June 2016 Moms

Mom's boyfriend- Am I wrong?

My mom started dating a new guy 6-7 months ago. She lives 800 miles away and I haven't met this guy yet. He apparently wanted to come with her next weekend for my shower, but she told him it was a girls only event. Now she says he's coming for a few days of the days she is here when she comes up after the baby is born. I've never met this guy and just want my mom and my husband here. I'm not crazy for not wanting to meet and have him stay at my house right after I deliver, right? I told my husband and he said no way is he coming. I feel like this isn't the time to for us to meet him. I'm not really sure how I'm going to tell her no, as she doesn't take no too easily.
37 y/o
Married 9/1/13
Off OCP 3/1/14
TTC 6/1/14
DX Endometriosis in 2002
Laparoscopy 2002 and 2007
HSG 8/2014, right tube partially blocked
1st BFP 1/5/15 EDD 9/12/15- miscarried 1/8/15
BFP 10/5/15 EDD 6/17/16- delivered healthy girl 6/18/16
BFP 8/4/16 EDD 3/2/18- trisomy 18 girl- no heartbeat 8/25/17 at 13 weeks d&c 8/28/17
BFP 12/4/17 EDD 8/19/18

Re: Mom's boyfriend- Am I wrong?

• MsBeachNJ said:
    I don't think you're wrong at all for not wanting a stranger staying in your house when you bring your newborn home for the first time and are adjusting to how to care for yourself and a new baby. I would address the situation immediately and put a stop to that expectation. If he wants to come, they can stay in a hotel. 
    ^wss. I wouldn't be okay with that at all, either! 
    Me: 30 || DH: 32
    Married: May 3, 2014 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

SaveSave
  • Loading the player...
  • You are not wrong at all!

that would be a no go for me. There is no need to have anyone you are not comfortable with around. End of story. 
  • Oh hell no! Being in this big of a transition bringing a baby home and being a complete mess yourself, it's definitely not the time to have strangers around...I don't want anyone I'm not close to seeing Me or being in my house after giving birth! You definitely have to address it asap and if he has to come he would be staying in a hotel!hopefully mom will understand where your coming from! Keep us updated on what happens 
  • MsBeachNJ said:
    I don't think you're wrong at all for not wanting a stranger staying in your house when you bring your newborn home for the first time and are adjusting to how to care for yourself and a new baby. I would address the situation immediately and put a stop to that expectation. If he wants to come, they can stay in a hotel. 
    Exactly this

babysizercom pregnancy ticker

• Hell no! This isnt the right time to meet the boyfriend. Its about your baby and your family. Your mom is there to help. Her boyfriend will be a distraction. Just be honest with her, i cant imagine she wouldnt get it. She understood about your shower.  
  • Completely agree with OP.  There is no way I would want to be meeting someone new and having them experience all the firsts with your newborn.  If she insists, he can get a hotel and see you for an hour!
    TTC #1 Since May 2011 ~ Everyone Welcome
    Me (34): DOR d/t chemo/radiation, Immature Endometrial Lining, Hypothyroidism
    DH (35): MFI d/t testicular torsion and removal, Low T, Oligospermia, Anti-Sperm Antibodies, Currently on T supplements
    Sept '11-April '13 ~  Testing, failed multiple MFI treatments, saving & TONS of praying
    January 2014 ~ IVF/ICSI & PGS ~ no response to stims ~ converted to IUI ~ BFN
    February 2014 ~ On to donor embyros ~ 5 blasts!!! 
    March 2014 ~ FET #1 ~ Transferred 2 blasts ~ BFN
    July 2014 ~ Kliman's mock cycle with endometrial function test
    Sample too small for EFT, HE slide showed immature cells
    New protocol planned, saving for another biopsy for EFT
    January 2015 ~ Considering adoption options
    April 2015 ~ Privately arranged adoption of planned pregnancy
    DD#1 ~ Lillyana Violet Marie born 6/15/16, Finalized adoption 12/20/16
    July 13, 2018 ~ BFP....WTF?!?!
    7/16 Beta #1 ~ 466...7/18 Beta #2 ~ 1,077...7/23 Beta #3 ~ 5,291
    7/23 US #1 ~ 1 gestational sac seen and yolk sac
    7/30 US #2 and 1st OB appt ~ 1 perfectly round gestational sac, 1 perfect yolk sac and 1 teeny tiny heart beat seen!!!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Nope, nope nope. I would just be honest and tell her your going to be trying to heal from birth and learning to be a mommy just not a good time to meet a stranger and have him there at your house. Tell her maybe when the baby is a couple months old you can try to meet her or have them both back to visit the baby. Also tell her how you just need some time with her alone to make her feel better. GL
  • Nope, I wouldn't be OK with it at all. This is my third and I wouldn't want to meet someone new after giving birth. 

• Im in agreement with everyone else, this is a definite no. I realize its going to be awkward for you but you need to make it clear now that that isnt going to work for you. You can cite reasons such as.... Working on breastfeeding and wanting to feel comfortable doing that with the help of your mom and husband if needed without having a man you don't even know seeing you topless or you having to get up and go to a different room (especially if you end up with a c-section, i cant imagine up and down that often being fun).  Also wanting to feel comfortable talking about and dealing your vaginal bleeding situation and being able to ask your mother to go grab you some pads or something out of the freezer to help with it. Things of that nature are pretty damn good reasons if you feel like "stranger in your house'' isn't enough of a reason. I know SHE wants him there, but SHE isnt going to be giving birth, and she already had her baby and what she wanted during that time.
  • I wouldn't even be ok with him staying in a hotel and stopping in to meet you guys! The first weeks after having a baby should be excluded to only those you feel comfortable around. You don't know if you'll be dealing with PPD, which will up the stress of having visitors, especially one you don't know. 

Im sure your mom will understand! As excited as she is for you to meet him, she'll get why you want to push off the visit for a while. 

I'm sorry you have to worry about this. I've already had to push off people wanting to visit asap after baby is born and it sucks. 
  • I totally understand why you wouldn't want him there and I think your feelings are completely justified.  I would tell your mom maybe later this summer he can come but you want private time with your family and don't want to have your first meeting with him being right after delivery.  I was exhausted and didn't want to be entertaining even my family(not my mom but more extended family) after my first, so it is completely reasonable to not want to do this with  a new guy she is dating.
  • That's a hard no! No negotiations, No staying at a hotel and coming to visit. This is  special time for you and your family and this guy isn't a part of it. She can go a few days without seeing him. I believe this is your first, you will want her, not him and tell her that
    Pregnancy Ticker