/17; 5 retrieved, 3 mature & fertilized
    Results: 2 PGS normal embryos
    Planned on August 2017 transfer
    **TW**
    Natural BFP 4/3/17,Expecting baby boy via RCS 12/7/17

• I really like Sylvie. I have an aunt Sylvia, named after her dad/my grandfather Sylvester, so I love the name but think Sylvie is fresher.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

VOTE on my Name List