Breastfeeding

Breast Cramps

LO Is 6 1/2 weeks old and I have been exclusively pumping since she was about 8 or 9 days old due to severe nipple damage. Since I was finally healed up I decided to try putting her back to breast a few days ago and she hasn't had a bottle since. She still doesn't latch all that great most of the time, but it's definitely better than before. After nursing her my breasts have been cramping. The right side cramps more than the left. This morning it hurt pretty bad. Anyone know what would be causing this? 
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Breast Cramps

• I wonder if you're experiencing vasospasms. It could be caused by her latch. I'd see an IBCLC and have them check LO for a lip or tongue tie. That can cause a bad latch and pain for Mom. It can also effect your milk supply if LO isn't able to adequately transfer milk from the breast. 

Here are some links from Kellymom that may be helpful:

https://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/nipple-blanching/

https://kellymom.com/hot-topics/sore-nipples-breasts/

https://kellymom.com/ages/newborn/bf-basics/latch-resources/
    someecardscom - Im well on my way to getting absolutely nothing done today
    DD1: allergic to eggs & dairy Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    c/p 4/1/11

DD2: milk and soy protein intolerant, allergic to eggs, soy, peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, bananasBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MSPI Moms Check-In Blog
  • I had vasospasms from temperature changes. Like Raynaud's. Try keeping your breasts warm. Cover with your hand as soon as LO detaches. Use a heating pad, lady down briefly agent nursing to encourage blood flow, and avoid air drying. Upping my vitamin b intake, per my doctors suggestion, also really helped. She also prescribed me a compounded nipple cream that made a HUGE difference. 
    Feb '16 October Siggy Challenge: Favorite Candy

• Loading the player...
  • She had her lip tie revised when she was a week old, but we are still working on her latch. Temp seems to affect me. Cold hurts for sure. I'm gonna have to talk to my dr about the vasospasms. That seems to be the best answer for what I have going on. It also makes me wonder if I ever had thrush to begin with. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • She had her lip tie revised when she was a week old, but we are still working on her latch. Temp seems to affect me. Cold hurts for sure. I'm gonna have to talk to my dr about the vasospasms. That seems to be the best answer for what I have going on. It also makes me wonder if I ever had thrush to begin with. 
    I actually went to my doctor telling her I thought I had thrush. After checking both baby and I over she told me that the vasospasms are frequently misdiagnosed as thrush. Definitely worth a visit! With the prescription ointment I felt way better nursing within just a few days. I still react to major temp changes sometimes, but opted not to take the blood pressure meds that are supposed to help with that. So long as nursing is comfortable, I'm happy!
    Feb '16 October Siggy Challenge: Favorite Candy

• 4N6s4N6s member
    To save your nipples, try a nipple shield. Mine have never cracked or bled and I don't seem to have to use nipple cream. 
    Good luck.