January 2016 Moms
Options

Constipation - glycerin suppositories

my LO had really clay like hard poop on Monday. Called in and his regular pedi is out this week. The on call Dr said to put sugar in a bottle twice a day and give warm baths and massage his belly. I've did this for the past three days and he is still striggling to have a bowel movement. He had mentioned glycerin suppositories as a last resort. I'm going to call back in today to find out more about using them. Have any of you moms had to use them on your babies? If so how much did you use and did it work to get baby back on track for you? Or anyone have any other ideas on how to get things going again? 

Re: Constipation - glycerin suppositories

• Options
    We've had to use them once. They told us to get an adult glycerin suppository, and cut just a small "chip" off the end. The worst is that you have to hold it in for a minute so it can dissolve. Be ready if you do it, though. Things happen fast after it's in. Probably 2-5 minutes. It seems horrible, but it's better than listening to your LO scream in pain (which is what happened with us.)
  • Options
    @stephanienjer I'm going to get one this afternoon and give it a try. You are completely right, it breaks my heart to see him screaming trying to go. When tou cut your "chip" are you talking like half a dime size? I'm just so nervous about this. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes. It was about the circumference of my pinky. The doctor told us to use our pinky to get it in. Also, make sure you cut the tapered end of the suppository. There are infant suppositories out there, but it's all glycerin.
  • Options
    Thank so much! 
  • Options
    To ease your fears the glycerin is simply a lubricant. You can't really give too much, but it's just too big to actually get into little babe's.  Its not like you could overdose your LO. Make sure you lubricate with something like KY and don't just ram it in, touch it to LOs anus until it relaxes then gently slide it in. You only really need to insert your finger to the first knuckle. Advice from a nurse who's given her fair share of supps! 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I always preferred taking there temp with a rectal thermometer with plenty of Vaseline and barely wiggle it. Works every time for Thorn (:
  • Options
    @kvacmak - thank you for the tips. I don't need the info yet, but if I ever do, I'll be very grateful!
  • Options
    We almost had to use the thermometer trick when DS was two weeks old and had not pooped in a week. Doctor had us try giving him apple juice--- one ounce water and one ounce Apple juice. It got him pushing and trying. Then the next bottle of his formula I warmed up and that did the trick. If he goes a day or two now without going I just give him a warm bottle and it seems to work almost every time for some reason. 
    BabyFruit Ticker image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thank for all the tips ladies. I ended up giving him the suppository yesterday and it worked great. Now here's to hoping I don't have to do that again for a long time. I'll have to try some of these other tips as well!
  • Options
    I've had to use it a few times for my little one already. My doctor suggested not to use it unless you absolutely have to so they don't start to rely on anal stimulation in order to have a bm. If constipation continues you may want to ask about miralax. My LO has been on it since he was 4 weeks old and it has worked wonders. Just have to play around with the dose once they put on more weight. 
  • Options
    @thecubiclee good idea. I'm wondering if it's maybe a side effect from the reflux medicine he is on. I'll call his regular pedi on Monday when he gets back in and see what he says. But I'm glad to hear it is working great for your little one! 
  • Options
    Possibly. My LO is on Zantac for his reflux.