1st Trimester
Options

Colds and flu!!! What to do???

yellingbananayellingbanana member
edited April 2016 in 1st Trimester
I had the flu when we conceived, and was taking all kinds of medicines: ibuprofen, decongestants, cough suppressant, expectorant, tylonal! 
I found out we are expecting on Friday and have stopped everything except cough drops. Anyone else out there suffering from a cold?

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Colds and flu!!! What to do???

• Options
    MissWaldorfMissWaldorf member
    edited April 2016
    If you are concerned by what you had taken before you knew you were pregnant you don't need to be. 
    Plenty of women including myself took meds not deemed safe for pregnancy, and even drank before finding out they were expecting and have perfectly healthy pregnancies. 
    You can also Google safe meds for a cold during pregnancy but Tylenol is generally the go to pain relief medication while pregnant. 
    Depending on the severity of your cold (if you feel you need a RX) or if you want more reassurance you can always call your OB office and leave a message with the answering service and a doctor will get back to you shortly. 
    I hope you feel better soon!
    edited for clarity. 
  • Options
    If you are concerned by what you had taken before you knew you were pregnant you don't need to be. 
    Plenty of women including myself took meds not deemed safe for pregnancy, and even drank before finding out they were expecting and have perfectly healthy pregnancies. 
    You can also Google safe meds for a cold during pregnancy but Tylenol is generally the go to pain relief medication while pregnant. 
    Depending on the severity of your cold (if you feel you need a RX) or if you want more reassurance you can always call your OB office and leave a message with the answering service and a doctor will get back to you shortly. 
    I hope you feel better soon!
    edited for clarity. 
    This. Call your dr and explain that even though you know it's too early for a visit (average first visit between 6-8 weeks), see if they can either email you or give you a list of what is deemed "pregnancy safe" for when you're sick. 

Also, most of what you were taking beforehand is probably on that list, except for Advil/ibuprofen. Just make smart choices, but don't go overboard with worrying. I conceived before my wedding (oops!!) and drank myself
    stupid on my honeymoon, not knowing I was pregnant. So far, all tests have come back normal and I'm 32 weeks today. 

Dont stress yourself :) enjoy the ride, because it's a long one, and there will be things to actually stress about later. Happy and healthy 9 months!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker