Baby Names

Girl name: Cora Rose

we're having a little trouble picking a girl name (we're team green with #2.) Our DD's name is Aubrey Elizabeth so we are looking for a somewhat traditional name for this one as well. We were originally decided on Rachel Marie for this one, but my H has recently wavered and isn't sure about it. 

Cora Rose is an old family name on his mother's side which he really likes, and I do too, but I'm wondering if it's TOO old?! 

Thoughts? 

Re: Girl name: Cora Rose

• bbiutmcphbbiutmcph member
    edited April 2016
    Cora is actually on that gaining popularity train. It's heading towards trendy and was 103 in 2014 and only becoming more popular. I like Cora Rose though and I like Rachel both are nice choices

• LNic5LNic5 member
    I love Cora Rose....I prefer it to Rachel, which seems more dated
  • Loading the player...
  • Love it. I'm in love with all the Cora, Callie, cara sounding names, but it doesn't go with our last name. She would end up sounding like calamari. 
  • Cora's very popular, I don't really think of it as an old name at all. Rachel seems very dated to me. 
  • Cora Rose is beautiful. :) I personally prefer it with Aubrey Elizabeth, it's a very classic name.
    They could easily be mixed too...Cora Marie is pretty, too! :)  
  • I know three little Cora's (age two and under). I feel like Cora ages well and sounds better with Aubrey than Rachel does....
  • I tend to think of Cora as an older name too as I have a grandmother named Cora, but it is definitely coming back. I think it's common for legitimate names to go in and out of popularity over time and if you love the name then I wouldn't let how popular it may or may not be impact your decision. I feel like Rachel is another name that has gone in and out of style over the years. They're both very nice names.
  • I like the names Cora and Rose, but I don't think I like them together...they kind of run together when you say them out loud...like there are too many R's right up against each other.  You're probably not going to call her Cora Rose very often though, so if you love it go for it.
  • I much prefer Cora Rose. It is beautiful. Rachel also feels dated to me.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I've had Cora on the brain, lately. I love it. 
  • I've never understood the obsession with Cora - i don't think it sounds pretty and just can't get on board.  (Cara I love!)  I much prefer Rachel in this scenario. 
  • Cora Rose is lovely, as long as you don't mind popular. I personally know someone who recently named their baby Cora Rose and I know several other little Coras. It's a great name!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Beautiful names. I've loved the name Cora since I read "The Last of the Mohicans" in high school.
  • I know several Coras under 3 and no older people with the name, so to me it feels like a little girl name. I prefer Cora Marie to avoid the "ra-ra" sound of Cora Rose.
  • I love Cora Rose. It is an old fashioned name that has come back and is becoming popular again. I definitely don't think it's too old. Aubrey and Cora are a great pair.
  • Hate to be the voice of dissent, but Cora Rose is too much "r" for my ear. Just an opinion...
  • Eko14Eko14 member
    Two thumbs up for Cora Rose. Old name making a comeback. Rachel feels like it doesn't flow with DD.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker} Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • Cora is an old fashioned name, but definitely gaining popularity. For that reason, I don't think it sounds "too old" 
    Have you considered Clara? 
  • delujm0 said:
    I like the names Cora and Rose, but I don't think I like them together...they kind of run together when you say them out loud...like there are too many R's right up against each other.  You're probably not going to call her Cora Rose very often though, so if you love it go for it.
    This. NAF of the double R's. Cora is definitely getting trendy though so it's not too "old".

Me: 29 / Hubster: 31
    Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you all for your feedback- we've decided on Cora Marie, if it's a girl! Thanks again!