July 2016 Moms
Options

Hypnobirthing/Hypnobabies check-in

I've read a couple different places that people are thinking about/planning to use these methods or have used them in the past. I thought I would start a check-in for support.  Below are some questions, please feel free to add others or any additional thoughts/comments you have!

Are you using hypnobirthing or hypnobabies?

How are you learning the method (class, online, book)?

Have you used it before?  Did it help?

Things you like/are going well?

Things you don't like/are challenging?

GTKY - how does your birthing partner(s) feel about the method?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Me: 29 & Husband: 36                                                         
Married: October 2014
NTNP: April 2015 - June 2015
M/C: June 2015
TTC #1 since September 2015
BFP: 11/9/15 - EDD: 7/24/16

Re: Hypnobirthing/Hypnobabies check-in

• Options

Are you using hypnobirthing or hypnobabies? Hypnobirthing.  I actually didn't realize they were different until reading that here

How are you learning the method (class, online, book)? I bought the book and am doing a self-study since I can't afford the full class right now.  I've also supplemented the book with YouTube videos as needed which has been helpful!

Have you used it before?  Did it help? I'm a FTM so never in birth.  However I have practiced yoga for years so the concept of meditation and relaxation is not foreign to me and is something I believe can work.

Things you like/are going well? The book has given me SO much confidence in my body's ability to labor and deliver.  I had a lot of anxiety and fear about this process before and a lot of that has gone away.  If that's the only thing I take away it will be worth it.  I'm also enjoying the dedicated time daily to practice as I find it helps my overall stress level.

Things you don't like/are challenging? I wish there was a way to practice the "surge" breathing (breath used during contractions).  I can practice the breath, but I have a feeling it's going to be different when I'm actually experiencing a contraction at the same time.

GTKY - how does your birthing partner(s) feel about the method? My mom is super into it.  She's a yoga teacher so really his right up her alley and she feels confident that she can help me into the relaxation with her experience helping people do it in their yoga practice.  DH is on the fence...I don't think he believes it can actually be done.  He isn't interested in reading the books, but is open to watching the YouTube videos with me so I think he will at least be prepared during labor.  Plus my mom will tell him what to do.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Options
    kellz14kellz14 member
    edited April 2016

Thanks for starting this @megstervt !

Are you using hypnobirthing or hypnobabies? Hypnobabies.  But I read most of the hypnobirthing book to at least know what I'm getting into. 

How are you learning the method (class, online, book)? We'll be taking the hypnobabies class through our doula.  She's a certified instructor. (And also a well respected L&D nurse - I'm so psyched!)

Have you used it before?  Did it help? FTM too, so no experience. But I have two friends who used it and can't say enough good things about it. 

Things you like/are going well? I don't start the class til the beginning of May - so we'll see!

Things you don't like/are challenging? TBD in the beginning of May :) 

GTKY - how does your birthing partner(s) feel about the method? DH and I spent a long time researching together whether this was the right thing for us to do or not.  After all of that, we're now completely on the same page.  Our concerns were 1) it seemed a bit new-agey. and 2) that he wouldn't be able to be as involved because it was so "internal".   We got over #1 after doing a lot of research - the "hypnosis" techniques seem more like relaxation and focus, and not any weird out-of-body/levitate/other questionable types of things that many times get tied into hypnosis.   For #2, it appeared that hypnobabies classes did a lot to involve the partner, which was a main reason why we opted for it over the book.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Are you using hypnobirthing or hypnobabies? hypnobabies

How are you learning the method? I have the home study course. It includes a workbook, CDs and birthing partner guide.

Have you used it before?  Did it help? I had a hypnobirthing cd last time, but I wasn't as consistent as I could have been. I had a quick, uncomplicated, med free birth and I think some of the techniques helped with that.

Things you like/are going well? I like my daily affirmations. After a week, I've found myself more confident and excited. 

Things you don't like/are challenging? It's time consuming! I know it's worth it, but damn. 

GTKY - how does your birthing partner(s) feel about the method?  DH thought it was cultish at first, but he's fully on board. He was my rock the first time around, and is supportive of whatever I want.

• Options

I love this thread already!!! Thanks for starting it!!

Are you using hypnobirthing or hypnobabies? I'm reading the Hypnobirthing Book and am waiting a couple more weeks to buy the Hypnobabies home study course.

How are you learning the method (class, online, book)? Book right now, some youtube videos. Honestly, I'm waiting to see if baby girl beefed up some since my last growth scan. I'm high risk and my doc was concerned about her getting enough nutrients. I think he was just trying to prepare for worst case scenario, but I'm still worried there's a slight chance he'll want to induce early.

Have you used it before?  Did it help? FTM here

Things you like/are going well? I agree with @megstervt I just gained so much confidence that my body was built for this and that it's possible to have a positive birth experience. I know that things can change but I feel like even then this technique prepares you to remain calm and open and flexible even if plans change and you end up with an emergency C-section for instance.

Things you don't like/are challenging? I was actually a little confused about how they say that the urge to push is really just a construct from having been inundated with scenes and examples of "purple pushing" from movies and tv. I've heard so many birth stories where the mom says she felt an overwhelming urge to push. It seems like the book is saying listen to your body, you body knows what to do but then says your body is "wrong" for wanting to push. I'm hoping I get more clarity about this.

GTKY - how does your birthing partner(s) feel about the method? Honestly not sure if he's just placating to me or genuinely on buying into it. I mean, he's the type that will support me no matter what. He's in the medical field so I think he's pretty much like go for it, but he's prepared for shit to hit the fan too.

• Options
    @pinklady2015 I was thinking the same thing about pushing!  TMI, but I've been practicing the birth breath during bowel movements.  I've found at least with that experience that I find I still have the urge to bear down but not push.  When I do the breath effectively it does allow my body to expel out.  Also, my child birth teacher (not a hypnobirthing class) talked about the difference between spontaneous baring down and directive pushing.  She said directive pushing is more like what's pictured on TV.  With the spontaneous baring down you feel the urge to bare down and this is where the breath can come in, not to push but support what your body is already doing.  
  • Options
    I'm excited for this thread too, though I've been slacking! I have the hypnobirthing book on my bedside table but I haven't read it yet! Maybe I'll start tonight! I'm excited to hear what everyone else thinks about it. Meditation has worked wonders for me in the last with anxiety issues and some pain issues as well so I have high hopes! 
  • Options
    Are any of you using guided meditations or just doing it on your own?  I've found some guided meditations on You Tube that I like and align with hypnobirthing, but I'm wondering if I should practice without it since I don't know if I'll be able to hear it/use when at the hospital?  I guess it might be helpful if I'm laboring at home for awhile, but it probably makes sense to be sure I can relax without the guide right?
  • Options
    kellz14kellz14 member
    edited May 2016
    Bringing this back!!  I just took class 2 of 6 of hypnobabies - taking class every other week with my Doula.  I'm definitely enjoying it... It's a big time investment, about an hour per day outside of the actual class itself. So hopefully it'll all be worth it!

The subject of pushing came up at my last class - And my doula pretty much gave me the same answer as you, @megstervt - She was saying, if you're unmedicated then it doesn't really make sense to do coached pushing - or forcing it.  But your body will basically lead the way and know what to do - and you should just go along with it. She pretty much said "It's like intercourse - You can't really describe it properly until you do it - and your body just knows what to do in the situation." hah!

So far we've gotten a lot into the hypnosis techniques, but haven't discussed much breathing yet...

ETA: What I meant to say to begin with -- how are YOU ladies doing with hypnobirthing/hypnobabies so far?
  • Options
    I've gotten so busy at work that I haven't been practicing as consistently. This morning I had some cramping and BH about 15min into the cramping I realized I was tense and not using any of the tools, duh!  I was able to do
    sime breathing and relax and it did help.  I'm getting worried I won't be able to do it which is a terrible mindset :-/
  • Options
    kellz14kellz14 member
    edited May 2016
    @megstervt You can do it!!!

ETA: highly inspirational gif
  • Options
    I made a labor play list last night, that's a step right?

DH 30 Me 29
    Married May 16th 2015
    EDD July 1st 2016
    Pregnancy Ticker

July BMB June Siggy 

• Options
    Just laughed out loud in my chiropractors waiting room @kellz14.  May need to pull that GIF up during labor!