Baby Names

Middle Name for Nixon

We are using Nixon for our baby boy. We love it! Now we need to come up with a middle name. We have been having a heck of a time. Our last name starts with Mc and is 3 syllables long so I was thinking 1 maybe 2 syllable middle name. Help!

Re: Middle Name for Nixon

• One syllable: John, James, Luke, Brett, Cruz, Paul, Grant, Miles

Two Syllable: Andrew, Robert, Peter, Samuel, Matthew, Michael
  • Loading the player...
  • @bbiutmcph I get that to some it has that association but I believe with all the time gone by it shouldn't be a negative thing for a baby born in 2016. I took a poll at my son's birthday party and half of the people around 30yrs old and younger have heard of the president with that name but didn't really connect anything with it. If you google famous serial killers, they all have fairly common names but if you met a little boy named Ted (Theodore) would you automatically think of Ted Bundy? Celebrities also that are trouble makers like Lindsey...Lindsey Lohan? A name is a name and if people are going to judge based upon that, they are not worth the time of day. Thank you so much for your opinion though, I appreciate good and bad.  :)
  • @Bringmemylongswordho I have never in my life heard of Tricky Dickie so I am guessing some of the rest of the population hasn't wither. Besides that, "Dickie" would be for Richard and we are not using that name. Nicknames can be made up for any child with any name. We had a girl in our class that the mean kids called Fatty Patty because she was a little over weight. 
  • Here's an article to share with your friends and family:  https://www.usnews.com/news/special-reports/the-worst-presidents/articles/2014/12/17/worst-presidents-richard-nixon-1969-1974

As for the middle names:
    Nixon David
    Nixon Andrew
    Nixon James
    Nixon Oliver
    Nixon Conner
  • Thanks everyone! We love the name and I definitely will not cry over people judging my child over a name. There are tons of crazy names out there. We as Americans have had so many crooked presidents, leaders, or other political figures it is insane. That also trickles down the line to state leaders, bosses, teachers, etc. There is at least a handful of names any one person would have a negative reaction to but living around that won't make the world go around. 
  • @jamiesc58 I'm actually super curious how you came up with this name? 
  • antoto said:
    I am trying so hard not to judge - but seriously... he was our PRESIDENT a few decades ago.  His presidency had enormous impact on the country in which we live today.  Perhaps in your specific group some people have not heard of him... but if your son goes pretty much anywhere else people will have heard of Richard Nixon and they will immediately associate your son with it.

This is not at all like Lindsey Lohan because Lindsey is an extremely common first name - the only Nixon I can think of is Richard Nixon.  Now if you wanted to name your kid Lohan I would immediately think of Lindsey - see how that works?

I am under 30... just sayin'.
    So much this
  • jamiesc58 said:
    @bbiutmcph I get that to some it has that association but I believe with all the time gone by it shouldn't be a negative thing for a baby born in 2016. I took a poll at my son's birthday party and half of the people around 30yrs old and younger have heard of the president with that name but didn't really connect anything with it. If you google famous serial killers, they all have fairly common names but if you met a little boy named Ted (Theodore) would you automatically think of Ted Bundy? Celebrities also that are trouble makers like Lindsey...Lindsey Lohan? A name is a name and if people are going to judge based upon that, they are not worth the time of day. Thank you so much for your opinion though, I appreciate good and bad.  :)
    I don't really get this argument. Do the opinions of people over 30 years old not matter? I guess I just don't understand why you would want to go forward with a name with such negative baggage to it. Even the first part of the word, "nix" has a negativity to it. Naming him Nick or Nicholas after your husband, (which I think is why you like Nixon, if I remember correctly), would mean so much more and avoid this whole issue. Just my two cents.
  • @antoto dh's name is Nicholas and he goes by Nick. Nixon literally means Nick's son. His first son (my step son) has already been somewhat named after him so that is out. Dh found Nixon online when he was searching, saw that, and has loved it since.
  • @SmrBrd2012 I took all opinions into consideration. I only mentioned the people 30 and under because in reality, these will be the people our children with be surrounded with growing up. My grandmas are almost 80 and neither had a negative comment about the name at all. My dad asked "Nixon, like Richard Nixon". I said "Yes does that bother you?" He said "No why would it?"
  • @antoto DH's son was taken from him (by the birth mother) when the baby was 4 months old. She moved from Michigan to Florida. They were both young (19yrs) and dh didn't have anyone behind him to help or point him in the right direction on how to go about being able to see his son. His son is now 16 years old and we have talked to him twice in the past year and a half and it is only because he contacted us from his uncle's house. Long story short, this is our first son together and it would be nice for us to be able to have a name that represents dh in some way. Nixon just happens to be the one he loves.
  • FWIW...neither son is or will be a "Jr". DH's first son has a variant of his name not the same name. 
  • Is this even real? Please be MUD.
  • antoto said:
    FiancB said:
    jamiesc58 said:
    @antoto DH's son was taken from him (by the birth mother) when the baby was 4 months old. She moved from Michigan to Florida. They were both young (19yrs) and dh didn't have anyone behind him to help or point him in the right direction on how to go about being able to see his son. His son is now 16 years old and we have talked to him twice in the past year and a half and it is only because he contacted us from his uncle's house. Long story short, this is our first son together and it would be nice for us to be able to have a name that represents dh in some way. Nixon just happens to be the one he loves.
    If I was this kid, this would make me feel a bit like a replacement. Plus, I'm guessing they'll have YH's last name so they already have something that represents him? But I'll put that aside since I admit that I'm not a fan of Jr.s for that reason and that's a me-problem. 
    This was my reaction as well.  If I were that first son I would definitely be hurt by that. It sounds like a re-do.  Like the first one didn't go as planned so let's try that again - instead of seeing this as a totally different child who should have their own identity.
    I would also consider it a relationship ending move. 
  • @jamiesc58 do you have any family members that you could incorporate for a middle name? Maybe that would help with your options.

As for MNs that sound good with Nixon:
    Nixon John
    Nixon Alexander
    Nixon Michael
    Nixon James
    Nixon Everett
    Nixon Alan
    Nixon Reeve

Also I should note that in my 2016 baby name book Nixon ranked 587 in 2014. So you definitely aren't the only person who has named your baby Nixon!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Obviously, you can name your child whatever you want, but I strongly suggest a nn he goes by and a middle name he can go by later. Incase the association is too much for him. I'm guessing the 'X' in the name is making it appealing? Many names with an 'X' in them are hot names right now.