Baby Names
Options

Aram?

It's a family name for us, and would love to get a sense of what your thoughts are on it. TIA!
TTC #2
BFP 3/28/16 (EDD 12/9/16) * Chemical pregnancy
ME: 40 yrs.old
DH: 41 yrs.old
DD: 5 yrs.

Re: Aram?

• Options
    I kept thinking i  was reading AN-arm
  • Options
    It's nms and I think people would constantly confuse it with Erin/Aaron unless I'm pronouncing it wrong.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since September 2012
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's a popular game mode in League of Legends  (All Random All Mid). 

There isn’t anything wrong with it though. 
  • Options
    Part of me wants to say "A-ram-rod". The other part of me thinks that someone forgot to add the "b" in Abram.
  • Options
    I think this is the name of the tech guy on the show the Blacklist. But not a bad connection at all. I think it would get mispronounced a bit, but it's a nice enough name.
    My furchildren, Dorothy and Johnny :)
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!
    TTC #2

• Options
    I actually really like it :) I've never heard it before and really like the way it sounds. 
  • Options
    Eko14Eko14 member
    How would you pronounce this name? I have never heard/read it before. Any background info on it?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker} Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • Options
    vilarovilaro member
    edited April 2016
    Aram, pronounced AH-rom, is a popular Armenian name that means “high; quiet”. The name is derived from the biblical Aram, a grandson of Noah. 

Thanks, everyone. This is helpful.
    TTC #2

• Options
    My cousin is named Aram, his family is Armenian, and it doesn't seem like he's ever had issues with people mispronouncing it. I like it. 
  • Options
    ...sandwich. 

But if it's ethnic and a family name I get it. I just know that it's a very common food in this neck of the US and would be what I thought if I saw it written down. 
  • Options
    Interesting! I didn't know and I just looked it up under sandwich. LOL. Always good to know when considering,
    so thank you!
    TTC #2

• Options
    My first thought was an aram sandwich. It's not bad, but it may get a lot of mispronunciations. Maybe middle name it?
  • Options
    Eko14Eko14 member
    vilaro said:
    Aram, pronounced AH-rom, is a popular Armenian name that means “high; quiet”. The name is derived from the biblical Aram, a grandson of Noah. 

Thanks, everyone. This is helpful.
    In that case I like it. (American sandwich or not)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker} Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • Options
    I don't mind the name, but I think it would be better spelled Ahram if that is how it is pronounced. I think it actually looks better and those of us not of Armenian heritage would know how to pronounce it then. I hope that helps. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    The name is nice and I love that it has cultural/family significance. I've never heard of the sandwich. 
  • Options
    I love Aram! Never heard of the sandwich, and I'm in the US, so it must be a regional thing.
  • Options
    I also thought sandwich first. Not bad if it is cultural for you, though. My first pronunciation guess would be like Aaron, but with an M at the end.
  • Options
    tmk0325 said:
    I don't mind the name, but I think it would be better spelled Ahram if that is how it is pronounced. I think it actually looks better and those of us not of Armenian heritage would know how to pronounce it then. I hope that helps. 

You don't change the spelling of a name because of how its pronounced. The name is what it is. All names come from some heritage and if you don't know it, you learn the pronunciation the first time you hear it.
  • Options
    I know an Aram (not well) and I always assumed it was pronounced "a-rahm" or "air-ahm" I think it's a nice name but pronunciation could be an issue. never heard of the sandwich.
  • Options
    dfo3612 said:
    tmk0325 said:

You don't change the spelling of a name because of how its pronounced. The name is what it is. All names come from some heritage and if you don't know it, you learn the pronunciation the first time you hear it.
    This this this this this.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    There is also an Aram in the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. That's what I thought of immediately. Considering my own son is named after a character in that series, I wouldn't side-eye this name. But my perspective is... different because of that. If we met IRL I would ask where you got the name from, tho (wondering if it was from the books)
  • Options
    I like it. I have never heard of the sandwich.
  • Options
    I definitely would have pronounced it incorrectly. If having to correct people on pronunciation doesn't bother you then I think it's perfectly fine.