June 2016 Moms

Caffine addiction!!

2»

Re: Caffine addiction!!

• I drink coffee each morning (I switched to half caf so I don't go over my limit for the day) and then drink ice water with lemon or lime or decaf ice tea for the rest of the day.  Now that it's warmer, I've been drinking big glasses of the Tazo passion tea like they have at Starbucks, though I usually just make it at home.  I am fine with drinking unsweetened tea, so it just adds some flavor to get a change from water.  I can't actually drink sugar at all so I sometimes will have crystal light or a diet soda.  When I'm nauseous, coke zero works best to settle my stomach and I willing to drink some artificial sweetener to avoid puking on myself at work or in the car.  I did ginger ale 10 as well this pregnancy.  Since I don't drink it every day, I don't worry about it and my doctor is on board with not worrying about things as long as I drink healthier options the majority of the time.
  • I drink one green mountain half caff k cup in the morning then mostly water for the rest of the day sometimes i have a second half caff cup of coffee in afternoon or some hot or ice tea after lunch time. I didn't drink coffee until I hit 30 weeks. I gave it up when I found out I was pregnant because before I was pregnant I was a caffiene addict drinking 4+ cups a day :worried:. So I quit cold turkey when I found out but lately i've been so tired I need an extra kick to start my mornings.
    Daisypath - nBGk

Lilypie - GQnA

• Loading the player...
  • I drink way too much caffeine still. Coffee every morning and a coke (never drank much before pregnancy BTW) in the afternoon during the week. On weekends it might be coffee and 2-3 cokes or tea a day. I also drink a ton of water throughout the day, 80-100 ozs. so I dont feel too horrible about my caffeine intake. At 29 weeks it is what it is.  
  • I just do a half caff coffee in the mornings. If I skip it, I get a headache :/ 
  • CourtJack said:

Just my two cents - my dietician reviewed artificial sweetener use when I had my gestational diabetes class. She said it's a misunderstood subject, but that there are two safe artificial sweeteners to use: Aspartame and sucralose. ie/ splenda and equal. But the kinds that are not safe are sweet and how (pink package) and sugar twin (yellow). She said up to five servings a day of splenda is absolutely fine. I put some in my coffee and on my greek yogurt.

I drink diet pepsi from time to time, but I've mostly converted to Perrier. Mmmmmm, Perrier.

Splenda also comes in a yellow package.  Sugar Twin is Saccharine which is the same thing as Sweet N Low.  
    Just wanted to clarify.  

Sorry my my husband does sweetner research so I know more about sweetners than I should.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickers 
  • I suck at water intake...always have.  I've tried adding those flavor drops, but it lasts about a week and then I can't stand them anymore.  During the first tri I was super sick and just the thought of water would make me gag, so I drank a lot of gatorade and some ginger ale.  Today I've had a couple drinks of water and a chai latte.  I don't usually drink soda, but like a lot of PPs I crave it while pregnant for some reason, we don't keep it in the house but if we go out I've been ordering one a lot lately. 
    But now that I've read this post, I'm going to fill up my 24 oz water bottle with ice water and start drinking!  I always feel better when I'm hydrated, but I can never seem to stick with it. 
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

• @mamabird24 I don't have very good luck with the flavor drops, I get sick of them, but I do way better with actual slices of fruit (usually lemon or lime) in water with lots of ice.  In the summer when fruit is cheaper I'll do melon or mint too, but there's something about the chemical taste of the drops that doesn't work well for me and plain water when my stomach is touchy, which for me is any time I am pregnant, tends to make me nauseous but the fruit helps that too. 
  • alitria said:
    @mamabird24 I don't have very good luck with the flavor drops, I get sick of them, but I do way better with actual slices of fruit (usually lemon or lime) in water with lots of ice.  In the summer when fruit is cheaper I'll do melon or mint too, but there's something about the chemical taste of the drops that doesn't work well for me and plain water when my stomach is touchy, which for me is any time I am pregnant, tends to make me nauseous but the fruit helps that too. 
    I've almost finished my first bottle, just plain I've water. So I think I'll slice up some strawberries and put those in, maybe with a splash of lemon juice. The drops always seem like a good idea when I see them and think maybe this time I'll like them, but I never do lol 
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

