June 2016 Moms

Position of baby

I hear people saying they feel baby's butt or elbow or fist.... How do you know?  I dont even know if he is head up or down.  I feel movement all the time but other thinking he might have 10 legs I can't differentiate anything.  I'm also not supposed to have any more ultrasounds (since anatomy scan), so how does the OB tell?  Obviously I'm a FTM...

Re: Position of baby

• My midwife can tell by feeling around pretty accurately after 32 weeks. This baby was head down last week. 

My old OB with my first was worried that ds was breach by the way he felt, so sent me to a late ultrasound. She was wrong, he was head down. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My OB could feel that he was head down at 24 weeks and saw it on a brief ultrasound at 28 weeks (she was checking because I had some abdominal pain).  I haven't felt any movement that I would attribute to him flipping all the way around, so I assume he's still head down and the firm larger thing I'm feeling up high on my bump is his butt or knees.  I can't tell for sure though.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you for asking this question I thought I was alone and the only one that wasn't having a later US. My Dr feels around but says nothing about position.  My kicks or punches feel so random all over I can't sort them out either. 
  • My midwife could tell my feeling and so could my friend who has 2 babies ... Both of their prodding was rougher than I feel comfortable doing lol 

baby was head down last appt but I think has changed since I am not getting kicks up near my ribs recently and instead have a dance party on my pelvic floor :) 
  • This is my second pregnancy, and I've never been able to figure out what is what. My midwife says that baby is breech (first was as well), and they basically just push on the head/bum until they figure out which one is rounder. Because I know baby is breech I can tell when the little bugger is head butting me in the ribs, or stretching out (aka I can't bend forward for a bit, or a large bulge comes out that side). Other than that, have no idea. 
  • At my last u/s, which was at 26 weeks, the baby had moved head down and I can tell he is still head down since most of the strong movements are from my belly button up and sometimes I'll feel a protruding hard spot in the middle above my belly button which I think is his butt since it does go away. Also, he gets hiccups almost every day and I can feel a very soft 'thump' over and over for a few minutes basically right above my vag.

I think if you focus on the strength and location of the movements, you may be able to tell if he's head down or not or OB may be able to tell at your next appt (or ask if they can tell).

Me - 33, DH - 33
    Married - May 2014
    DH - Low Count/Motility/Morph - Varicocele vein x 2 - surgery (8/11) - success!
    BFP - 10/10/15, EDD - 6/20/16 - It's a BOY!
    Baby #1 - 6/29/16 - Lucas Christopher, 10 lbs 3 oz, 22.25 inches
    Baby #2 - TTC May 2017
    BFP - 9/10/17, EDD - 5/26/18 - It's a GIRL! - RCS May 22nd

My Chart

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• In addition to feeling around, at my 35 week appointment with DS they did the GBS swab and checked me for dilation. They can actually feel LO's head if they are head down. 
  • I'm an STM, and I really have no clue. I was told she was breech at 20 weeks, which I could feel from the kicks to my cervix. Now, I feel more movement closer to my ribs and some closer to my bladder, but not sure which are fists and which are feet!

• gauge1234 said:
    My midwife could tell my feeling and so could my friend who has 2 babies ... Both of their prodding was rougher than I feel comfortable doing lol 

baby was head down last appt but I think has changed since I am not getting kicks up near my ribs recently and instead have a dance party on my pelvic floor :) 
    My baby is head down (US confirmed on Thursday) and I still feel a lot on my pelvic floor and below my bikini line. She had her feet in front of her face at the ultrasound so even though you feel a lot down below doesn't mean baby isn't head down. They also move their hands a lot by their face which you can also be feeling. So don't give up hope! 
    Mrs. H
    Crohn's Dx: August 2008
    Endometriosis Dx: May 2010
    Married: 05/19/2012
    TTC #1: June 2013
    BFP: December 2013
    DS: Born 08/29/2014
    TTC #2: July 2015

BFP #2: September 25, 2015

• I go this week for my 30 week appt.  I'll ask her what she thinks.  She hasn't been feeling at all, just listening to the heartbeat.  
  • Mine doc either. She said no worries till 36 weeks.
  • Another STM who has never been able to figure it out with any degree of confidence. My OB says he could feel the head down at my appointment last week, and most of the kicks are above my navel, so that sounds right to me. It gets a little easier as they get bigger, but with my first, I was never able to say for sure what was a foot, etc.
    CafeMom Tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • BoonhildeBoonhilde member
    edited April 2016
    I feel my baby's heel up by my right ribs. I know it's his heel because omg there's no way it's anything else. It's got some power behind it, and a hand is more... handlike.

I know. I'm a huge help. :(
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Here is what my OB told me:

I feel a big bump near my right rib cage.  Is it head or rump?  Push on it.  If the entire "bump" moves (for example, when I push on it, I can actually feel baby in my lower left hip), then you are pushing on rump and baby is head down.  If  you are pushing down on head, you won't get that same movement of your entire bump because the baby's head will move at the neck, and the entire body will not move.
    Married: June 25, 2011
    DS #1: Born September 29, 2013
    Baby #2: Due June 3, 2016

DST T4L

• At my last u/s, which was at 26 weeks, the baby had moved head down and I can tell he is still head down since most of the strong movements are from my belly button up and sometimes I'll feel a protruding hard spot in the middle above my belly button which I think is his butt since it does go away. Also, he gets hiccups almost every day and I can feel a very soft 'thump' over and over for a few minutes basically right above my vag.

I think if you focus on the strength and location of the movements, you may be able to tell if he's head down or not or OB may be able to tell at your next appt (or ask if they can tell).
    This is almost exactly what I was going to day.  I get the hard kicks to my rib area and the little consistent hiccups way down low.  Ultra sound showed he was head down last week. 
  • My baby has been head down for weeks now and the midwife said his butt was probably in the center of my bump and his legs/feet are hanging out on the right side of my belly. That would explain why I feel a tiny little knot on the right side at times rolling over there.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I found out last week that mine is head down (in an ultrasound), but honestly I have no idea how to tell what's what.  I'd been thinking he was kicking my cervix but apparently he was punching it!  I swear he uses my bladder as a pillow.
  • No clue! This is my third. The OB I had with my first would like feel around my pelvis area and could somehow tell if she was grasping the baby's head, so she would usually do that to see if he was head down at each appointment. I don't remember at what point she started checking.

This OB does an u/s at some point to check, but I can't remember how far along. Otherwise, I have no clue how to tell. When I feel hiccups, they are very low, as others have mentioned, so likely head down I would think.
    DS1 5-18-2012
    DS2 5-18-2014
    DD1 EDD 6-21-2016

babysizercom pregnancy ticker
  • NicknShan said:
    Here is what my OB told me:

I feel a big bump near my right rib cage.  Is it head or rump?  Push on it.  If the entire "bump" moves (for example, when I push on it, I can actually feel baby in my lower left hip), then you are pushing on rump and baby is head down.  If  you are pushing down on head, you won't get that same movement of your entire bump because the baby's head will move at the neck, and the entire body will not move.
    This is exactly what I was going to say. Also, if your LO gets hiccups as much as mine (rhythmic "kicks" for :30 or so) that's a pretty good way to tell where the head is. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker