April 2016 Moms

Cytotec?

I'm four doses in, which means 16 hours in, to an induction with cytotec to prep my cervix. They don't want to begin Pitocin until I'm at least 3cm or my water breaks. I've been closed this whole time. Next option is a c-section :-/ 

Can anybody share their own experiences with cytotec? Google is scary.

Re: Cytotec?

• This is weird to me. I was induced with both of my daughters and I was just started on pit. My first I wasn't dialated at all and my second I was at a 2 when we started pit. Both were long (my first 34 hours and second 12 hours) but I had successful vaginal deliveries. 
  • I had cervidil with my first... I think it's just different hormones... they put it in and were planning to start pitocin the next morning. My water broke and I went into labor on my own that night.
    Amanda

Nov siggy challenge: animals eating Thanksgiving food

BabyFruit Ticker
    Rhys - born 04.17.2013
    Harry - born 04.18.2016
  • Loading the player...
  • jasmuin said:
    This is weird to me. I was induced with both of my daughters and I was just started on pit. My first I wasn't dialated at all and my second I was at a 2 when we started pit. Both were long (my first 34 hours and second 12 hours) but I had successful vaginal deliveries. 
    I have heard of this too and I keep asking, but my doctor is resistant to "the things I read on the Internet". I am now on 20 hours and it feels like I'm being put through it unnecessarily when others go right to Pitocin without being dilated.
  • I was given cytotec 4x too prior to starting pit. I was only 1 cm dilated when I was induced. They gave me the balloon along with my first dose and told me when it fell out id be 4cm. Well it fell out an hr later and the nurses let me sleep assuming it was working. When I was checked in the morning I was only at 1 1/2cm.

my progress was slow with it but it did help after awhile. It was the epidural that put my body in shock and almost caused me to have a C- section due to DD heartrate dropping and my BP plummeting.
  • I had cytotec and cervadil after my water broke prematurely. They didn't really do anything. After a day and a half, they tried pit. Like the pp, I had a major bp drop after the epi and they ended up doing a c/s. Never made it past 2cm.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Not good signs. I have been on the Cytotec now 20 hours with no progression. The nurse just came in and said I can have Cervadil next for another 12, but that the drug is the same active ingredient. I asked if we can make the jump immediately to Pitocin instead, and she came back and said the doctor wants to discuss that with me before its introduced. Then she had me scrub my stomach "just in case" of a c-section. I feel like they have given up on me too, at this point.
  • I'm the other side of the argument. I was started on pit right away with my first. My cervix wasn't soft nor open and I was mad the doc that day didn't ripen it before starting pit as was the plan. After close to 48hrs with no progression on pit I was considered a failed induction and they decided on a c/s. I will always wonder if I would have had a better chance at a vaginal delivery if I had had cytotec or cervadil before pit. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had it overnight. I'd done 14 hours of pitocin and a foley bulb at that point but I had only progressed from 2 to 4 cm. After a few doses overnight I started the next day at 6 cm and my labor started to go naturally. No more pitocin. I was 6 cm at about 7 am. They broke my water at 11:30 a and I was holding my baby by 12:02. My induction was 30 total hours but the end went smoothly.
  • @Missingchampagne
    How are you doing? Any update? 
  • I'm a few days late to this party... But I'm 17 hours into my induction and thought I'd share..

im 41+4 with baby #2... Checked in last night and had two rounds of cytotec. Was 2 cm, 60% effaced around 9:40 am and started pit.

So far having contractions every 2-5 minutes, but nothing resembling real labor yet, hoping something picks up here this afternoon...
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In the end, I ended up with a whopping FIVE rounds of cytotec (20 hours) and then they suggested Cervadil (same hormone, slightly different application though still a cervical suppository). That was another 12 hours. 32 hours into my induction and I still did not dilate, and I came to peace with my decision to have a c-section... 
  • I was in a similar situation being completely closed and started on cytotec due to high BP. I took 4 doses and was about 1.5cm at thst point, although my water did break during thr last dose. They then started me on pit, but after being stuck at 4cm for over 6 hours, they said my cervix and baby's head was swelling and we ended up in a c section. Definitely not how anything was planned.