July 2015 Moms
Options

Chunky Solids

Hi Everyone. My son is 9 mos and 1 week old. I am a first time mom. I am having a lot of anxiety over feeding him chunky, solid food... or "stage 3 food." I am so nervous that he is going to choke, or that he is not ready to chew with his gums. Purees go down fine. He is very happy to eat yogurt, mashed banana, and anything that is very soft. I know that I need to start introducing "chewing" to him, but I just don't know how to do it comfortably. He does eat puffs, and keeps them in his mouth until they are soft enough to swallow. I have tried giving him little pieces of banana, and it goes well until he gags, then he does not want anything more to do with it. I mixed some chunkier banana in yogurt, and the same thing happened... a little gag and then he was through. I tried the store bought stage 3 baby foods, and the same thing happened. Now I am really nervous that he is not ready. Have any other moms been through this? Is it my anxiety that is prevailing here and he will be fine? I don't want to hold him back, but I sure as hell don't want him to choke either. Any advice?

Re: Chunky Solids

• Options
    Mine gags with the stage 3 baby food too but will eat banana chunks just fine. I figure I'll just wait a little bit longer and try again. I remember him gagging with purées too. So maybe I just have to keep trying till he's used to it. 
  • Options
    I'm in the exact same boat as you! I'm a first time mom too and I am SO nervous about my LO choking. She turned 9 months yesterday and hasn't had any finger foods yet. I tried puffs and she coughed, gagged so I freaked and haven't tried again. I know I need to but I'm just full of anxiety like you. I haven't tried stage 3 foods either yet. We go to the dr Monday for her 9 month check up and I know she's going to say give her table food...idk what to even start with? Bananas and avacado I've heard. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Maybe your little one isn't ready yet. My pediatrician said it is okay for them to take their time and eventually they will accept it. I have been giving my son super small chunks of some of the foods I eat, for example if I'm eating stew with a bit of rice, I give him one or two rices with the sauce and it helps to bland the rice and it makes it easier for him to eat it. If you don't think your little one isn't ready, do not worry, every baby is different. Keep us posted mama!! :smile: 
  • Options
    When I started giving my kiddo stage 3 foods and table food I made sure to exaggerate a chewing motion with my mouth and made noise...like nom, nom, nom. My boy started to mimic me and now he chews very well. I give him bites of anything I eat now. He loves food though!
  • Options
    You LO probably just isn't ready yet. At around 7 months, I noticed that he was starting to 'chew' his purees, so I gave him some avocado and banana pieces, and he chewed them just fine. He LOVES the stage 3 food now, too. So, just keep offering and when he's ready, he's ready.

Also, gagging is going to happen, it's totally normal. If it makes you super anxious, look up how to do infant choking and CPR (or ask your ped to show you) so you have it in your wheelhouse, just in case.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    LO also started chewing his purees, he will also chew his baby mum mums. I have given him some "chunky" mashed potatoes and he liked that. I will probably slowly incorporate more solids 
  • Options
    Take it slow and trust your instincts, Mama!  You know what is best.  From what you've said, it sounds like baby isn't ready.

Hazel eats everything we eat -- literally the same food.  Thick slices of beef, raw bell pepper, mini egg salad sandwiches.  She is 8 months.  She was 'chewing' at 5 months old and rejected purees completely.  I was very, very nervous to give her thicker, chunkier food… but she eats as well as her parents do and has never choked or gagged on food.

On the other hand, I have seen babies in my Mamas' group much older than Hazel who don't look ready for chunky food at all.  Every baby is different.  So just because your baby is a certain age, doesn't mean he's ready for stage 3 food.

Keep us updated and best of luck to you!
  • Options
    I spoke with a pediatric dietician and she recommended baby led weaning from 6 months. I was pretty nervous at first. There was a time I gave my LO too big of a piece of sweet potato and she gaged but spit it up. I then waited a couple of weeks before I tried larger chunks of food. She eventually started eating everything we eat including spices. She loves garlic! I feed her everything except leafy foods unless puréed. Every baby is different though. Best to go by your gut, what you feel comfortable with, and their cues. 
  • Options
    I've been trying some things out and they are going well. I bought these little mini frozen pancakes and I cut one up into small pieces, he does fine with that. I also buy an all natural rotisserie chicken from the market and give him little bits. String cheese is also a hit. I bought happy baby teething wafers, but I don't know how I feel about them bc big pieces break off and turn to this glue consistency in his mouth. Any recommendations for crackers? 

Also, how do you regulate how much they shovel in their mouth? He would put piece after piece in his mouth if I didn't give him one at a time. 
  • Options
    audi681 said:
    I've been trying some things out and they are going well. I bought these little mini frozen pancakes and I cut one up into small pieces, he does fine with that. I also buy an all natural rotisserie chicken from the market and give him little bits. String cheese is also a hit. I bought happy baby teething wafers, but I don't know how I feel about them bc big pieces break off and turn to this glue consistency in his mouth. Any recommendations for crackers? 

Also, how do you regulate how much they shovel in their mouth? He would put piece after piece in his mouth if I didn't give him one at a time. 
    Those wafers look a lot like the baby mum mums and I give them to LO all the time and he loves feeding himself. they come 2 to a pack and i break them in half and give him 1 half at a time. The mum mums dissolve pretty well and he likes them a lot.