January 2016 Moms

Middle of the night feeds

littleloves3littleloves3 member
edited April 2016 in January 2016 Moms
Who wakes up/did wake up to feed baby in the middle of the night?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Middle of the night feeds 119 votes

I do all of it since I am EBF
74% 89 votes
My partner and I split the task
17% 21 votes
My partner wakes up to give me a break
7% 9 votes

Re: Middle of the night feeds

• Rather than take it feeding by feeding, SO and I switch who takes that night by whether or not he has to be up early for work. 
    Ex: he works early on Monday and Tuesday, so I automatically take Sunday and Monday night... he always takes Saturday so that I get one solid night of sleep where none of us have to get up at a set time.
  •  My husband wakes up early for work and I'm not back to work yet so I do the middle of the night feeding every night. On weekends he'll do her morning bottle when she wakes up for the day, about 7-8am so I can have a few hours of uninterrupted sleep. 
  • Loading the player...
  • DS is formula fed but I still do nearly all the middle of the night feeds or really early morning feeds since I am on maternity leave still. He will step in when I ask on the weekends to help give me a break, but when I go back to work he will be stepping in more since we both need to get up early in the morning. DS has started to sleep 8-10 hours overnight finally in the last few days so hoping this continues most nights for us. 
    BabyFruit Ticker image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Rather than take it feeding by feeding, SO and I switch who takes that night by whether or not he has to be up early for work. 
    Ex: he works early on Monday and Tuesday, so I automatically take Sunday and Monday night... he always takes Saturday so that I get one solid night of sleep where none of us have to get up at a set time.
    Were the exact same. Days he works late he gets up in the night (usually she only wakes once). If he works early he puts her to bed and I get up early. 
  • My husband doesn't do any of the feeding since I breastfeed. In his weekends though he does change all the diapers and takes her so I can sleep in.
  • I'm EBF so its all me. My husband is always tired. Because he works 60+ hours a week. And is busting his ass getting renovations wrapped up and trying to maintain his other baby. The lawn. Lol. 
  • DH does DS's feeding at night. We have been down to 1 feeding during the late night/early morning for the last 3-4 weeks. He eats anytime between 12:30-3:30 am. Sometimes
    he will make it to 4:00. His bedtime is anywhere between 7:30-9:00.

We both have weekends off. During the week. I get up at 5:30 for work, DH gets up at 6:00. 
  • Hubs will take turns with them on the weekend when he's off. During the week he'll take the night ones before midnight. I honestly love our 3am feedings. Little dude is so sweet then. During the day he gets so cranky if you don't have his bottle ready the moment he decides he wants it. In the middle of the night he waits patiently for his bottle and has the sweetest face. I probably won't enjoy them as much when I go back to work in May. :(
    Me: 31 DH: 40
    Married 2012
    TTC #2 since July 2016
    PCOS diagnosed 2008
  • I do the night feeds but he only wakes abiut 4-5 for one and he goes down at 9 so ive not got it that bad
  • I am EPing so when I was still waking up at 1am to pump DH handled all night feeds. With that said, I no longer pump at night and LO is STTN so now no one has to wake up. Life is grand. 
  • I'm not EBF since we have to supplement with formula. But the one time I did manage to convince DH to take a bottle feed for me in the night, he turned all the lights on and was very noisy about it so it didn't help me much! Fortunately I only have to get up once or twice a night now. 
  • My DH sleeps thought the crying so once I'm up it's pointless to wake him up to listen to my little guy cry for 10 min while he gets milk out of the freezer and warms it up. It's just easier for me to take care of it.
  • I would get up to feed baby. But we haven't done a MOTN feeding in weeks....I miss them!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - FiGB
    Married DH 11/15/08
    Formerly MissMheMhe
  • Ohmygoodness there is nothing to miss! My twins are still waking 3-4 times a night. I am losing my mind 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I know that every baby is different, but I got to thinking about this thread and how many of you are not having to do any MOTN feedings anymore.  Does a lot of the middle of the night feeding have to do with baby's weight?  DS is only about 11lbs. We are only down to 1 feeding at night.  It's not a huge pain in the butt to do it and it only takes about 30-35 minutes to do a diaper change/feed/burp, back to bed routine. Obviously though, we are both waiting for the day that we no longer have to do any feedings throughout the night. Curious to see if when your LO's got to a certain weight or even amount to eat they were doing it, or if they're just good sleepers and you lucked out. 
  • Our little guy is 11 weeks and 11 pounds and will sleep 5-6 hours and wake to feed. 
    Me: 31 DH: 40
    Married 2012
    TTC #2 since July 2016
    PCOS diagnosed 2008
  • l4rkl4rk member
    I know that every baby is different, but I got to thinking about this thread and how many of you are not having to do any MOTN feedings anymore.  Does a lot of the middle of the night feeding have to do with baby's weight?  DS is only about 11lbs. We are only down to 1 feeding at night.  It's not a huge pain in the butt to do it and it only takes about 30-35 minutes to do a diaper change/feed/burp, back to bed routine. Obviously though, we are both waiting for the day that we no longer have to do any feedings throughout the night. Curious to see if when your LO's got to a certain weight or even amount to eat they were doing it, or if they're just good sleepers and you lucked out. 
    I think people just get lucky. My friend was telling me her son woke nightly for a feed until 2 (years!!), and so did a couple other people we know. I'm still up a minimum of 2 times each night, if not 4 or 5 on a bad night.
  • Our LO is up 2-3 times to eat... She's 13 weeks and probably about 11 lbs. I am so jealous of you guys that do 0-1 feedings a night. I'm so curious what the majority of you all do.. If I wasn't being lazy right now I'd do a poll about it :) maybe another day
    DH sleeps through it all since I EBF and DH gets really grumpy if he wakes up in the middle of the night. I'd rather have him in a better mood and helping out during the day.
  • I know that every baby is different, but I got to thinking about this thread and how many of you are not having to do any MOTN feedings anymore.  Does a lot of the middle of the night feeding have to do with baby's weight?  DS is only about 11lbs. We are only down to 1 feeding at night.  It's not a huge pain in the butt to do it and it only takes about 30-35 minutes to do a diaper change/feed/burp, back to bed routine. Obviously though, we are both waiting for the day that we no longer have to do any feedings throughout the night. Curious to see if when your LO's got to a certain weight or even amount to eat they were doing it, or if they're just good sleepers and you lucked out. 
    I think it can def just depend on the baby. My little one started only doing a 10 feeding at 6 weeks old weighed around 8lbs. He is now STTN (11-12 Hours) starting at 10 weeks old and weighing around 10-11lbs. Also formula fed babies are more likely to be sleeping through the night than breastfed. 
    I think it can def just depend on the baby. My little one started only doing a 10 feeding at 6 weeks old weighed around 8lbs. He is now STTN (11-12 Hours) starting at 10 weeks old and weighing around 10-11lbs. Also formula fed babies are more likely to be sleeping through the night than breastfed. 
    I kind of figured that for most, it really just depends on the baby.  DS is formula fed.  We just increased his intake to 6oz per feeding and the MOTN feeding is only a 4oz bottle.  We've decreased the amount in an effort to get him off of it.  I am thinking of taking it down to 3.5 or even 3 oz, this week.  I am on Spring Break from school this week.  If he ends up not taking to it well, at least I'll be home to deal with the aftermath lol. 
  • @teachmegs817 haha I think that's a good approach! Once we moved his 10:00 feeding down to 3oz he seemed to have just decided it wasn't worth waking up for. Lol and for his last bottle of the night his pediatrician told us to let him eat as much as he wants. So he usually eats closer to 7 or 7.5 oz where his other bottles are 6oz. 
    I kind of figured that for most, it really just depends on the baby.  DS is formula fed.  We just increased his intake to 6oz per feeding and the MOTN feeding is only a 4oz bottle.  We've decreased the amount in an effort to get him off of it.  I am thinking of taking it down to 3.5 or even 3 oz, this week.  I am on Spring Break from school this week.  If he ends up not taking to it well, at least I'll be home to deal with the aftermath lol. 
    My Lo is 13 weeks and has on and off sttn (10-12hrs) at 10 weeks (50/50 chance) . Sometimes she wakes around 3 for a feeding and sometimes shes out until 7. Now she started doing this more often when she hit 12 lbs. I think I read thats a healthy weight for them to be able to go all night. Saying that all babies are different. Some sleep through the night at 6 weeks and less then that. Its more a developmental thing as opposed to a feeding thing I think. But it also happened more often when I upped her formula to 6oz a bottle as opposed to 4. She gets anywhere from 28-32oz a day now. 
  • @teachmegs817  Sttn happened more consistently for us when LO reached 11-12lbs and took 6oz bottles during the day. He wakes up twice between 5-7am but we offer the pacifier first and he's been content with that until his breakfast at 7:30ish. We sort of night weaned him to help with sttn. As we increased his day time ounces we decreased the night ounces. It took about 10 days to for him to decide it wasn't worth getting up for. 
  • Thanks ladies! I appreciate the responses.   :)