Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

12 month old with baby on the way

So my son is now 12 months old and I am pregnant with our second child. My son will be 17 months old when she is born, is there anything I can do to start getting him used to the idea of having another baby in the house?

Re: 12 month old with baby on the way

• He is probably too young to comprehend a new baby. I would read books and talk about the new baby a lot. Use the new baby's name when you decide on it to get you DS comfortable with it.

**** Formerly Snoflakes4eva****

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • He is probably too young to comprehend a new baby. I would read books and talk about the new baby a lot. Use the new baby's name when you decide on it to get you DS comfortable with it.

This. I'm afraid your LO is way too young to be prepped for this.
  • Loading the player...
  • We really like the book: I am a big sister, by Caroline Jayne Church. (There is a brother version.)  
    Adding to what PPs said, if you don't already have them in the house, buy a couple of little baby dolls. Then you can "practice" how we play with baby. I didn't really present it to daughter as practicing, I would just talk to her about the baby doll, and how to play with it. It is also great now that little sister is here, she can "take care of" her dolly while I feed sister. 
    (Daughter was right at 20mo when little sister was born, so a bit older than yours will be, but I think it would still work about the same. ) 
  • Thank you for the tips!!

• hi @Klaz4143 !! my daughter had just turned 12 months when i had my son ( one year and one day apart!!) not planned ha even though she was way too young to understand - i let her touch and see my belly and she used to rest and kiss my belly and babble ' baby.' she loves her baby brother !! lots and lots of attention for her when my son came along and didn't over fuss my son too much (he was sleeping most of the time ) she loves playing the big sister role now !! ( DD 19months DS 7months)  
  • In the same boat my son will be 18momths older than his sister or brother we don't know yet have two more weeks until the Ultrasound:) but I have been constantly telling him "baby" and pointing to my my ever growing belly haha 
  • We gave our toddler a doll. Ours are 14 mos apart. 

Didnt get interested in baby until 4 mos old when baby wants to interact. 

Toddler liked helping with baby early though. Helping burp.