Two Under 2
Options

Preparing for the second

karlimonsterkarlimonster member
edited April 2016 in Two Under 2
Hey everyone. My son will be 18 months when his sibling arrives in late August and I'm wondering if there is any prep work you guys did for your first/oldest. I don't think he will comprehend much, but I was thinking of getting him a baby and talking about it more once I am bigger.

Also, I will have a c-section scheduled (and be hoping for a VBAC). I am thinking of trying to teach him how to climb into the car (with a step stool) and putting him in a toddler bed. Anyone have any tips on their experience transitioning their kids to a toddler bed? Tips on dealing with a 2nd while recovering from a c-section?

My son will continue to go to daycare 4 days a week (gotta pay to keep the spot, so he'll be going), which will really cut down on the chaos. However, it will most likely be up to me to get him in the car and do drop off/pick up. 

Thanks in advance! :)

Re: Preparing for the second

• Options
    I don't really have advice, as I'm still awaiting my second. They will be 22 months apart. We got her a baby doll and show her how to hold and love it. She adores her baby. We also bought a book called I'm a Big Sister! They have the same I believe for a brother. We are hoping to move to the toddler bed this month. She's almost 19 months now and pretty verbal so I've started talking to her about having a baby at our house. We talk a lot about being a helper and a big girl too.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    You have great ideas with doll.

Mine are 24 mos apart. 

I wouldn't switch out of crib yet. Just get a 2nd. 

Mine doesn't get in car. I do it. Both are still rear facing (hopefully until at least 4 years old) so I think that would be hard. Unless you need child to because of your belly?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You have great ideas with doll.

Mine are 24 mos apart. 

I wouldn't switch out of crib yet. Just get a 2nd. 

Mine doesn't get in car. I do it. Both are still rear facing (hopefully until at least 4 years old) so I think that would be hard. Unless you need child to because of your belly?
    I'm planning a c-section (my worst case scenario) so I'm trying to think of ways to not over exert myself. First time was easy, but I remember them saying baby in the car seat was the most I could lift. 
  • Options
    I think deciding whether to get a second crib or not depends on the child and the parents. A few girls in my family (including me) were moved out of the crib before 1.5 and did fine. I do think girls tend to be easier and more mature in general though. If you want to do it, I say go for it. Just be ready to get up at night and be consistent about putting him right back in bed and telling him he needs to stay. If you plan to use a bassinet or pack n play, you could wait until after baby comes, but then you might have two kids waking you up at night, so I'd be inclined to get it over with. We plan to move DD to a toddler bed this month and she is 19 months. Baby is expected in July. We are hoping to have her well adjusted before then and not have her think the baby is taking anything away from her.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DD is expected in July. DS will be about 17.5 months. He is sleeping on a twin mattress on the floor now. We transitioned him at about 13 months. He can't reach the door handle and sometimes moves to the door when he wakes but his room has not toys and is baby proofed so he can't get into trouble. It's worked really well for us so far. Mostly we just didn't want to have to buy an extra crib he would grow out of. It's been about a month now and he just falls straight to sleep. We will get him a bed gram probably after DD is born so he can have more practice gettin in and out of bed. I don't want him hurting himself.