February 2016 Moms
Options

Breastfeeding Pain

Ok, it's been 6 weeks and I'm still in a lot of pain. I've seen Lactation Consultants and go to a breastfeeding support group every week with more Lactation Consultants. My left nipple is shorter than the right so it causes more pain. She won't take the nipple shield now but it sort of caused pinching pain for me anyways when she did take it. Wondering when breastfeeding pain went away for you ladies and whether or not it is completely painless or just a slight amount of pain now. I'm in need of some encouragement that this will end one day.

Re: Breastfeeding Pain

• Options
    You may want to see your OB to see if you have thrush. I had it and it caused a significant amount of pain in my nipples. I was in the same boat. I just thought it was the way it was supposed to feel for a FTM. It's not! 

It's  worth checking out. Hope it gets better mama!
  • Options
    I just mentioned this in another thread, but after 5.5 weeks I also still have pain. It goes away after maybe 15 - 30 seconds, but I have to kind of brace myself and breathe through it while he latches. My nipples are pinkish red and irritated, but no more blisters after sessions with a lactation consultant. Lanolin does help a lot, though.

Now I'm paranoid about thrush!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    mwmiller4mwmiller4 member
    edited April 2016
    I probably shouldn't admit this and it's going to make the "just put some breast milk/coconut oil on it" people go blind with rage, but aquaphor was a lifesaver for me. Granted, I already use it like the dad from "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" uses windex...
  • Options
    I know how frustrating it can be to be seeing a lactation consultant and still having issues. I had issues with my son and once they were resolved I had no pain by about Five weeks. I have had no pain with this LO. You really shouldn't be experiencing any pain if your LO is latched properly.

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I just saw my OB yesterday for my PP visit and she did a breast exam. I explained my pain with breastfeeding and she gave me a pity face when she saw my red nipples. But she didn't mention anything about thrush so I'm assuming that's not my issue?? LO has always been an aggressive sucker since birth and occasionally we will have really good days feeding/latching on the right side (even a few painless feeds). Even when the latch looks good on the left there is pain though. I assumed it was my nipples or her mouth size, or some combination. I just wish whatever it was it would fix itself quickly. I really want to be at the point where I don't dread feeding her
  • Options
    Ask your OB for a prescription cream called APNO. It helped heal my nipples. I have short nipples and I think this was a reason for my sore, blistering, bleeding nipples. With deep regret I stopped and exclusively pump now-although it was a recommended option from our hospital lactation -I still have guilt over it. 
    Married 4-27-13
    TTC for 1.5 yrs
    41 yrs old; DH is 37
    April 2014 MC at 9 wks 
    Jan 2015 Clomid, BFN 
    Feb 2015 Clomid, Ovidril, 1st IUI, BFN 
    Mar 2015 Clomid, Ovidril, 2nd IUI, BFN 
    May 2015 1st IVF, 19 follicles, 18 eggs retrieved on May 20, 13 fertilized, transferred 1 Blastocyst on May 25=BFP!; froze 2 Blastocysts
    Full term healthy baby boy born on 2-11-16
    Jan 29, 2018: FET 
    Feb 8. 2018: BFP! :)
    Mar 6: weak heartbeat. :(
  • Options
    Married 4-27-13
    TTC for 1.5 yrs
    41 yrs old; DH is 37
    April 2014 MC at 9 wks 
    Jan 2015 Clomid, BFN 
    Feb 2015 Clomid, Ovidril, 1st IUI, BFN 
    Mar 2015 Clomid, Ovidril, 2nd IUI, BFN 
    May 2015 1st IVF, 19 follicles, 18 eggs retrieved on May 20, 13 fertilized, transferred 1 Blastocyst on May 25=BFP!; froze 2 Blastocysts
    Full term healthy baby boy born on 2-11-16
    Jan 29, 2018: FET 
    Feb 8. 2018: BFP! :)
    Mar 6: weak heartbeat. :(
  • Options
    @ambdtb thank you! I actually have the APNO after my first session with the lactation consultant. It helps them heal between feedings but the pain is still there during the feeding. I think it's something she and I will just have to grow into. For now I feed her more on my right side and pump more from the left since my right nipple is longer. Hopefully once her mouth is bigger more pain goes away!
  • Options
    I also had a struggle with thrush. My ob looked at my breasts and said they looked fine. But when I brought my LO in to her pediatrician she treated both of us. Well then LO cleared up and I was still hurting so I went back to my ob and he gave me a second treatment for yeast. Finally I'm feeling much better and it's not so painful anymore. My pediatricians nurse is a lactation consultant also and she said when your nipples are a rosie pink/red that is a sign of yeast. Which is what mine were and actually got so bad that I was swollen and pretty sure the yeast got in my ducts. Was not fun at all. 
  • Options
    OMG now I'm terrified of thrush. Wish I'd known this before I saw my OB yesterday!
  • Options
    xokateoxxokateox member
    edited April 2016
    @middy411 I'm in the exact same boat! I feel like I've tried everything including the lactation consultant at my weekly breastfeeding group, lanolin, coconut oil, working on the latch, heating pad, soothies, etc. It's gotten a bit better on my left side but my right side is also shaped differently and hurts a ton, but mostly in between feedings. My pediatrician kind of blew off the idea of thrush, and said it was likely vasospasm, which seems like it could be it, but sometimes I wonder. The symptoms are quite similar. Unfortunately I think it is due to latch/ anatomy of my nipple and her mouth and I'm hoping it gets better as she grows? I dunno. It's so frustrating. I'm with you!!

ETA LO is 7 weeks old. 
  • Options
    I had thrush too. There was no rash or other signs externally, but nursing was incredibly painful, and one morning I felt stabbing pains deep in one breast about 30 minutes after nursing. It was one of the most painful things I've ever felt. I read that it could be thrush, so I checked and baby had a white coating on the back of his tongue, but nowhere else. We were both treated with Nystatin. It only took a couple days for the pain to go away. I've also started taking a probiotic every day and cut out sugar, beer, and yeast from my diet, since that's what the yeast that causes thrush feeds on. I also clean with apple cider vinegar and apply coconut oil after nursing. 

Whatever it is, I hope you find a solution! 
  • Options
    If the pain is really intense when they latch and it is reeking havoc on your nipples you should have your LO checked for tongue tie.  My LO was tongue tie and we had it corrected worth immediate results. Breastfeeding greatly improved since.