March 2016 Moms

Rapid weight loss?

Have any other breastfeeding moms lost a crazy amount of weight their first week? I'm down 20lbs since when I delivered last Tuesday. Baby has been nursing a ton and has gained back his birth weight and then some. I'm just not sure if I'm overdoing it or if it's just how my body works! I'm worried I'm not eating enough and my milk might dry up... He's like a little piranha :)

Re: Rapid weight loss?

• With my first LO I lost 40lbs in the first week.  A lot of it was my body shedding the water it had retained.  With this LO I lost 25lbs in the first couple of weeks (I retained less water so I had less to lose thankfully).  I wouldn't chalk it all up to fat loss from breastfeeding.  Nursing moms do need extra calories, so when you're hungry, eat.  And make sure you drink plenty of water (never sit down to nurse without a glass of water with you). 

All that said, I wouldn't worry.  Half of the weight was probably the baby.  Don't forget placenta, extra blood in your body, fluid, etc.
  • Thanks! The human body is a crazy amazing thing!
  • Loading the player...
  • Yep that's normal.  I lost 20 in the first two weeks with every pregnancy. Slowed down dramatically after that.  Dd is 5 weeks and I'm only down a couple more lbs. Guess the last 5 are mine to work off!
    like pp said, eat when you're hungry, try to make most of it healthy but it can be hard when baby wants to nurse constantly. 
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I lost my whole baby weight in a week and a half (20lbs) but to be fair i got the baby blues hard and i probably didnt eat that much during that time. All people are different. LO was nursing every two hours as well
  • I gained 11 pounds with this pregnancy and within a week to 10 days after giving birth was close to 20 pounds below my pre-pregnancy weight. It's a combination of breastfeeding plus losing a lot of retained water. The weight loss has stabilized and as with my first baby I expect I will maintain this weight until my period returns. I haven't tried to lose weight, but last time I noticed that if I cut calories too much my milk supply took a hit. For now though, I have an oversupply.
  • Yes! I lost all 23 lbs that I gained with this pregnancy within the first 10 days after I gave birth! 
    image"">
  • Oh geeze. I gained almost 40lbs with this pregnancy! Then again, my LO was almost 11# at birth so idk how it all evens out. I lost 26 of it in those first 2 weeks. Not sure where I am now because I refuse to own a scale, but I know I'm not done. Since I'm young I expected to bounce back right away but I'm starting to accept the fact that these last 5 or so pounds are not gonna fall off on their own. Damn. Lol
  • I gained 20lbs and I lost all the weight in the first week....and then not being able to walk my usual 6 miles a day, being unable to breastfeed and eating unhealthy food caught up to me and I've gained a good 6-7lbs. I was overly active when I was pregnant and dont have that kind of time anymore. 
  • @poppy0419 The best times to do things are when LO sleeps.  By now you might be getting an hour to an hour.5 of baby snoozing time.  Try putting baby down and doing an activity in the house.  Do you have Amazon?  Lots of workout videos.  A chance to walk LO in the stroller?  Go for it!
  • I've been going out on walks more recently. I definitely should try some workout videos. Do you have any in particular that you like? 

Her naps are so everywhere so it's hard to gauge how long I'll have. Usually I'm so stressed about cleaning up things instead because we aren't in our own place still so letting things go is harder....I'm so worried about feeling like a burden. Hopefully when were settled it'll be way easier to take the time. 
  • I've been using fitblender.com for free videos.  I'm usually a gym person but dd can't go to the tot room until 8 weeks so I've been using that website anytime I can get both little ones napping at the same time. They have lots of videos anywhere from 10-90mins long. Kind of boring but free and you can do them at your convenience.