July 2016 Moms

STMs not ready?

2»

Re: STMs not ready?

• We ordered a crib and dresser! Lol woohoo! I'm emotionally feeling not ready. Ive been having some mom guilt about bringing a second baby into the world already as ds will only be 12 months when LO is born. I know that we will be fine and it's going to be great in the long run to have 2 little boys so close in age but I just can't help but feel that my time with ds is coming to an end. We have the best relationship and bond and I just hope bringing a newborn into the situation won't change that!   I have a twin sister who is my best friend so I just keep reminding myself that we never had alone time with mom and always had each other and I hope the same for these boys! 
    Ugh pregnancy hormones!!! Lol 
  • My son will be 3 in June. He moved out of his crib before he was 2, so all of his furniture was already packed in the garage. Last time, we moved into this house on June 12th and I went into labor on the 19th. We had to do the world's fastest nursery (which turned out great). I was so upset last time because I wanted to nest and prepare, but couldn't. This time, I am taking the time that I want on the nursery and enjoying the process. It is painted, crib is in, clothes are in the dresser. I'm starting to organize things and see if there is anything else that I need. I guess I'm just getting the experience that I wanted last time!
  • Loading the player...
  • @DobbysSock Our son is 2.5 now and someone had generously gave their old toddler bed. We set it up in his room (with his crib still in there) and decided to let him make the call. It's been in his room for about two months and all of the sudden he wanted to sleep in the big kid bed last week; hasn't asked to sleep in his crib since. Maybe just get the twin bed and see how she reacts?

"The cleaning, the scrubbing will wait til tomorrow,
    For children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
    So, quiet down cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
    I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep."
  • We have moved my son into his big boy room about a month ago...he suprisingly loved it and had no issues at all.. he still says my big boy bed...   Other than that Ive bought a few summer outfits and last weekend target had diaper sale so I bought a few boxes of  diapers.. that made me feel a little more prepared.  Ive bought a few things to hang on the walls to change up the room a little.. since we are having another boy we dont need much but we still need some basics. We had thrown away some stuff like our bottle drying rack and warmer bc htey just got nasty and werent worth saving.
  • @DobbysSock - In the exact same situation - DD will be 2.5 when the baby comes. We did decide to move her to the bed because, as @whataboutscience said, I'm afraid to do it after the baby comes or create any kind of jealousy. She sleeps so great in her crib and I'm terrified that we're going to mess up a good thing by moving her.

Wish us luck - the plan is to transition this weekend. I'm so nervous. :anguished: 

July '16 May Siggy Challenge 

BabyFetus Ticker
    Me: 29
    DH: 32
    Married: June 2011
    DD #1: December 2013
    DD #2: EDD July 2016
  • My DS is 2.5 and still sleeps happily in a crib. I  have no intention of moving him out of there at this time. His crib actually converts to a toddler bed and twin-size bed so I ended up buying another convertible crib for LO for only $150.  We also just got the dresser in the mail yesterday so we will be putting it together this weekend.  And I just got my Boba carrier!  So the only major thing left to buy is the double stroller, which I'm not even sure if I even want yet. So I guess I'm actually more prepared than I thought!  If I only I were as mentally ready for another baby to come. . .
  • @givemepenguinss - That bed is adorable! Did you buy a regular twin mattress for it or a crib-sized mattress?

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I'm a FTM and I have a diaper bag, a couple boxes of bottles and some diapers that were gifted to us. And a box of hand me down clothes I need to go through. Don't feel too bad :)
  • I am by no means ready.  a friend just gave me a car seat... one that was his spare and looks brand new.  i was excited to get it but now when i drive i keep staring at it saying "this is only the beginning"
    and cue the anxiety.  ;)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am by no means ready.  a friend just gave me a car seat... one that was his spare and looks brand new.  i was excited to get it but now when i drive i keep staring at it saying "this is only the beginning"
    and cue the anxiety.  ;)
    Speaking of..I have no idea when to install ours. It seems a little early to do it now and god forbid I get into an accident and have to buy a brand new one. 
  • samantha1206samantha1206 member
    edited April 2016
    @ButterMyBiscuit with my first, it just kind of rode around in our car.  DH literally didn't install it until the morning after I delivered.   Good thing he knew how
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am technically a stm (DS is adopted) and I am just as not prepared for her as I as for him! lol!  We got rid of almost all baby stuff, because we had planned on adopting an older child on the next go around.  So with moving and everything I am so very behind.  The only thing I have bought for her is her outfit to come home from the hospital in.
    July Siggy Challenge

BabyName Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @ButterMyBiscuit I think you've got time. Heaven forbid LO was born soon, you would most likely have NICU time and wouldn't be bringing her straight home. My thought is 37 weeks or so, then you are most likely to bring them home vs NICU stay.
    Also, what positions are stm+ putting their car seats? Middle is the safest, but there is only one middle seat! Do you put one on each side,or one in middle and one on a side?
  • @sparkysunshine 37 seems reasonable. My son was born right at 37 weeks and even if this one came unexpectedly, my husband could go back and get the seat before we're discharged.

I plan to put a seat on each side. I don't know how else they'll fit.
  • MrsRo731 said:
    @givemepenguinss - That bed is adorable! Did you buy a regular twin mattress for it or a crib-sized mattress?
    We really like it! When it's the shortest length, the decorations on the sides sort of act as a side rail, but there's still room for her to get in and out independently. 

Ikea has a mattress for this bed that has extenders, too: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40155090/

So, the bed is twin width, while being crib length. I think it's a nice transition for her.
  • @sparkysunshine I'm going to have to put one car seat on each side because they wouldn't fit next to each other.

I'm ready enough I think. The baby will sleep in our room for the first few months, so I'm trying not to stress about the nursery too much. I'm more worried about DD being ready. When DH rubs my belly and talks to baby, DD says "buh bye baby" and pulls down my shirt. She does not like sharing attention.
  • @DobbysSock my daughter will be 2.5 when DS is due... I'm waiting.  She sleeps great in her crib.  Ahhh stress. ..

@mrsro731 let us know how it goes!!!!!!
  • Just got the mattress and new sheets on DD's toddler bed and she was begging to sleep in it for nap, so we tried it. She tends to talk and play in her crib for a while before she falls asleep, which I thought might translate to her getting up and playing. I made a big deal about having to lay down and sleep. I covered her and hid around the corner. She was asleep in 3 minutes! We still need a gate upstairs before we brave overnight, but she is very excited for her new bed. I'm sure sometime she'll try getting up, but I'm happy with our good start.

Pretty sure our car seats won't fit with one in the middle, so we'll be doing one on each side. DD has been in the middle until now. We'll probably put the seat in the car around 36 weeks. Good point about the NICU with preemies and also worrying about getting in an accident before baby even gets here. I didn't think of either of those points. Not that I feel rushed. I'm still convinced this will be another late baby. The joke will be on me if it comes early and I'm not ready!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Hooray! Sounds like a great start, @whataboutscience
  • @DobbysSock Our DD is in the same boat as far as sleeping, but we've decided to move her early so she doesn't think baby is stealing her stuff. Plus, with a SIDS death in DH's family, we always put baby in a crib to sleep. Nothing else feels safe enough to us. DD's only 19 months, but the girls in our family have all moved out of cribs earlier. I figure we'll manage and I'd rather get it over with. We're doing a toddler bed though since she's so little still.
    @whataboutscience this is exactly what I'm struggling with. I don't want to cause jealousy issues or have a difficult transition with DD while also sleep deprived from a newborn, but bedtime is sooo easy right now so I'm conflicted about messing with that.

I'm so sorry your DH has had those losses in his family - I can't imagine the devastation. I can understand why you'd feel nervous about sleeping arrangements when you've had that kind of loss hit so close to home.

Cosmic+Love said:

@DobbysSock Our son is 2.5 now and someone had generously gave their old toddler bed. We set it up in his room (with his crib still in there) and decided to let him make the call. It's been in his room for about two months and all of the sudden he wanted to sleep in the big kid bed last week; hasn't asked to sleep in his crib since. Maybe just get the twin bed and see how she reacts?

@Cosmic+Love we actually already have the twin bed in there. She calls it her bed but has showed zero interest in sleeping in it so far!

• MrsRo731 said:
    @DobbysSock - In the exact same situation - DD will be 2.5 when the baby comes. We did decide to move her to the bed because, as @whataboutscience said, I'm afraid to do it after the baby comes or create any kind of jealousy. She sleeps so great in her crib and I'm terrified that we're going to mess up a good thing by moving her.

Wish us luck - the plan is to transition this weekend. I'm so nervous. :anguished: 
    @MrsRo731 I'll let you test it out and tell me how it goes so I can learn from your successes/mistakes ;) haha

My SIL says exactly that - that I don't want to deal with jealousy of DD being moved FOR the baby, as opposed to being moved because she's a big girl and then the baby happens to use her old crib. She also said the potential for a difficult transition (like my nephew) would be absolutely MISERABLE while also sleep deprived from a newborn. My mom on the other hand tells me not to mess with what's working and let DD show/tell me when she's ready. I have no idea what the right thing is.
  • Ahhh this thread is giving me bed transition anxiety :).  
  • @whataboutscience - Yay, awesome! I'm happy for you!

I'm having a similar experience; I was terrified of moving DD to her new room/bed but she has done great. She does cry a little bit after we leave her room and say goodnight, but I'm pretty sure that's just because she doesn't want to sleep and would rather play. She has slept through the night every night so far and taken great naps. She wakes up and just lays in bed and talks to herself, too. I was expecting the worse and have been pleasantly surprised. I feel so much more ready now that we have this taken care of.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Feel like I should at least try to finish the baby books for DS (2.5) BEFORE our second child is born. Ugh I'm hopeless with those types of things!
  • Im a 4th time mom and i feel im cutting it close. I do have a crib but i need to purchase a new mattress and bedding. I also need to purchase a mattress and bed for my 2 year old. I think im going to do this the first week in may. I need to purchase baby clothes etc. My sil is going to give me some clothing so i want to see what she has first before i do. I think no matter how many children i have towards the end feels like time is running out. I have so many emotions. 
  • @rnyland1 I was just working on the baby books today actually. DD's had been sitting in my closet for months with a list of things to add to it. DD's is caught up now and I got a few things started for baby.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker