Baby Names

Boy name help!

Boy names are so tough. It doesn't help that DH and I have totally different tastes. It also doesn't help that our last name is B@11, so no genitalia references, no names that end in B(really sad about Jacob and Caleb), and it should definitely be 2+syllables. I don't like names that have automatic 1 syllable nicknames either (Matthew, Daniel, Thomas, Nicholas, Jonathon etc.). Nothing too popular preferably. We both have 1-3 names on the other person's list that we are medium about, but not in love with.
DH has vetoed: Joshua, Isaac, Levi, Theodore, and Simon(my absolute fave)

Keep, Toss, Add please!
My list:
Aaron
Connor
Derek
Devin
Elias
Ethan
Kieran

DH's list:
Adam
Dylan
Griffin
Ian
Oliver
Tyler

Re: Boy name help!

• I really like Elias. I'd also keep Connor, Ethan, Dylan, Ian & Oliver. Toss the rest.

Add Elliott, Owen, Silas. 
    DD: Ophelia 5/18/15
  • Connor Ian sounds nice :)
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Loading the player...
  • My faves are Adam and Aaron.  Least faves are Tyler, Griffin and Derek. I don't think Jacob would be that bad with your LN though.
  • My favorites are Ethan and Oliver. I'd toss Dylan and Kieran.
  • Looking over both of your lists it doesn't seem like you're terribly far apart. Lots of your names are two-syllable names ending in "n" and they seem to have similar styles. What were the names that you guys agree on but don't love? Perhaps that will also help.

Keep: 
    Aaron
    Connor
    Elias
    Ethan
    Kieran
    Dylan
    Griffin
    Ian
    Oliver

Toss:
    Derek (don't like with your last name)
    Devin
    Tyler
    Adam (like the name, but don't think it's a good option with your last time (makes me think of "atom")

Add:
    Declan
    Silas (great suggestion PP)
    Micah
    Me: 36 | DH: 34
    Married: May 2008
    TTC #1 since August 2015
    FET #1: November 4, 2016
    BFP: November 13, 2016 
    EDD: July 25, 2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Keep:
    Aaron
    Derek
    Ethan
    Adam
    Dylan
    Ian
    Oliver
    Tyler

Toss:
    Connor
    Devin
    Elias
    Kieran
    Griffin

Add:
    Nathan
    Nathaniel 
    Eric
    Ryan
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Dylan or Ian. 
  • Thanks for all the input/suggestions! We narrowed down to this list(from the SS top 100) together, so they are all names either of us would be OKAY with, but our trouble is the ones at the top of his list are at the bottom of mine, and vice versa (Ex. Oliver- I don't mind the name, but I worry about calling him "Ollie," which I hate, even if he doesn't officially go by that...It's also a pretty popular name). Ones that we feel similarly about (Aaron, Elias, Dylan) we both like, but neither of us list as our favorites.

So I guess the question is, do you go with a name that one person LOVES and the other person is okay with, or do you go with one that both of you like, but neither loves?

I want to like Silas but it always makes me think of the creepy guy from The DaVinci Code. I actually really like Elliot, Owen, Eric, and Ryan (you guys are so good at figuring out people's taste!) but we have close family who have used those already.
  • I would keep Elias, Ethan, Dylan, and Oliver
  • darlingc said:
    Thanks for all the input/suggestions! We narrowed down to this list(from the SS top 100) together, so they are all names either of us would be OKAY with, but our trouble is the ones at the top of his list are at the bottom of mine, and vice versa (Ex. Oliver- I don't mind the name, but I worry about calling him "Ollie," which I hate, even if he doesn't officially go by that...It's also a pretty popular name). Ones that we feel similarly about (Aaron, Elias, Dylan) we both like, but neither of us list as our favorites.

So I guess the question is, do you go with a name that one person LOVES and the other person is okay with, or do you go with one that both of you like, but neither loves?

I want to like Silas but it always makes me think of the creepy guy from The DaVinci Code. I actually really like Elliot, Owen, Eric, and Ryan (you guys are so good at figuring out people's taste!) but we have close family who have used those already.
    Is most of your ambivalence about Oliver due to the potential NN Ollie? I wouldn't let that deter you. Just don't refer to him as Ollie. Some people still will try but you can just correct them. I was worried about that with my son (Philip) b/c I dislike the nn Phil. Most people know to call him Philip.