December 2015 Moms

Is it too late for LO to take bottle?

DD is almost 14 weeks old. I've slowly Tried to get her to take a bottle, but it doesn't seem to be going well. DH travels so he isn't around to try. I would love to go out for an evening with DH and not worry that DD will act up or have a meltdown. I don't want Feel guilty for leaving her. I want to know that she will be okay or take a bottle from someone. Any advice? I hope I'm not too late!!!

Re: Is it too late for LO to take bottle?

• I don't think it's too late but it'll likely be more challenging. I think curiosity helps at this age though at getting them willing to accept something new. I'd maybe try it when she's hungry but not so much that she'll get frustrated easily.

Don't stress it of it takes her a while. I also found it helps to hold them differently than you do for nursing. With DD I had her sitting up with her back to my chest and once she got the hang of it can feed her facing me more now. I have a habit of tucking a burp cloth under her chin when I feed her and I think it helped to continue this with the bottle, it's a definite sign for her that food is coming.

You can also try it at a time of day when she's generally more laid back like after a nap or a bath (if not part of bedtime).
  • DD is pretty bad about taking a bottle as well. What worked for us is having her sit on our lap facing out. Then having the TV on so that distracts her. It usually takes a minute but then she will take the nipple in. She usually won't eat much from a bottle but those things helped her at least take some.

• Loading the player...
  • We had good luck with middle of the night feedings when LO was groggy from sleep.
  • What bottles have you mommies had luck with?
  • We have only ever used Dr Browns.
  • Our daughter took to the munchkin bottles really well when I went back to work since they have a more natural shape
  • We use the Avent Naturals with first flow (preemie) nipple.
  • We use the como tomo bottles. Haven't tried anything else but chose those due to good reviews from nursing moms! 
  • We use Dr Browns with ultra premie or premie nipple
  • I use dr browns but I have a friend IRL that uses latch bottles to avoid confusion 
  • My son is EBF and started refusing a bottle at about 2 months. He's still not a fan but he'll take the munchkin latch bottles.  We were using the 1 nipple but he was getting super frustrated so we switched to the 2 flow since I have a fast let down. 
  • We use Mam. Maybe try go to whoever would babysit and have them try the bottle. My LO occasionally goes on a bottle strike but does eventually give in. 
  • +1 for como tomo. DD has started refusing bottles though, but she'll take one at night if she happens to wake up before 7:00AM. DH says she's just too tired to fight. 
    Married 05.19.07 | Together since 03.11.00 | Dom Born 02.06.12 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers 

Pregnancy Ticker

• We use Medela bottles, since I pump at work, but only the standard nipples- we never had luck with the attachment that makes it more like a breast...
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have tried for 15 weeks, still no luck
  • It's late/early and I read the title to this to the tune of the Biebs. These motn feedings are making me delirious.