Trouble TTC

Heathy eating and fertility

Has anybody tried to alter their diet to improve their changes of success TTC?
I read "The Fertility Diet" over Christmas, and found it interesting, but not entirely novel. Just basically, avoid trans fats and processed foods, eat lots of fruits and veggies, trade red meat for more fish and lean protein, whole dairy is better than skim, alcohol and caffeine in moderation. 

I've seen studies reporting that women with celiac disease have a low fertility when they consume gluten in their diet (makes sense I guess).
I also saw this research suggesting that any alcohol can lower fertiltiy - "Alcohol intake was significantly associated with reduced fecundability. A dose-response effect was apparent, with those who drink <1 drink/day experiencing a 30% reduction, and those who drink 1+ drinks/day experiencing a 50% reduction in the FOR when compared to nondrinkers"  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3203540/

Has anyone changed their diet to help with fertility or have a doctor suggest that they avoid anything (dairy, gluten, alcohol?)

We eat pretty healthy, especially over the summer when my garden is in full production. I've been trying to gradually switch us over to a Mediterranean style diet with more veggies and fish, less carbs (and only whole grain), minimal red meat, using olive oil instead of butter, ect. It gets me so frustrated and angry to see unhealthy people eating junk who get pregnant so easily. Doesn't it just feel so unfair at times?

Anyway, just interested to see what others are doing, mostly as a GTKY discussion :)

Me 34 DH 36 Married since July 2010 
MFI (High DNA Fragmentation) & Mild endometriosis
TTC #1 since June 2015 
Aug 2016 - May 2017  6 IUI's with letrozole - BFN
April 2017 - laparoscopy to remove mild endo
June 2017 - Mini IVF letrozole 12.5mg, Gonal-F 75IU - Cancelled early ovulation, no eggs retrieved. 
Aug/Sept 2017 - Mini IVF letrozole 12.5mg, Gonal-F 75IU, cetrotide - 13 eggs retrieved, 11 mature
5 eggs ICSI'd 6 eggs frozen - 1 day 5 blast transfered, 2 expanded blast frozen - BFP!
May 2018 - Baby girl born - Our Joy

TTC #2 since July 2019
July 2019 - FET - BFN
Jan 2020 - FET - canceled due to family health issues
Mar 2020 - FET - low beta - chemical pregnancy
July 2020 - ICSI'd remaining 6 eggs - 3 fertilized - 2 survived to early blast stage, transfered both - Chemical Pregnancy

Re: Heathy eating and fertility

• calfherdercalfherder member
    edited April 2016
    I cut as much sugar as possible and reduced carbs, and am trying to eat only whole foods (I'd say I'm at around 95% whole foods only). So mainly eating fruits and veggies, natural peanut butter, grilled chicken, salmon, and eggs. I've been doing this for one month so far. I've also added CoQ10/ubiquonol supplement. I don't drink alcohol or soda so didn't have to make any changes there. Our IF is male factor, but our first IVF failure was partially from an egg quality issue, so I figure it doesn't hurt to change things up before round 2. I'll never know 100% if it helps my eggs, since my clinic and protocol will be different this time as well. I do feel healthier though, especially without all the sugar  :)
    IUI #1 November 2015 - 0% Motility
    IVF #1 January 2016 - (FAIL/Over-suppressed)
    IVF #2 May 2016 - (FAIL/25 eggs, 1 5BB xx, PGS abnormal)
  • That's great! @calfherder I think sugar is the hardest thing for me to limit, I have such a sweet tooth, especially for breakfast (and my evening chocolate). I hope the changes you've made have a positive impact on your next IVF round. :)

TTC #1 since June 2015 
    June 2017 - Mini IVF letrozole 12.5mg, Gonal-F 75IU - Cancelled early ovulation, no eggs retrieved. 
    Aug/Sept 2017 - Mini IVF letrozole 12.5mg, Gonal-F 75IU, cetrotide - 13 eggs retrieved, 11 mature
    5 eggs ICSI'd 6 eggs frozen - 1 day 5 blast transfered, 2 expanded blast frozen - BFP!

