January 2016 Moms

Things you keep telling yourself

What do you keep telling yourself to get through rough days or nights? I keep repeating the same things to myself and try to keep them in mind when I get frustrated-- it usually helps. Baby is 14 weeks tomorrow and we have 2 1/2 year old daughter. The toddler hasn't been feeling well so she's been whiny and waking up a lot at night (every hour last night, plus ds's 2 feedings). That, coupled with nap troubles with the baby, I keep reminding myself of how it was with dd was she was ds's age and how things change so quickly... I keep telling myself everything is a phase, by the time you figure out this stage the next one will be here... Baby is going to be 2 before you know it so you should enjoy the middle of the night cuddles while you can!... He'll be on more of a schedule eventually. What one year old is still napping 3, 4, 5 random times a day?... One day soon you can just plop him in the crib and he'll fall asleep on his own within 10 minutes, like dd did... I know there are a million things I say to myself throughout the day to remember it does get so much easier! It's especially challenging with a toddler, too, but I love it. Just wondering what others tell themselves to push through?!!

Re: Things you keep telling yourself

• It's funny because when our son was 2 weeks old, we kept saying, once he's three months, everything will feel much better and much easier...and now that we are here, it is much better but there are definitely challenges at 13 weeks just like there were at 2 weeks!  now that I'm back to work, the roles are reversed and now my wife stays at home with our son.  It's been really hard on the both of us to switch roles after 3 months, and I feel like ds also feels the change.  It's been really stressful and I've been freaking out about my milk supply.  One of the Doctors I work with have me some great advice: "just focus on the here and now, bc one day you'll wake up and your son will be grown up, and you'll realize that all of the stress and energy you put toward pumping, schedules, and arguing was just a waste of time that could have gone toward your son."  Ever since then (2 weeks ago), I have been so relaxed and free and not worried.  I know everything will work out and be fine. I also kiss him ALL THE TIME, bc I know one day he won't want any kisses from me
  • It seems like when you are having a really hard day you forget all of the good! That's me anyways! Dd will have a few days where she is angel baby and has mommy thinking "maybe one more???!" ;) Then boom! Badbadbad days and I'm overwhelmed with anxiety worrying something is wrong! I have a hard time leaving her because I get so anxious so I hardly ever give myself a break! But!! When the going gets tough I try to look at her for what she is... A baby. A sweet, innocent, loving, dependent gift. And I tell myself that someday I'm going to miss these cries, I'm going to miss her fighting sleep, I'll even miss her hands getting stuck in my hair, because she won't always or really ever need me as much as she does now. Sometimes when I lay her down and she starts screaming because she wants me to keep holding her I laugh... Not because I'm evil ;) lol but because she's so little and cute and it pleases me to cuddle her so if she wants to be held all day and sleep on my chest, fine. It's hard but it is so worth it!
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you so much for starting this thread. I find it is so easy to get stressed and caught up in what you should be doing vs what you can do that it's easy to forget how quickly time goes by. When she was younger, maybe 3 weeks, I would get so frustrated waking up in the middle of the night. But then I realized that she is getting big so fast and it's only for such a short period of time that she needs me like this. So since then I have tried to have a positive attitude at night, albeit some nights it's hard!

This thread actually made me feel a ton better bc I have been having a rough time the past two weeks. Between nearly loosing my uterus and almost dying in my d&c to LO being completely different and difficult, it's been really tough. So thank you again!  
  • Just hang in there @ekscopp I get so wrapped up in how hard it is for me and I've been healthy for the most part I can't imagine how you must be feeling. Just remember that you are doing a good job, you are enough for your baby, it will get easier but don't forget to stop and enjoy your itty bitty one while they are still itty bitty! If you're LO is crying it is because they love you and trust you to tend to their needs! I have been trying to work through anxiety and the stress of being a stah mom(being isolated) and have decided to reach out more. If you ever want/need to talk just let me know!
  • Having a 16 month old and an almost 3 month old, I get frustrated so easily. I'm exhausted and run down. I keep telling myself to slow down. Enjoy the moment. Laugh at the ridiculousness of the situation, because tomorrow they will be a day older and we can't get this day back. They will be grown before I know it. And it is exciting to watch them grow, and heartbreaking all at the same time. One day, all too soon, they won't want to snuggle, or share their lunch with me, or want me to kiss their boo-boos. And then some day, hopefully not too soon, we will watch them become parents and show their kids the same love we gave them...
  • I needed this thread! I sometimes forget that each day is SO very different from the day before. Griffin may have 2-3 amazing days of sleep and happiness and then BAM! We get a day or two of ups and downs.  I always try and analyze why he may be having a difficult time and I get myself worked up over it.  

He's almost 4 months old and while we're on the upside to many of the issues we were dealing with at 4 weeks old, there are those rough days.  I need to keep reminding myself that I am doing an amazing job, DH is doing an amazing job and that DS is the BEST thing that has happened to our family.  He truly brings so much joy not only to us, but both mine and DH's family members too.  
  • I remind myself that it's all so temporary and that it's okay the make the kids my number one focus rather than stressing about work or getting stuff done around the house.
  • It helped me a lot when I realized that when I'm frustrated with DD, to take a deep breath and remember that she's not trying to make me miserable. "She's a baby and can't help it." That has gotten me through a lot of rough days of crying, or when she only wants to be held, or walked around the house, or bounced AND sung to. 

• I'm a teacher who just went back last week.  I have a pretty easy-going LO, but she is always a little fussy in the evening.  I'm missing her cute cooing and smiling in the morning when she's the happiest.  I only get 3 hours with her in the evening before bed, but I keep telling myself that we'll make up for it on the weekends (which we did for 2 hours this morning), and that summer is just 6 weeks away.