December 2016 Moms
Options

Possible Chemical Pregnancy

Hi everyone. I've been trying to figure out the best place to post this and I hope this is it (I'm very sorry if it isn't).

I got my BFP 12DPO on 4/10. I tested with three different brands (Dollar Store, FRER, and Clearblue digital) - all positive. It was my first time getting a positive after over a year of trying.

I was worried I wasn't experiencing enough symptoms, and my breasts started to feel less sore, so I took another FRER today with FMU. It was a very faint positive. I got really worried as I assumed the line should have gotten darker over time.

I called the OBGYN's office and they saw me two hours after I took the test. I gave a urine sample there, and they told me it was negative. I asked if we could do a blood test and was told there would be no point, as a urine test is more accurate (I thought the opposite). I was just told miscarriages happen 50% of the time and to take this as a good sign. I've had no signs of spotting or bleeding, and was told to expect them any time within the next 4 weeks.

"Chemical pregnancy" wasn't mentioned but after looking into it, it appears to me that that could be what happened. I also read accounts of people saying HPTs are more sensitive than those at the doctor's office. I'm trying my best to be levelheaded about this, and would very much appreciate any insight, advice, stories of similar experiences. Should I insist further on a blood test? Should I just accept what I was told at the office?

Again, very sorry if this is inappropriate, and I wish everyone here a very healthy and happy pregnancy.

Re: Possible Chemical Pregnancy

• Options
    I am so sorry for what you are going through. The best place for this type of question is probably the miscarriage and loss board. Everyone there has experience with these type of issues and a lot of the ladies there have had chemical pregnancies. They are your best resource for answers on this topic. Hoping you find some good answers soon 
  • Options
    Thank you, I will try posting there. I was just worried it may have been inappropriate since I'm really just not sure yet if this is the end
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sorry you are going through the uncertainty of the situation. I am, too. 
  • Options
    @trufflies I hope it's not, and they are always more than gracious in offering advice or insight to people. They may have some reassuring news for you as well
  • Options
    @deeerfauxm Thank you, and I'm sorry you're also in a tough situation and I wish for the best outcome for you

@SnobunnieMel Thank you, I've already gotten some good advice there as per your recommendation 
  • Options
    I have been through this as well. There is a website full of stories of women who thought they were going to lose a baby or were told they were going to lose but then didn't. It is called the misdiagnosed miscarriage if you want to Google it. It helped me keep hope with my two losses and even after once I unfortunately lost them. I had a chemical pregnancy and a missed miscarriage at 6 weeks before this pregnancy. I was in the same boat too we've been trying for over two years. Best of luck to you, you are in my prayers.
  • Options
    I'm so sorry this is happening to you. No advice but wanted to say I'm sorry and I hope you get answers. 
    BabyFruit Ticker  
  • Options
    I'm so sorry you are in limbo right now. Sending many comforting T&Ps your way. I know how you feel. I would call and ask to have your betas run just to reassure the situation. Wishing you all the best! 

DH & I are both 28    Together: 12 years    Married: 09/24/2011

BFP#1: January '12 - DD1 09/16/2012

Preterm labor 31 weeks. Monitored for Hellp and diagnosed with oligohydramnios July '12

BFP #2: 06/25 - EDD 03/05/15 MMC confirmed 8/1 - D&E 8/4 retained tissue discovered 8/20

BFP #3 11/24 - 12/15 Heartbeat detected - DD2 07/29/15

• Options
    I don't have any different advice than what's already been offered, but I hope things work out for you and that you get answers. I'm sorry that it's been confusing and I'm sure difficult to deal with. Hugs!

June Siggy Challenge: Dad Fails

Married 7.28.2012
    DD born 7.27.2014
    BFP 09.2015 - m/c 10.21.2015
    BFP 4.12.2016...EDD: Christmas Eve 2016!

• Options
    lrg14lrg14 member
    I'm so sorry for what you are going through.  Unfortunately I have no advice, but I hope you get answers soon.
  • Options
    Thank you all so much, it really means a lot
  • Options
    I know how confusing this can be. I just had a chemical pregnancy. I created my account to join this board (EDD 12/11), only to have a miscarriage before I could post. In my case, I had 3 BFPs on 4/6. On 4/8, I started to (TMI alert) spot bright red blood. That continued throughout the weekend. I had positive tests 4/8 and 4/10 (neither with FMU). Monday (4/11) I essentially started my period. I had an appointment that day and the urine test was negative. They did a blood test and confirmed I was (formerly) pregnant, but my HCG levels were so low they said a follow up blood test was unnecessary. I personally would insist on a blood test, just to be sure. Can you try a different doctor? I still had a glimmer of hope until the heavy bleeding started. A concrete answer may help you move past it (if it is truly a loss). Being in limbo was the worst. Internet hugs to you. 
    Me: 36 DH: 36
    TTC #1 since September 2015
    *TW*
    BFP #1: CP, April 2016
    BFP #2: 10/5/16, MMC 11/3/16 at 7w5d (embryo stopped @ ~6 weeks), misoprostol 11/11/16 (EDD 6/16/17)
    Dx: Luteal phase defect, uterine polyps, stage 2 endometriosis, low morphology
    Uterine polyp removal (laparoscopy) 3/28/17
    BFP #3: 6/19/17, MMC 7/11/17 at 6w3d, misoprostol 7/17/17 (EDD 3/1/18)
    BFP #4: 8/25/17 EDD 5/4/18

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I can understand why this would be heartbreaking, I've been TTC for 2 years for our last child. But I would try your HPT again, just to be sure. A faint line is still a line, and it doesn't necessarily get darker as tests vary a lot. 
    With my second daughter, I spotted on and off from weeks 7-11. I was sure I was going to miscarry, but it didn't happen. 
    Though with a previous loss, I spotted for about a month before miscarriage. 

Either way, it's no fun to be in limbo. So keep your head up. I know this sounds weird, but once you get pregnant, even if it ends in miscarriage, it's easier to get pregnant again. After my miscarriage, I ended up concieving again within 2 months. 

Good luck, and keep us posted. Sending good vibes your way!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    I'm so sorry you are in limbo right now. That has got to suck. Sending good thoughts your way.