TTC #2 since July 2019
    July 2019 - FET - BFN
    July 2020 - ICSI'd remaining 6 eggs - 3 fertilized - 2 survived to early blast stage, transfered both - Chemical Pregnancy

• Loading the player...
  • I've heard more than once that gluten can add to infertility so I try my best to avoid...it's hard but gets easier as time goes on
    TTC since May 2013
    Mild PCOS, Compound Heterozygous MTHFR
    No Folic acid/pharmaceuticals/supplements (too many to list- private message me if interested), IVIL infusion
  • I am avoiding alcohol as best I can and we have dramatically cut our sugar and carb intake.   I have a long way to go on my carb cutting because I am sadly addicted but like a previous poster said even if the sugar reduction doesn't help me get to my BFP I am feeling better and losing some weight.    

Me 36 DH 34 - Married May 2010
    DX: PCOS/Unexplained Infertility/MTHFR Mutation
    TTC since December 2014
    Fresh Transfer: Gonal, Menopur, Cetrotide. ~ Chemical Pregnancy :(  
    FET #1: 1st Beta- 3,792~ 2nd Beta- 4,227~ BFP ~ Miscarriage at 8 weeks :( 
    FET #2: 1st Beta 207~2nd Beta 235~ BFP~ Miscarriage at 6 weeks :(
    FET #3: 1st Beta 18~ 2nd Beta 44~BFP~ Miscarriage 5 weeks :(
    FET #4: 1st Beta 50~ 2nd Beta 97.7~ Miscarriage 6 weeks 5 days :(
    FET#5: 1st Beta 29~ 2nd Beta 109~ 3rd Beta 227~ 4th Beta 661~ Miscarriage 5 weeks 3 days 
    Miracle Natural BFP Estimated Due Date June 2019~ God is good 
    2 snow babies 

• katbbkatbb member
    I've decided to get healthier not only to boost my fertility,  but also to have something else to focus on and obsess over besides ttc.  I've cut coffee completely and replaced it with a fruit and kale smoothie every morning.   I actually feel so much better and have more energy now that I'm not dependent of coffee anymore. I also TRY To Eat whole foods for lunch, dinner, and snacks.
  • @lablover78 Gluten is so hard to avoid! I wish there were more studies to say whether the average women (non-celiac) could benefit from going gluten free, because its such a big life change to do with no good evidence it will help.

@Worldtraveler0522  Isn't it amazing how much better you feel eating healthier? I was shocked how much more energy I have now that I'm eating whole foods and less processed stuff.

@Katbb I am so with you on needing something else to obsess over besides TTC. TTC is so out of our control in many ways, so it feels good to have something in our life that we can control, especially one that has the side effect of making us feel better & more energetic :)

Way to go everyone, I feel more encouraged to stick with my heathy eating plan and try to resist those sugary/starchy temptations. 

TTC #1 since June 2015 

TTC #2 since July 2019
    July 2019 - FET - BFN

• katbbkatbb member
    I forgot to add that I switched  back to whole milk after reading that whole milk is  better for fertility than skim milk.  When I brought this up with my obgyn, she didn't know why on earth I would do that and tried making me feel stupid for switching from skim milk to full fat....and told me not to  listen to " dr google"....so glad I'm finally seeing an actual RE this month! 
  • That's surprising! I'm surprised your OBGYN has never heard of the Nurses Health Study, which is where that data comes from. https://humrep.oxfordjournals.org/content/22/5/1340.full 
    If you new RE is anything like mine, they will say "just try to eat healthy" with no real specifics :/ 

TTC #1 since June 2015 

TTC #2 since July 2019
    July 2019 - FET - BFN

• katbbkatbb member
    I was surprised too. Thanks for the link:)   I will use it if I'm questioned again!
  • @ReesaAnne16 I feel so much better when I don't eat the sugars and processed food!   I should also mention that I am by no means a saint about the no sugar thing I try really hard but I may or may not have a purple tongue from the Peep I just ate.    

Me 36 DH 34 - Married May 2010
    DX: PCOS/Unexplained Infertility/MTHFR Mutation
    TTC since December 2014
    Fresh Transfer: Gonal, Menopur, Cetrotide. ~ Chemical Pregnancy :(  
    FET #1: 1st Beta- 3,792~ 2nd Beta- 4,227~ BFP ~ Miscarriage at 8 weeks :( 
    FET #2: 1st Beta 207~2nd Beta 235~ BFP~ Miscarriage at 6 weeks :(
    FET #3: 1st Beta 18~ 2nd Beta 44~BFP~ Miscarriage 5 weeks :(
    FET #4: 1st Beta 50~ 2nd Beta 97.7~ Miscarriage 6 weeks 5 days :(
    FET#5: 1st Beta 29~ 2nd Beta 109~ 3rd Beta 227~ 4th Beta 661~ Miscarriage 5 weeks 3 days 
    Miracle Natural BFP Estimated Due Date June 2019~ God is good 
    2 snow babies 

