Baby Showers
Options

Celebrating in the USA but living in France

Hey girls,
Loking for some suggestions as far as a baby registry goes. I am going to have a baby shower in California, but I live in France. Therefore, if anyone was to bring me anything it would need to be on the light side because I'd be bringing it back home in my luggage. Anybody have any suggestions on how to make gift giving more accessible for my friends and family? Thanks. :smile: 

Re: Celebrating in the USA but living in France

• Options
    Buy a bigger suitcase and have a little faith in the intelligence of your guests? Most people will know this and either have things sent to your home or buy things that are easy to carry. You can also look into having things shipped back to France.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    No matter how big the size of the suitcase which also has regulation limits it can't be over 50 pounds per suitcase. Each extra suitcase is well over $100 with a maximum four suitcases. The shipping cost depends on the weight of the item and seeing as how I got a package from my family that weighed hardly anything with a shipping price of over $100, I'll gladly skip that.. Trying to be cost efficient as well! Thanks for the feedback. ;)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    No matter how big the size of the suitcase which also has regulation limits it can't be over 50 pounds per suitcase. Each extra suitcase is well over $100 with a maximum four suitcases. The shipping cost depends on the weight of the item and seeing as how I got a package from my family that weighed hardly anything with a shipping price of over $100, I'll gladly skip that.. Trying to be cost efficient as well! Thanks for the feedback. ;)
  • Options
    I guess I don't understand the point of having a shower in the US if the cost of shipping is prohibitively expensive for both the giver and the receiver. It sounds like the logistics just aren't ideal for a gift-giving event.
  • Options
    dufferoo said:
    I guess I don't understand the point of having a shower in the US if the cost of shipping is prohibitively expensive for both the giver and the receiver. It sounds like the logistics just aren't ideal for a gift-giving event.
    Agree. At that point you're better off saving the money and just buying everything yourself.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    VORVOR member
    My advice- ask that your hostess NOT call this get together a shower.  Just call it a party and sure, the point is to see you while you're in the States.  If people call and ask where you're registered, the hostess can then say that due to traveling and weight restrictions, you don't need anything as you won't be able to take it home with you. 

This will then leave the guests the option to get you something simple, like a gift card, or a small outfit, or ... something. 

I think if you don't call it a shower and beg off the gifts, people will still get you something but it's more ensured to be small.
  • Options
    Late to the party, but my friend lives in Australia and had a shower in the US. She packed extremely light coming over here, and bought another suitcase and some vacuum pack bags. Turns out, low and behold, all of her guests had common sense and she got a lot of gift cards towards certain things that she wanted to buy, and items that would be easy to bring back with her in the vacuum pack bags. Not that big of a deal.