Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Induction at 40 weeks

Hi ladies....While I'm only 16 wks currently we just had our 16 wk dr appt this AM and we were talking to the nurse about possibly switching dr's.  I really want to deliver at a local hospital that has the water tubs you can labor in- not actually deliver baby in a pool or anything but you can labor in these tubs and they are supposed to help with pain relief.  So we asked the nurse when she would recommend switching dr's and she said as soon as possible just so you can develop a relationship with the new dr.  Personally- I am not that concerned about the dr that actually does the delivery because from what I've heard- it's usually not the same person who you have all of your pre-natal visits with anyways.

I am concerned though to hear that this particular dr's "practice" is to induce his pt's at 40 wks whether its necessary or not.....

tell me how it really is ladies!!

Re: Induction at 40 weeks

• Options
    MNturnsVA said:
    Hi ladies....While I'm only 16 wks currently we just had our 16 wk dr appt this AM and we were talking to the nurse about possibly switching dr's.  I really want to deliver at a local hospital that has the water tubs you can labor in- not actually deliver baby in a pool or anything but you can labor in these tubs and they are supposed to help with pain relief.  So we asked the nurse when she would recommend switching dr's and she said as soon as possible just so you can develop a relationship with the new dr.  Personally- I am not that concerned about the dr that actually does the delivery because from what I've heard- it's usually not the same person who you have all of your pre-natal visits with anyways.

I am concerned though to hear that this particular dr's "practice" is to induce his pt's at 40 wks whether its necessary or not.....

Can you not refuse to be induced? the doctor cant force you to go to the hospital for an induction.

But if you aren't comfortable with the doctors practice, I would go there at all. Can you find a midwife in your area?

**** Formerly Snoflakes4eva****

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I would switch doctors sooner rather than later. Its not super uncommon to have a different doctor deliver you but I had my appointments with three different doctors and saw all three when in labor- so one was the doctor who was there when I delivered. You don't know when you'll go into labor so if you wait until the last trimester to switch there's no guarantee you won't go into labor before you've had a chance to switch. Or they might not have a spot for you if you wait too long.
    and you don't have to consent to an induction. Some doctors will offer them at 40 weeks but that doesn't mean you have to choose one. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    MNturnsVA said:

Can you not refuse to be induced? the doctor cant force you to go to the hospital for an induction.

But if you aren't comfortable with the doctors practice, I would go there at all. Can you find a midwife in your area?

all of this!
  • Options
    No, i'm not consenting to anything.  I don't want to be induced at 40 weeks just because that is this particular dr's standard practice.....We are going to go to the next appt with him and ask him if that's how he does things.  If his answer is yes, we are most definitely switching.  I don't want him to be our dr and have him schedule me for an induction and have it be a big deal at that point.....
  • Options
    4N6s4N6s member
    I was induced (10 days late and my water broke) and couldn't labor in the tub because I was hooked up to everything ever. 
  • Options
    Birth plans should be strictly individual since no 2 moms are the same. That being said, general consensus is not to let babies go over 2 weeks late, but they still do on a case by case basis. Due to my age and a couple of stillbirths in the family we decided not to go over 1 week late. He came 2 days before the scheduled induction. I would definitely switch doctors if he insists on induction at 40 weeks. 
  • Options
    My dr offered induction at 40 weeks, but didn't insist on it... Hopefully that's what yours meant! If you have any misgivings about your current care, please find a new OB. I switched mine at 12wks, after having been at the practice for GYN for 17 years, because I didn't like some of their policies for OB patient. It was the best thing I ever did, and if you look now as PP stated it gives you time to build that relationship. GL! 

8 Years
    2 Miscarriages
    2 Ectopic Pregnancies
    1 Round of Clomid
    1 Fresh IVF Cycle
    1 Bean and 5 Frosties!