February 2016 Moms

Ugh. Diastasis recti

Had my 6 week checkup with the midwife. She broke the news that I've got diastasis. She didn't seem too worried, but said not to do any about exercises and to check my tummy again in a month. If the gap is still there, I'll need to go to the doctors office.

Anybody else? Better yet...anybody who's had it and gotten rid of it?? 

Re: Ugh. Diastasis recti

• I'm in the same boat. I had a really wide one during pregnancy, so they already told me it probably wouldn't close right up. I haven't had my 6w visit yet, but my MW already said they'll order PT if it doesn't close on its own (not sure what kind of time frame, though). 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Hi!  I have been lurking for ages, but am just now posting for the first time. I have a DD that was born Feb. 8th. Anyway, I am in the same boat. I am in physical therapy for my pelvic floor, but she is working on this issue as well. On my second appointment, she set up some basic ab exercises to do to "prime" the muscles for doing crunches, etc.  After 1 week of just Kegels from the first appointment  she told me the separation had decreased and that a strong core and a strong pelvic floor go hand in hand. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • @beth2882
    That's good to know. I've been doing kegels since shortly after birth and things *feel* strong there. Am able to control when I go to the bathroom and nothing escapes when I sneeze, for example. Here's to hoping things are better in a month! I'm going to look up some of these special exercises.
  •  Here is what she gave me to do. You can find similar ones on Pinterest. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • middy411middy411 member
    edited May 2016
    I hadn't heard of this til I scoured the Internet yesterday trying to figure out why I look more pregnant than women who've given birth in April... Since I'm going to the OB tomorrow to have my c section incision checked (I STILL have an opening at 10 weeks post partum) I guess I will ask her about this too. When I mentioned my stomach at my 6 week check up she just chuckled and said that it takes time and everyone's different. But I feel like I know my body and something seems off.
  • 4N6s4N6s member
    I have it and have been going to PT. They could write your a referral rather than waiting. 
  • @middy411 you can check it at home, too, in case she gives you the run around.. But ask her specifically to check and she should. I

• I should update, since this came up again.. mine has closed well, except over my belly button it's still wide and deep. My MW said I might have an umbilical hernia, but that they won't do anything for at least a year, unless it becomes symptomatic. 

I have been having terrible low back pain, I think from the diastasis. I just ordered a Squeem binder to see if that helps. 

• @VitaLuna Apparently I don't have it. She said my stomach just looks bigger because of my incision and where it's located. Guess I need to get started on my ab workouts...
  • VitaLunaVitaLuna member
    edited May 2016
    middy411 said:
    @VitaLuna Apparently I don't have it. She said my stomach just looks bigger because of my incision and where it's located. Guess I need to get started on my ab workouts...
    I'm glad you don't have it! But, I can imagine it's probably frustrating that that's not what it was. I'm sure you don't want to hear it, but sometimes you end up with a "c-section shelf" where your stomach gets a permanent bump/roll where the incision is :/ 

ETA: you can google image it to see if that's what you think it is.