Breastfeeding

Night weaning

Hi! I am thinking about night weaning, hoping maybe it will help him sleep better. Right now he wakes up about every 1-2.5 hours all night he doesn't nurse every time he wakes but probably about 4 times a night or so. I wondering if night weaning would help him get out of this so we can both get more sleep. What have your experiences been with night weaning? Advice? He is 12m old next week. 

Re: Night weaning

• I would love advice on this as well. My son turned 1 a couple days ago and still wakes up to nurse 1-2 times a night. He is also still cosleeping in our bed- I would like to transition him into a crib in his own room.
  • I have not night weaned...but I do have two friends who night weaned a baby in the last year. One was 18 months and still wakes about two tines at night requesting help to fall back asleep as a 2 year old. The other was 15? months and immediately started sttn. The outcome really seems to depend on the kid. 

Maybe moving him to his own room would actually help him to wake and nurse less. Have you experimented with a mattress on the floor to give him his own space?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We try and night wean by about 6 or so months. I know everyone is different and has different opinions but that's what works for us. Usually by that time my boys only wake once or twice a night anyways.... how we did it was very gentle but effective 

First... if baby is in your room or bed he can smell you. Yep..... can smell the milk. We have rooms for all of our boys and make sure they are in their own rooms with their own cribs by about 4-5 months. When they wake I go to them to nurse and snuggle and rock and put them back down.  Once they cut themselves down to 1-2 feedings a night my hubby goes instead of me. He rocks and snuggles and typically they go right back to sleep. It takes us about 2 weels is all. Now.... sometimes they truly are hungry and he'll get me to feed them but he puts them back to bed so they continue with the routine. 

Baby #5 coming in a few weeks and I hope he's as easy as his big Brothers:)
  • MamaRoni said:
    We try and night wean by about 6 or so months. I know everyone is different and has different opinions but that's what works for us. Usually by that time my boys only wake once or twice a night anyways.... how we did it was very gentle but effective 

First... if baby is in your room or bed he can smell you. Yep..... can smell the milk. We have rooms for all of our boys and make sure they are in their own rooms with their own cribs by about 4-5 months. When they wake I go to them to nurse and snuggle and rock and put them back down.  Once they cut themselves down to 1-2 feedings a night my hubby goes instead of me. He rocks and snuggles and typically they go right back to sleep. It takes us about 2 weels is all. Now.... sometimes they truly are hungry and he'll get me to feed them but he puts them back to bed so they continue with the routine. 

Baby #5 coming in a few weeks and I hope he's as easy as his big Brothers:)
    Just food for tight for other readers, the general recommendation is to keep your baby in your room until 6 months because of sids. Obviously by kid five you know what you are doing, so I'm not trying to tell you to do anything different! This is more a note for other readers. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My pediatrician said I could have done it at 6 months, we didn't realize and did it about 9 months. So happy we did and he adjusted quickly.