Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Possible Chemical Pregnancy

Reposting this from my BMB:

Hi everyone. I've been trying to figure out the best place to post this and I hope this is it (I'm very sorry if it isn't).

I got my BFP 12DPO on 4/10. I tested with three different brands (Dollar Store, FRER, and Clearblue digital) - all positive. It was my first time getting a positive after over a year of trying.

I was worried I wasn't experiencing enough symptoms, and my breasts started to feel less sore, so I took another FRER today with FMU. It was a very faint positive. I got really worried as I assumed the line should have gotten darker over time. 

I called the OBGYN's office and they saw me two hours after I took the test. I gave a urine sample there, and they told me it was negative. I asked if we could do a blood test and was told there would be no point, as a urine test is more accurate (I thought the opposite). I was just told miscarriages happen 50% of the time and to take this as a good sign. I've had no signs of spotting or bleeding, and was told to expect them any time within the next 4 weeks.

"Chemical pregnancy" wasn't mentioned but after looking into it, it appears to me that that could be what happened. I also read accounts of people saying HPTs are more sensitive than those at the doctor's office. I'm trying my best to be levelheaded about this, and would very much appreciate any insight, advice, stories of similar experiences. Should I insist further on a blood test? Should I just accept what I was told at the office?

Re: Possible Chemical Pregnancy

• AandDM2014AandDM2014 member
    edited April 2016
    Oh nurses! Sometimes they are so silly! Considering a blood test can detect an HCG level of 3, and most home tests start at 20, yeah I'd say a blood test is a hell of a lot more accurate. I did the same thing you did, I made the mistake of going to my OBs office waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too early. For my first (ectopic) it was negative at the OB, and I did end up having to end it. With my second, I wanted until I was 6 weeks, and knew my HCG was well over 5000, meaning I could turn any urine test.

I find it unsettling that you were told " miscarriages happen 50% of the time and to take this as a good sign." That is a beyond horrible thing to say to someone. I hope that you reported whoever said that, as it was way inappropriate. S/he should have told you to wait a little longer (12dpo is SUPER early) and come back in.

If I were you, I'd wait another week, take another at home test, and see what it says, making sure you use a digital one so there can be no confusion as to the results.

I hope you get good news, and if not you are able to process everything that has happened.
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31
    Married June 2010, TTC since March 2014
    Blog: ourbinarystar.com

FET cycle #3 Transfer July 28th 2016, Triplets born healthy on February 26th 2017 at 33w1d!

• truffliestrufflies member
    edited April 2016
    @AandDM2014 Thank you so much for your insight. I think I will go ahead and try to get a blood test done; the urine test being a better measure did sound off to me.

I was in a bit of a shock and also trying to cover up some tears so I just tried to leave as soon as possible. I think I will definitely ask to see someone else next time I go there though.

I went today so it's actually been 16 DPO. Wondering if that does make a big difference.

One thing that also concerned me was the fact that I gave a urine sample just 2 hours after the HPT I did. I thought the hCG would be strong at this point but all of the tests I've taken have been fairly faint positives, if that's any kind of indication.
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't know how sensitive the tests at your OB office are. When I went the first time my HCG was around 60 something, so I'm assuming they're pretty high, maybe 100. It is possible that you could turn a 20 home test and not a 100 test 4 days later. I personally have a terrible and unpleasant history with hpts, so I no longer take them (I work with an RE who does blood draws at 10dp5dt). Also, urine gets more diluted the further along in the day you get, so that could affect it that early on. 
    About us:
    Me - 28, Lean PCOS
    DH - 31
    Married June 2010, TTC since March 2014
    Blog: ourbinarystar.com

FET cycle #3 Transfer July 28th 2016, Triplets born healthy on February 26th 2017 at 33w1d!

• Urine tests are definitely not as sensitive as blood tests, and they are more sensitive to dilution issues.  Blood tests are also quantitative, unlike urine tests with just give you a yes/no subject to the test's limits.  At this point in pregnancy, you would typically expect HCG levels to double every 48-72 hrs.  Having blood drawn so you can start getting some data points can be a good way to try to figure out what is going on.  I was under the care of a reproductive endocrinologist (RE) when I got my first and only (so far, fx) BFP.  My RE's standard protocol is a blood test 2 weeks after IUI and then another a few days later if the first is positive, and then potentially more depending on how things go.  

I am sorry you are having this experience with your OB's office.  Certainly advocate to get the care you deserve.  
    About me:
    /loss mentioned/
    TTC#1 July 2014
    dx: MFI (morphology)
    IUI #1 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Sept. 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #2 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Halloween 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #3 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Thanksgiving 2015 ~ BFP!!
    hb 146 bpm at 7w5d
    1/28/16 ~ began to say goodbye to our beautiful baby at 11w 
    d&c, followed by cytotec
    TTCAL April 2016
    IUI #4 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Apr. 2016 ~ BFN
    IUI #5 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ CP
    IUI#6 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ BFN
  • I didn't get a blood test either when I went to my OB and I remember giving urine at my first appointment but I don't know if they tested it. I went in early, 7 weeks, because of spotting for an early ultrasound. I took HPT and the first one was faint, second one darker, but one a week later was faint again and I went for the early appointment a couple of days after and everything was fine at that time. From what I gathered HPTs are only going to turn once the HCG is over a certain amount, they will not be darker when HCG is higher. Unfortunately mine ended in a miscarriage, that is why I am here, but that doesn't mean anything in regards to the HCG. I was also told about the 50% rate for miscarriage after they told me about my MMC. I think they say that to try to comfort you but it doesn't help. If it makes you feel better tell them you want a blood test, ultimately it is your choice and your body.
    Married: June 2011
    TTC #1: September 2015-January 2016
    BFP #1: 1/25/16 - MMC Diagnosed 3/22/16
    TTCAL: June 2016
    BFP #2: 8/26/16 - EDD 5/9/17
    Jackson born 5/6/17 at 8:36 PM - 9lbs 5oz & 21in
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @lilylover27 When you went in due to spotting, what color was it and how much? I have had light brown spotting for the last week, and it comes and goes. I don't have my first OB appointment until June 3, and was wondering if I should ask to go in earlier due to this... just in case.
    Me: 37 years old
    DH: 39 years old
    Married: October 17, 2014
    TTC Since: November 2015
    BFP: March 31, 2016
    DS: November 21, 2016

December'16 December Siggy Challenge: Elf on the Shelf Fails **winner**

• @kacie209 my spotting was light brown and my OB only put in my in for a sono to ease my mind. Like I said the spotting had nothing to do with my MC, at that first sono there was a heartbeat and everything was right on track. The MC happened later but was in no related to the spotting, my OB made sure to tell me that. Just call and see if they can get you in sooner, it is not good to be stressed while pregnant. I will keep my FX for you!
    Married: June 2011
    TTC #1: September 2015-January 2016
    BFP #1: 1/25/16 - MMC Diagnosed 3/22/16
    TTCAL: June 2016
    BFP #2: 8/26/16 - EDD 5/9/17
    Jackson born 5/6/17 at 8:36 PM - 9lbs 5oz & 21in
  • @lilylover27 Thanks for the information! I had made the call earlier this week when I decided on what OB/hospital to go with and don't know why I didn't mention it. But, I will definitely be calling to see if I can get in sooner if the spotting keeps up. It's very light and comes and goes, but it's odd. Sorry to hear your you m/c.
    Me: 37 years old
    DH: 39 years old
    Married: October 17, 2014
    TTC Since: November 2015
    BFP: March 31, 2016
    DS: November 21, 2016

December'16 December Siggy Challenge: Elf on the Shelf Fails **winner**

• ThePax89ThePax89 member
    edited April 2016
    So I have severe peeing on a stick obsessions. :) 

During my first loss, I took a hpt every day. My hcg was also being followed via blood tests. Initially they got darker, but started getting lighter. Once the line was nearly invisible, I started bleeding. The bleeding was clots, it wasn't spotting. 

Blood tests can detect an hcg level of <5. My current hcg level is a 2 (gathered from a blood test). The most sensitive hpt is frer, and it has been rumored to detect hcg levels as low as 6. The ones in the dr office are not sensitive at all. Sometimes they can detect an hcg level >50 or >100.

The main reason to have a blood test is to know whether or not your hcg is doubling. 

Im sorry that you are going through this. This must be a horrible time for you. The in between
    stage is miserable. 

• Thank you all so much. I did end up bleeding and now it's like a period. The ER Doctor told me I should expect bleeding from the miscarriage to last 24-48 hours, and that I would probably have a regular period next month, and that I can expect to ovulate in about 2 weeks.
    I hate to be so skeptical, but I haven't read anything about only bleeding for 1-2 days and thought the miscarriage kind of just transforms into a period? Maybe I am just misinformed, but does that sound right? This does feel like it will last quite a bit longer than what the dr said though. My blood measured an hCG level of 5 btw.
  • citygirl17citygirl17 member
    edited April 2016
    I'm very sorry for your loss.  I bled for 8 days with my miscarriage.  Everyone's experience is different and it depends on how far along you were.  But I would expect it to last a bit longer than just a day or two.

Baby #2 M/C 4/5/16
  • My bleeding lasted 14 days after my miscarriage at 5 weeks. I ovulated 10 days after the bleeding stopped and got pregnant that cycle.