• Hi, my name is Kari and I'm addicted to caffeine! Since the day I found out I was pregnant I knew I needed to cut back. I was drinking ice tea (unsweetened) like it was going out of style! We're talking 2 large iced teas from morning until afternoon; then probably two more in the evening. I was having difficulty with water at the time. I have cut down to one large ice tea each morning (helps get me going at work) but that's it. Sometimes on the weekend I might have two large iced teas, but that is splurging. I now drink water most of the day and always, ALWAYS have to have a glass of milk now before bed. WITH ice in it I might add. (Some weird pregnancy thing I suppose) lol.
    I drink milk with ice in it too!!!! My husband thinks I'm crazy lol
    DH - 24; Me: 26
    Married 3/7/15
    Expecting Baby #1: 06/06/2016
    BabyFruit Ticker

• This might be a tough one for you water-haters, but about a month ago I started drinking a gallon of water a day. Yes. A gallon.
    I fill up a big Poland Spring jug and keep it at my desk, and just keep refilling my cup as the day goes. I know if by 2pm I'm not halfway through I have to step it up. I was skeptical at first but it has literally changed me. My skin looks awesome, I feel great, and get really, really, thirsty on the weekends when I'm thankfully not at my desk and don't have my gallon. It's awesome you guys.
  • I shoot for at least 64-96 oz of water a day. H fills up a pitcher of water every morning for me lol.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I know I need to drink more water and what I did drink waa a big step up for me.. but do you guys not live in the bathroom?? With what I already drink I spend so much time going to the bathroom even all thru the night. If I drink a gallon of water a day im going go need a diaper! 
  • I know I need to drink more water and what I did drink waa a big step up for me.. but do you guys not live in the bathroom?? With what I already drink I spend so much time going to the bathroom even all thru the night. If I drink a gallon of water a day im going go need a diaper! 
    LOL please reference https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12670771/anyone-else-have-to-pee-every-single-time-they-move#latest 
    TTM - EDD 4/23 - Team Green <3 
  • @ashleygray89 I feel like I already lived in the bathroom with this baby kicking around. But I found that for the first week or so of drinking the gallon a day I was literally peeing every 20 minutes, but then my body got used to it and now it's a little less intense. I think it takes time to adjust, but I definitely pee more now either way!
  • How I get through the monotony of 4752965 bottles of water a day!
     (On Friday I treat myself to a Starbucks Iced Chai..... & the occasional Coke Zero to keep me sane)
  • Maybe a silly tip/one thst won't work for everyone, but I find I am able to drink more water when I use a straw.  So on the days I have a waterbottle with a straw incorporated, I drink more water than the days when I just have a tumbler.
  • Hey I bet that is tasty!
  • Sparkling water all the way. We have a SodaStream at home, and that was the only way I could choke down water during the worst of my morning sickness. I like to buy Arrowhead flavored sparkling waters for work -- no sweeteners, just fruit flavor. Watermelon lime is my go-to. When my reflux gets really bad, I tend to stop drinking anything since everything hurts, so at some point my husband will usually stand over me and make me drink a Gatorade.

I don't get too worked up over caffeine during pregnancy, though. I have not eliminated coffee from my routine, although if I feel the need for a third cup, I will usually switch to decaf. I'm far more leery about artificial sweeteners. When I'm not pregnant I'll have a Diet Coke from time to time, but if I'm going to have a soda when I'm pregnant, I want one with nutritive sweeteners, preferably cane sugar. I know there are nonnutritive sweeteners the FDA considers safe for use in moderation during pregnancy, but I'm not sold on the FDA's track record. 
    CafeMom Tickers

BabyFruit Ticker