• For myself I have changed my diet for two reasons. One to make sure I am getting lots of greens and healthy protein and carbs into my diet to make sure my body is ready and equipped for a baby.  The second reason is to lose a bit of weight.  After my wedding in august 2014 I gained 25 lbs and had difficulties losing it which became harder after I went off BCP. Im not very happy wrh my body right now and I know losing excess weight can help with fertility. GL ladies. 
  • I follow the PCOS diet, no sugar, no refined carbs, no gluten, and no dairy. It has been about 6 weeks.  The hardest thing for me was candy, I am a huge candy addict.  I would get cravings for candy in the afternoon and start fantasizing about skittles and the just HAD to have them after work.  As it turns out sugar addiction and crazy cravings are common for women with PCOS!  I actually eat more calories now than I ever have before and I lost 5lbs (probably not good for me).  Nothing has changed with my fertility yet but hopefully over time it will.
    TTC since May 2015 with domestic partner of 13 years. Me 33 OH 33.  No ovulation or natural menstruation. Normal SA.
    Diagnosed PCOS February 2016
    First cycle 50mg Clomid 5/3/16, O'd CD 19 BFN
    Second cycle 50mg Clomid 6/1/16 O'd CD 18 BFN
    Third cycle Clomid 6/29/16 O'd CD 16 BFP @11dpo!
    EDD April 3 and praying things work out!
  • Great job ladies! The sugar thing is where I really fall flat. I will eat an awesome dinner with fish & lots of veggies, and then an hour later eat a bowl of sugar cereal... It's so hard to resist those cravings! 
    AND then, as if it isn't hard enough to get myself to eat healthy, I have to try to get DH to eat healthy since we are borderline MFI. I'm lucky he eats what I feed him for dinner, but he drinks soda at work even when I tell him to stop, and eats salty canned soup for lunch even though I beg him to take left overs from our dinners. It's a slow battle. 

TTC #1 since June 2015 

TTC #2 since July 2019
    July 2019 - FET - BFN

• I have recently changed my diet due to recently being diagnosed with PCOS. I have borrowed a few books and recipe books from the library and I already had some positive changes in my PCOS symptoms such as my skin clearing up! I am not overweight but I have been gaining extra weight in my stomach in the last year so I am on a low glycemic diet for PCOS (but I have heard its beneficial for fertility in general as well). I will keep you updated on if it helps with my ovulation etc as I continue the diet longer. 

• Its so crazy that us ladies who are having tttc have to be extra careful about everything that goes in our bodies.  I'm sure we all know women who have incredibly unhealthy lifestyles but manage to have zero problems getting KU.  I guess the universe just isn't that fair...
    TTC since May 2015 with domestic partner of 13 years. Me 33 OH 33.  No ovulation or natural menstruation. Normal SA.
    Diagnosed PCOS February 2016
    First cycle 50mg Clomid 5/3/16, O'd CD 19 BFN
    Second cycle 50mg Clomid 6/1/16 O'd CD 18 BFN
    Third cycle Clomid 6/29/16 O'd CD 16 BFP @11dpo!
    EDD April 3 and praying things work out!
  • My new doc (gp) suggested the South Beach Diet when I mentioned fertility concerns. I figured, I have a few pounds to lose and want to tackle the sugar addiction anyway, so why not try it? Also switched to a better multivitamin and adding in probiotics along with my treatment for hypothyroidism. Whether or not I get knocked up, I will be healthier and happier. 
    Married 8-9-14
    Me 34 DH 33
    TTC #1 
    Hypothyroid

• Cutting sugar! I actually just posted a similar post. I am doing a keto diet, but from what I understand, sugar is the worst thing for PCOS....so I would definitely focus on that!
    Me: 31 DH: 32
    Married: 10/4/14, Together Since: 5/21/06
    Children: 1 (girl, 3 years)

TTTC #1 since April 2015, Started Treatment Dec 2015
    5 Cycles of IF treatment until BFP! (IUI, Gonal-F, Letrozole)
    BFP: September 5th, 2016
    Born: May 22, 2017

TTTC #2 since September 2020, Currently in Testing phase 

BabyFetus Ticker