Baby Names

Thoughts on Beau

my SO is in love with Beau for a boy. I like it okay enough to agree, since I basically picked the girls name. My favorite pairing so far, is Beau Zachary. Initials would be BZR. Any thoughts? I haven't heard the name used recently. 

Re: Thoughts on Beau

• I love the name Beau! 
  • Nms personally it's just too country for me that said its not side eye worthy 

• Loading the player...
  • I prefer it as a nn for Beauregard. 
  • bbiutmcph said:
    Nms personally it's just too country for me that said its not side eye worthy 
    Same. NMS at all but nothing wrong with it.
  • I love Beau! 
  • I'm not a fan. To me, it sounds like a dog name.
    Fur daughter: 02/2011
    Human sons: 11/2015 & 05/2017
    *formerly kayemjay*

• It sounds like a nickname or dog's name to me. I couldn't take it seriously as a given name that wasn't short for something. 
  • Thanks y'all. To add to this, I know that the name we have chosen for a girls name is unpopular on this board, but I was hoping to gain some insight as to why. I absolutely adore it, and I'm not going to change it - I just want to pick the brains of those who hate it. 

Girls name is Finleigh Jo. I know Finley went through a popular spell and mainly for a boy. But Leigh is SO's middle name and Jo is mine, so combining the two, Finleigh Jo happened. Tell me your woes on it! 
  • Since you asked I think Finley is all male as is the nn Finn. I think since the sound is still Lee I would NOT alter the spelling as it gives off a less classy vibe. Finley presents a ton better than Finleigh

• No problem with Beau Zachary! It's not something I would personally pick, but it's a fine name. 

I actually don't mind Finley on a girl. But I really dislike when names are changed to the "-eigh" ending because it just looks sloppy and tasteless, and makes me want to pronounce it "Fin-lechhh" or "Fin-lay" instead of "Fin-lee."
  • @kmvisioli I totally get that about the eigh ending, but I totally read Finley as "Fin-lay" and I have no idea why. 
  • @sjo&thetwins are you wanting the Finlay pronunciation then?
  • kmvisioli said:
    @sjo&thetwins are you wanting the Finlay pronunciation then?
    No not at all, the "Lee" sound. 
  • Everything everyone else said on Finleigh. The leigh ending makes me cringe and Finley is masculine. 

That said, why are you doubling up middle names on a girl, but not on a boy? I don't understand why you'd alter the spelling of a name to fit in two "honor" names for one gender but not the other.
  • I like Beau. 

Not keen on Finleigh...
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I have always really disliked this name. It doesn't even really sound like a name to me, more like a sound.
  • alyssa0714alyssa0714 member
    edited April 2016
    Thanks y'all. To add to this, I know that the name we have chosen for a girls name is unpopular on this board, but I was hoping to gain some insight as to why. I absolutely adore it, and I'm not going to change it - I just want to pick the brains of those who hate it. 

Girls name is Finleigh Jo. I know Finley went through a popular spell and mainly for a boy. But Leigh is SO's middle name and Jo is mine, so combining the two, Finleigh Jo happened. Tell me your woes on it! 
    Its not the worst name in the world, its just sort of trendy. Boys name on a girl (especially one like Finley) and using Leigh instead of ley (even though it has meaning) is what makes it trendy.

That's not the worst thing in the world, especially if you aren't bothered by it. As for Jo, its just too country sounding to me, I've never really liked it. Again, just personal preference. I think Finley looks much better than Finleigh and it still has the leigh sound which I think still counts! What about Finley Josephine? It has a better flow to me and Josephine helps balance out the name with a little more feminity.
  • Jo is a family middle name for the women on my side of the family, that's why it was just Jo and not something else with "Jo" in it. 

SO and I are both women, it was my idea to try and incorporate her middle name into the girls name as well since we would be carrying my middle name down. There are no men in either of our families that we want to honor and the middle names aren't really honoring anyone in our family in the first place, other than her and I - if that makes sense. We have twins on the way, Fin was the only girl name that I was set on and Beau is the only boy name she is really set on. Once we find out the sexes we will be able to really nail it down. Thanks for all the replies and opinions!
  • Finley is a boy's name.  Changing the -ley to -leigh doesn't make it feminine and does make it look misspelled.  If you're having a boy and a girl, I would suggest using Finley for the boy.
  • Well I like Beau.
  • We have twins on the way, Fin was the only girl name that I was set on and Beau is the only boy name she is really set on. Once we find out the sexes we will be able to really nail it down. Thanks for all the replies and opinions!
    Yeah, we are on hiatus from thinking about names for a couple weeks until we find out sexes too. Naming twins is tough! I hope you two find names you both love! 
  • Love Beau. Finleigh is trend-city. What about Leah Jo?
    My furchildren, Dorothy and Johnny :)
  • Beau is great! When it is spelled Bo, it reminds me of a dog. I know 2 little girls named Finley. I think it is fine, but I would use the -ley ending. Congrats on your twins!

Pregnancy Ticker